How to carry a projector from the US

rikhi22s

Hello FMs - I have short-listed Epson HC2000 and planning to order the same from Amazon.com. It will be delivered to my friend's local address in NY and I plan to bring it to Hyderabad towards the end of April.

What is the best way to carry it home?

1) Remove the packing box, wrap the projector in some clothes and carry it in the cabin baggage.

2) Do the same but put it in the check-in baggage

3) Keep it factory packed and carry it as a cabin baggage

4) Keep it factory packed and put it in the bag for check-in baggage

5) Any other option :)

Looking forward for your suggestion.

Thank you,

If it can be kept in cabin luaggage and allowed to carry as such, u may do so.
If not, u can pack it well and keep it in Check in baggage.
Factory packed may reduce the space in the check-in bag/carrying it as factory packed will make it one piece of check in bag.

Siva

My friend carried it in his check-in luggage. He did not remove any box/cover and placed the package in between the clothes to reduce the impact. He did not mention the baggage as fragile during checkin neither did he declare to the customs and passed from green channel without facing any issues.

I got the box with original seal intact. The packing has a air bubble wrapping apart from thermocol packing in the box which was quite reassuring.

Hope this helps.

1) Remove the packing box, wrap the projector in some clothes and carry it in the cabin baggage.

I've always travelled by Emirates and Air India from the United States, hand baggage rules are more or less similar. The dimensions allowed are upto 22 x 15 x 8 inches (55 x 38 x 20cm) and weight upto 7kg. Measure the dimensions and weight of your packed up (in original packing) projector and ascertain if it falls within these limits. If it does'nt from a size perspective, reduce the size of the packaging. In my opinion, it is always better to have the original packing because you will have to place your projector in the over-head luggage compartments, which are usually jam-packed with stuff. The original packaging will offer some protection, especially when the aircraft inclines during take-off and landing.

It would look odd if you wrap the projector with clothes and carry it :lol: You'll have to do this right through the airport, customs, etc and you'll definitely trigger off a lot of smiles on the way.

If you do so, ensure that the projector is properly packaged (possibly with a double box approach). Pad up for both impact caused by throwing and weight resistance (baggage may be stacked). In my opinion, don't use this option unless absolutely necessary. It is better to check the equipment in, with its original packing or an additional outer box packaging but you'll tend to attract un-wanted attention when you roll your trolley about the place with electronics stacked up (especially with customs). Baggage handlers at airports tend to handle checked in electronics in original box (with a fragile sticker) with a lot more care but there are no gaurantees.

Please refer to my reply for point-1

Please refer to my reply for point-2

Shipping is the other option, risky and expensive (and will also attract customs duty, courtesy, Indian customs)

I have hand carried turntables from the United States, packed in their original factory box packaging. Brought them home safely. Have also hand carried LP records both wrapped in strong pager and also in a small box. Again, reached home safely.

Hello FMs - I have short-listed Epson HC2000 and planning to order the same from Amazon.com. It will be delivered to my friend's local address in NY and I plan to bring it to Hyderabad towards the end of April.

Looking forward for your suggestion.

Thank you,

Last edited:
I have carried back an Optoma HD20 projector in my hand baggage from the US. I did not want to risk NOT testing the projector before I headed back hence had to open the box. The projector by itself fitted in my hand baggage with personal clothing around it.
The customs guys in Bangalore did not object to it during the hand baggage scan and that was it.

Now, given that it was a DLP projector, the color wheel is a moving part so you dont want to shake and rattle the projector and risk damage. Therefore you are better off carrying it in cabin baggage with or without the package depending on how it fits into your carry on.

My optoma HD20 was carried from US using option 1 without any issues.

Check-in is also not bad if marked as fragile/with factory packing - IMO.

If I trying carry projector into cabin. but if suppose by chance the airport authority not allow to carry the projector in cabin, then what should I do? should I keep there or still I have access to put into my main check in bag.

how many percent of chances that airport authority not allow to carry projector into cabin.?

best way is to take off the box and bubble wrap the projector then put the projector in between the clothes of the main luggage not in the hand luggage.that's wat i did while coming from UK ;)

If I trying carry projector into cabin. but if suppose by chance the airport authority not allow to carry the projector in cabin, then what should I do? should I keep there or still I have access to put into my main check in bag.

how many percent of chances that airport authority not allow to carry projector into cabin.?

Buddy don't take risk trust me. some people might ask and some don't care except gels, liquids etc in the hand luggage.

why to take headache ? Just put the projector in the main luggage and don't forget to pack well that's it. :p

My Optoma HD131xe was brought from US by a friend. He wrapped the whole package with those air filled packing material (not bubble wrap) and carried in his check in luggage. No questions asked in customs either, everything went without any hiccups.

As I received mix opinion, some people suggest for handbag option and some for check in luggage.

handbag option:
Cons: If while security check, it not allow into cabin.. then what?

Main check in bag option:
Cons: Damage the product . how many percent chances for damage?, if pack properly like bubble wrap the projector then put the projector in between the clothes of the main luggage.

As my knowledge, here big cons is hand bag option...

Waiting for your view.

I've always travelled by Emirates and Air India from the United States, hand baggage rules are more or less similar. The dimensions allowed are upto 22 x 15 x 8 inches (55 x 38 x 20cm) and weight upto 7kg. Measure the dimensions and weight of your packed up (in original packing) projector and ascertain if it falls within these limits. If it does'nt from a size perspective, reduce the size of the packaging. In my opinion, it is always better to have the original packing because you will have to place your projector in the over-head luggage compartments, which are usually jam-packed with stuff. The original packaging will offer some protection, especially when the aircraft inclines during take-off and landing.

It would look odd if you wrap the projector with clothes and carry it :lol: You'll have to do this right through the airport, customs, etc and you'll definitely trigger off a lot of smiles on the way.

If you do so, ensure that the projector is properly packaged (possibly with a double box approach). Pad up for both impact caused by throwing and weight resistance (baggage may be stacked). In my opinion, don't use this option unless absolutely necessary. It is better to check the equipment in, with its original packing or an additional outer box packaging but you'll tend to attract un-wanted attention when you roll your trolley about the place with electronics stacked up (especially with customs). Baggage handlers at airports tend to handle checked in electronics in original box (with a fragile sticker) with a lot more care but there are no gaurantees.

Please refer to my reply for point-1

Please refer to my reply for point-2

Shipping is the other option, risky and expensive (and will also attract customs duty, courtesy, Indian customs)

I have hand carried turntables from the United States, packed in their original factory box packaging. Brought them home safely. Have also hand carried LP records both wrapped in strong pager and also in a small box. Again, reached home safely.

Thanks reubensm - I guess the best thing would be to hand carry it or put it in the cabin baggage. I am flying Emirates business class and the baggage allowance says - 2 checkin and 2 cabin baggage (with the length and weight specs). I was only worried about customs as they may ask for the duty to be paid if I get the projector in the original packaging.

Thanks reubensm - I guess the best thing would be to hand carry it or put it in the cabin baggage. I am flying Emirates business class and the baggage allowance says - 2 checkin and 2 cabin baggage (with the length and weight specs). I was only worried about customs as they may ask for the duty to be paid if I get the projector in the original packaging.

If you are flying Emirates business class, then hand-carry. They will take good care of you. However please be sensitive to the baggage size specifications. They usually don't compromise on that when the port of entry is in the United States.

Another thing I should mention is that as per United States security protocol, check-in luggage cannot be locked (has to be left unlocked). Their security personnel will inspect and strap-seal (in most cases). Hence, keeping valuables in your checked-in luggage may not be a great idea. I had to unlock my check-in luggage despite flying business class on 2 occassions after 9/11, once from Houston and the other time from Los Angeles.

I was only worried about customs as they may ask for the duty to be paid if I get the projector in the original packaging.

A good way to divert attention is to get some thickish paper (probably brown in colour) and paste it all over the box, or simply change the box. Usually when you x-ray your hand luggage on arrival, the officer watching the screen signals to handler to make a mark or stick a little sticker on the box or bag if they notice some electronics or other items customs is looking for. The customs officers on the way out watch out for these little signs. Also, if they see you walking past with electronics, they will almost certainly notice. This can be avoided if the item is placed in your checked-in luggage.

I have done the brown paper trick successfully as here in Kerala, there are lot of guys (blue collared workers) who travel to and from the middle east. A lot of them don't use strolleys or suitcases but just use strong cardboard boxes for transporting their stuff. So when flights arrive from Dubai or other Middle East locations, there are lots of these cardboard boxes on the baggage conveyor belts. Hard for the customs guys to check all this :)

On another note, don't think you'll face any customs related trouble anyways as the import allowance for electronics is around the 25k mark (please check this). Not a bad idea to retain the original purchase invoice of the equipment with you.

What option we have If security person say that, This item not allow into cabin? can we are able to argue with them, can we show him rules and regulation if we are not wrong. I have one back pack and I want to carry my laptop and acer h5380bd projector in the same backpack. I also read somewhere there is chance to loss your item from checked in bag. I don't know how?

Last edited:
Not 25K but 35K now.

It means, Item upto 35K INR NO custom ? and we can show them product invoice and we are done.

Or if we already wrap off original package and we can say to custom this item is not brought from abroad now, I am using this item from long time.

Which option works well?

Just carry it in your back pack or hand luggage. no need to take the box. Just make sure, YOU handle the pack well. Only place you wont have control is during take off and landing and during turbulence. Just the put the bag in a compartment which is FULL at one end and use your other bag as a shield, which will most prolly have ur pair of clothes or sweets or laptop.. :). that's it.

No issues during check in security at US and most prolly u wont have any issues during in India also. Just treat it as a fragile item that you carrying from your end. Thats all. :).

And since you in business class. Just put the bag under the front seat or under yours. so that less chance of hitting others.

Have a safe trip.

Best way is to get rid of outer container- keep the cushion wrap material, wrap it in with your clothes and place in your checked luggage- Has worked for several items

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back