How to choose the right amplifier?

slimetcake

Hi everyone.

I'm a newcomer in the world of Hi-Fi, and I'm in serious need for help regarding the purchase of my very first amplifier, or maybe even a stereo receiver if that might turn out to be a better solution in any way? (let me know)

I have already choosen my floorstanding speakers - Dali Zensor 7 - which I have yet to buy. Now I simply need to pick an ideal amplifier for those speakers. The Recommended Amplifier Power [W] for the speakers: 40 - 150

Here's what I have been told so far:
I have had a few visits in my local Hi-Fi store, and the first time I was recommended to buy the NAD C326BEE, and I was told that those would go graet with the Zensor 7's. A few days later I went to another store owned by the same company as the previous store. When I asked which amplifier he would suggest me to buy he said the NAD C356BEE.
This got me thinking. I obviously asked him about the other amplifier that I was suggested, and he said, that I would have much more pleasure with the 356 rather than the 326, but I wasn't sure how to take that since the first guy in the first store didn't even mention the 356.

My question(s) for you guys:
What speaks for the, a little more expensive, NAD C356BEE rather than the C326BEE?
Is there a big hearable difference between those two amplifiers?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone.

I'm a newcomer in the world of Hi-Fi, and I'm in serious need for help regarding the purchase of my very first amplifier, or maybe even a stereo receiver if that might turn out to be a better solution in any way? (let me know)

I have already choosen my floorstanding speakers - Dali Zensor 7 - which I have yet to buy. Now I simply need to pick an ideal amplifier for those speakers. The Recommended Amplifier Power [W] for the speakers: 40 - 150

I have had a few visits in my local Hi-Fi store, and the first time I was recommended to buy the NAD C326BEE, and I was told that those would go graet with the Zensor 7's. A few days later I went to another store owned by the same company as the previous store. When I asked which amplifier he would suggest me to buy he said the NAD C356BEE.
This got me thinking. I obviously asked him about the other amplifier that I was suggested, and he said, that I would have much more pleasure with the 356 rather than the 326, but I wasn't sure how to take that since the first guy in the first store didn't even mention the 356.

What speaks for the, a little more expensive, NAD C356BEE rather than the C326BEE?

Thanks in advance!
The zensor 7s have a max power rating of 150 watts so you will need at least 70 to 80 watts amp power to drive them well. Pls note that you need this power even if you do not listen at high volumes to get the best dynamic response.

326 will be underpowered - go for 356

The zensor 7s have a max power rating of 150 watts so you will need at least 70 to 80 watts amp power to drive them well. Pls note that you need this power even if you do not listen at high volumes to get the best dynamic response.

326 will be underpowered - go for 356

Thanks for your answer.:eek:hyeah:
The Zensors are at 6 ohm, and the NAD C326BEE gives 2 X 125 WATTS at 6 ohm. Would I be fine with that amplifier then? If I were to get the NAD C356BEE instead which is at 145 WATTS at 8 ohm, would I then be able to hear an actual difference with my untrained Hi-fi ears? :licklips:

EDIT.
Nevermind. I didn't catch your last sentence there.
I'll go for the 356

Last edited:
Slimetcake, it looks like you are in Denmark - which is the home to some legendary audio equipment. At the very least, I would imagine that this is a highly evolved audio market.

Honestly, my only suggestion would be to not jump the gun and take your time and hear and "experience" various audio systems. Of course, I'm making a huge assumption that you haven't done so already. I only say so because your amp choices sound like the typical starter amp that most people go for. Please don't misunderstand me - I don't mean anything negative by this statement, nor is NAD is any way a bad amp at all.

I'm only saying so because of your location. In my limited personal experience, I've also found that small boutique manufacturers offer better quality or at least offer unique products. At the very least, they have lower marketing and dealer overheads, especially the ones that sell directly online. So, they can put better quality components in their products.

Hi everyone.

Thanks in advance!

you will definitely require at a minimum a 356. the 326 will be hugely underpowered. ideally you should look at the 375. this depends on your budget though. i suggest you listen to the amp on your speakers before you buy it. and audition various amps. each amp, though good, will have its own distinct sound signature and suits different listening requirements. what sort of music do you listen to

Hi dear...
I am also looking For Stereo Amplifier for Dali Zensor 7(5.1 Pkg) speakes...
Already one month now, and unable to find proper solution so...

I have also started Thread yesterday you may pls check following link:-

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/47545-need-advice-stereo-amplifier.html

As you are from Denmark & This Dali Speakers also manufactured
there..you have better option there to check & pair different
Amplifier personaly in local market..

If you find right match or any solution & you purchase any Amp...
I request you Pls inform me by Personal Mail....

Please note FM........Suggestion & Advice are wellcome by You All...

Thanx & Regards..
Rajubhai.....

Hi....

Check Peachtree Decco65 Stereo Amplfier..

Rajubhai..

Last edited:
you will definitely require at a minimum a 356. the 326 will be hugely underpowered. ideally you should look at the 375. this depends on your budget though. i suggest you listen to the amp on your speakers before you buy it. and audition various amps. each amp, though good, will have its own distinct sound signature and suits different listening requirements. what sort of music do you listen to

I have been looking at the 375 which I have concluded to be too expensive within my budget. I'm going for an amplifier that is about the same price as the 356. I'll mainly use my speakers for Pop, rock and techno which I will playing when using them at parties, so I do need an amplifier that is able to handle it properly.

The 326 might be underpowered, but I'll have a listen to it with the speakers just to get a feel for it, and see in what way it will be underpowered.

Slimetcake, it looks like you are in Denmark - which is the home to some legendary audio equipment. At the very least, I would imagine that this is a highly evolved audio market.

Honestly, my only suggestion would be to not jump the gun and take your time and hear and "experience" various audio systems. Of course, I'm making a huge assumption that you haven't done so already. I only say so because your amp choices sound like the typical starter amp that most people go for. Please don't misunderstand me - I don't mean anything negative by this statement, nor is NAD is any way a bad amp at all.

I'm only saying so because of your location. In my limited personal experience, I've also found that small boutique manufacturers offer better quality or at least offer unique products. At the very least, they have lower marketing and dealer overheads, especially the ones that sell directly online. So, they can put better quality components in their products.

You're right. I was probably a hasty right there. Of course I havn't made my final descision. I guess I was just in a moment when I said I was going for the 356. At least I know now that I might not be satisfied with the smaller 326.

I have a couple of friends who use Nad amplifiers, and I have only heard good about them. The store I visited also state that NAD is one of their favourite amplifier brands, but I'll obviously have to judge that for my self.

If you know of any amplifiers within the same price range as the 356 I'd love to hear any suggestions :) Then I could take a look at them and compare.

Hi dear...
I am also looking For Stereo Amplifier for Dali Zensor 7(5.1 Pkg) speakes...
Already one month now, and unable to find proper solution so...

I have also started Thread yesterday you may pls check following link:-

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/47545-need-advice-stereo-amplifier.html

As you are from Denmark & This Dali Speakers also manufactured
there..you have better option there to check & pair different
Amplifier personaly in local market..

If you find right match or any solution & you purchase any Amp...
I request you Pls inform me by Personal Mail....

Please note FM........Suggestion & Advice are wellcome by You All...

Thanx & Regards..
Rajubhai.....

I will definetly let you know as soon as I have made a final discision. I would be glad if you could do the same :eek:hyeah:

I have been looking at the 375 which I have concluded to be too expensive within my budget. I'm going for an amplifier that is about the same price as the 356. I'll mainly use my speakers for Pop, rock and techno which I will playing when using them at parties, so I do need an amplifier that is able to handle it properly.

The 326 might be underpowered, but I'll have a listen to it with the speakers just to get a feel for it, and see in what way it will be underpowered.

slimetcake, i dont think the nad is the amplifier you are looking for considering your listening habits and requirements. the nad is warmer and suitable more for relaxed listening etc. esp for rock, techno and at parties where you want something with a tighter and bigger bass, the nad will not work. perhaps try cambridge audio. you will require a more neutral sounding amp

you can also look at some of the high end amplifiers from china. i have listened to a couple and they are really good. not as refined at the likes of nad etc but definitely will suit your needs. there are also distributors in europe so if youre close to one you can audition. here is a link that sells online

Home

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back