How many of you have dual subs?

Akshit2111

I am close to starting out my research on subwoofers. Too many questions!! Just need to find a way to logically frame them :p
For a start, since many ppl rave about having dual subs i would like to know how was your experience after going dual for the first time like a few words wud be helpful.
You can share your experience on the basis of a demo as well
Thanks in advance :)

For a start, since many ppl rave about having dual subs i would like to know how was your experience after going dual for the first time like a few words wud be helpful. You can share your experience on the basis of a demo as well

Multiple subs help in the way of taming down the low freq room resonance <=80Hz.. With each addition of subwoofer in your room, you get ~ +3dB SPL to the low freq in your room and a smoother response at your listening positions..

From no subwoofer in my set-up, i went with dual subs without any audition in my tiny room of 14 x 11ft was great.. And now will be moving to quad subs sooner..

I am close to starting out my research on subwoofers. Too many questions!! Just need to find a way to logically frame them :p
For a start, since many ppl rave about having dual subs i would like to know how was your experience after going dual for the first time like a few words wud be helpful.
You can share your experience on the basis of a demo as well
Thanks in advance :)

Budget for space and WAF. Then decide if two subs make sense.
It is really challenging to fit (and integrate) one sub into shared listening space, let alone two.
If you can host them, add pillows on it to make them temporary seaters ;)

Disclosure:
I have one sub (sitting in a corner); a really old one.
Dunno whether it is fully integrated into the room; but it gives a mean rumble when required to.

Cheers,
Raghu

I used to run a pair of Merlin Bookshelves with 2 REL Strata's some time back. 2 subs make a lot of sense technically but its very complex to get them right so that they lock in to the room. The WAF that Raghupb talks about in terms of their own space, the power cables and the connections also make it very messy.
I miss the sub 25Hz Content but happier to move to a simpler setup as the fiddly character that I am, I kept trying to change the crossover/volume for every track to get them right and that drove me up the wall !

Last edited:
I too own 2 subs. Its DIY 12" sealed sub powered by DIY 300 watts amp.

I use dual sub for Stereo listening (audio only) in my 18x20 living room and I am happy with the performance. If budget allows, I would always prefer dual subs especially sealed ones.

I used to run a pair of Merlin Bookshelves with 2 REL Strata's some time back. 2 subs make a lot of sense technically but its very complex to get them right so that they lock in to the room. The WAF that Raghupb talks about in terms of their won space the power cables and the connections also make it very messy. i miss the sub 25Hz Content but happier to move to a simpler setup but the fiddly character that i am i kept trying to change the crossover/volume for every track to get them right and that drove me up the wall !
But if the room is small adding a dual what do u think about cost to benefit ratio? 13×12×9.

I too own 2 subs. Its DIY 12" sealed sub powered by DIY 300 watts amp.

I use dual sub for Stereo listening (audio only) in my 18x20 living room and I am happy with the performance. If budget allows, I would always prefer dual subs especially sealed ones.

M kind of inclining towards svs sb 1000. Once i extend my room ill buy one more. But for me i am not 100% into music. For me what ends up happening is 70% music 30% movies..

Budget for space and WAF. Then decide if two subs make sense.
It is really challenging to fit (and integrate) one sub into shared listening space, let alone two.
If you can host them, add pillows on it to make them temporary seaters ;)

Disclosure:
I have one sub (sitting in a corner); a really old one.
Dunno whether it is fully integrated into the room; but it gives a mean rumble when required to.

Cheers,
Raghu
Yes.. but right now i dont have much furniture in my room. I cn accomodate 2 subs but budget wud be a constraint. Either i can get svs or i wud get like two polks. So what do u suggest.

Multiple subs help in the way of taming down the low freq room resonance <=80Hz.. With each addition of subwoofer in your room, you get ~ +3dB SPL to the low freq in your room and a smoother response at your listening positions..

From no subwoofer in my set-up, i went with dual subs without any audition in my tiny room of 14 x 11ft was great.. And now will be moving to quad subs sooner..

Like straight even without any audition?

Yup.. I read few articles on benefits on dual subs and that was convincing enough for a blind buy..
I agree dual is better. But is it that good i be extending my budget and postpone my purchase for some other day. This wud be my first sub.

I agree dual is better. But is it that good i be extending my budget and postpone my purchase for some other day. This wud be my first sub.

Having used dual subs, yes.. Not necessarily the popular brands if you have to extend your budget.. Two subs from any brand will do..

What is your budget?..

1 good sub is far better than 2 subs inferior to that. for the pruce, get a good single sub and try and integrate.

If cost was no object you could do dual, but if budget issues make you go for a inferior sub then 2 of them will not give you better bass

1 good sub is far better than 2 subs inferior to that. for the pruce, get a good single sub and try and integrate.

If cost was no object you could do dual, but if budget issues make you go for a inferior sub then 2 of them will not give you better bass

What is a good sub & what is an inferior sub?..

While superior and inferior are dependent on the models, a simpler model is if you can afford to buy a single good sub, you will be better off with two with one level lower. For example, instead of a SVS SB2000, buy two SVS SB1000. Comparing two different models is too complex.

While superior and inferior are dependent on the models, a simpler model is if you can afford to buy a single good sub, you will be better off with two with one level lower. For example, instead of a SVS SB2000, buy two SVS SB1000. Comparing two different models is too complex.
Actually I was saying exactly the opposite! Having experimented with 2 subs and fairly good ones. the B1000 is 500 USD and 2000 is 700 USD. if you can afford USD1000 (for the 2 B1000s) i would say get a PB2000 or even a good Rhythmic sub you will get better quality bass

Actually I was saying exactly the opposite! Having experimented with 2 subs and fairly good ones. the B1000 is 500 USD and 2000 is 700 USD. if you can afford USD1000 (for the 2 B1000s) i would say get a PB2000 or even a good Rhythmic sub you will get better quality bass
I am not doubting the quality. However, multiple subs allow the spreading of bass evenly in a room. Even the best of subs will suffer from room related issues, which are hard to treat or control.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back