How to choose the right turntable?

sebi

HI Guys,
I'm new to turntable pls go easy on me, Always fascinated in getting a turntable and with lack of knowledge I find it difficult to choose it.
Can you guys guide me in choosing the turntable.
Thanks

Budget 5k or 5lacs? And if u r already in doubt, don't buy one. Unless you have lots of time, patience and money, do not get into vinyl just because u r fascinated. IMHO.
Since you asked for budget, I would say that I would start with some low budget somewhere between 20-30K.Looks like honest opinion :)
But again I never know what kind of TT I would get it in that budget.

You can go with audio technica lp60 or marantz tt50 or denon. They are all between 14 to 25k range and good to start with

HI Guys,
I'm new to turntable pls go easy on me, Always fascinated in getting a turntable and with lack of knowledge I find it difficult to choose it.
Thanks
Choose one which can accommodate a range of tone arms and cartridges. VPI offers some budget level ones. Test used ones thoroughly before purchasing. Be careful of “vintage” ones if you plan to go that route.

Other key consideration is the phono preamp that you will drive these with.

Also you may not hear the magical vinyl sound initially as this depends a lot on the TT, cartridge, and the preamp to be of good quality.

Remember great TT with crappy cartridge = crappy sound. Avg TT with great cartridge = good to great sound.

Lastly, learn to setup and tune one yourself

First, does your present amplifier have phono input.
Do you have Lp records or have funds to procure them.
If the answer to both is no then my advise would be to reconsider getting into vinyl.
The initial expenses you are looking at can be broken into
1. phonostage
2. LP records
3. Turntable
4. Cartridge
5. Accessories like cleaning brush, alignment tools and so on.

If you are procuring used vinyl, the quality may not be up to mark.

Regards

kbhuvi mentioned a turntable cost components and to make it simpler, at the very basic level you really need to budget for the TT+Cartridge+Phono without which it is useless and then the accessories like cleaning supplies etc which makes it better

The quality of your vinyl as well as your amplifier/speakers will help you decide at the best option. If your are very sure on the budget, I would recommend a all in one ie TT with installed cartridge and phonostage. Just need to make sure that the cartridge is replaceable and the phonostage can be bypassed and any external one connected. ( some of them come without that flexibility)

Choose one which can accommodate a range of tone arms and cartridges. VPI offers some budget level ones. Test used ones thoroughly before purchasing. Be careful of “vintage” ones if you plan to go that route.

Other key consideration is the phono preamp that you will drive these with.

Also you may not hear the magical vinyl sound initially as this depends a lot on the TT, cartridge, and the preamp to be of good quality.

Remember great TT with crappy cartridge = crappy sound. Avg TT with great cartridge = good to great sound.

Lastly, learn to setup and tune one yourself
Thanks Mate,you had shared good enough information for me to do my own research before plunge into it.

First, does your present amplifier have phono input.
Do you have Lp records or have funds to procure them.
If the answer to both is no then my advise would be to reconsider getting into vinyl.
The initial expenses you are looking at can be broken into
1. phonostage
2. LP records
3. Turntable
4. Cartridge
5. Accessories like cleaning brush, alignment tools and so on.

If you are procuring used vinyl, the quality may not be up to mark.

Regards
Yes I have my Marantz 6013 which got phono input.
NO, I don't have LP records, as you said will start with new records instead of the used one.Also in regards on spending I would take it slowly than going at one go and I think I will be alright in term of money spend on this over the period of time.

kbhuvi mentioned a turntable cost components and to make it simpler, at the very basic level you really need to budget for the TT+Cartridge+Phono without which it is useless and then the accessories like cleaning supplies etc which makes it better

The quality of your vinyl as well as your amplifier/speakers will help you decide at the best option. If your are very sure on the budget, I would recommend a all in one ie TT with installed cartridge and phonostage. Just need to make sure that the cartridge is replaceable and the phonostage can be bypassed and any external one connected. ( some of them come without that flexibility)

Yep that's my exact idea, get all in one.Will see that I choose the one which cartridge replaceable option.
And what exactly is this Phonostage bypass?

HI Guys,
Thanks
Hi
SEBI
Glad to know that the vinyl bug has attacked you :D . But the journey with this black circular analogue is different as well as difficult one. However you can start with an entry level tt like audiotechnica lp60 and the like as it has inbuilt phono preamp and factory fitted cart with a stylus. You can go further later and buy costlier rig. At present you will need some fresh records to enjoy music .You can also get necessary info from the members in this lovely forum.
Cheers and happy listening
Bhaskar

Hello there
Since you are new to vinyl I would just put this briefly.
Turntables can be segregated into three types depending on how they are driven.
1. Idler drive 2. Belt drive 3. Direct drive. Further, they can be automatic or manual,

I guess the drive mechanism is simple to understand. Automatic means that the tonearm raises and places itself at the start of the record. If it is auto return also, the tonearm would return to rest at the end of the album. Pros : You can play at the flick of a switch. Cons : Mechanism needs to be tuned properly for trouble free working.

Manual : You need to place the tonearm at the start of the record and remove it at the end. May be auto return. Pros : Not much to go wrong. Cons: Manual placing the tonearm has a learning curve if cueing is absent. You may damage the stylus or the record or both.

Cueing : A mechanism by which you can lower or raise the tonearm. It is damped so that it rises or lowers slowly.

Tonearm : Fixed headshell or removable.

Tonearm cartridge compliance.

Vintage vs modern turntables.

I get the impression that you want to give your best shot and you are considering building up a system with a turntable as one of the sources. Please read on these topics first so that any suggestion is given, you can understand it in its entirety with all its pros and cons. Do your research first before spending the money and please don't be hasty in procuring the turntable.

First you have to know what kind of turntable you want i.e. direct drive or manual etc. Suggestions will be more appropriate if the forum members know what you are looking for.

Regards

Hi
SEBI
Glad to know that the vinyl bug has attacked you :D . But the journey with this black circular analogue is different as well as difficult one. However you can start with an entry level tt like audiotechnica lp60 and the like as it has inbuilt phono preamp and factory fitted cart with a stylus. You can go further later and buy costlier rig. At present you will need some fresh records to enjoy music .You can also get necessary info from the members in this lovely forum.
Cheers and happy listening
Bhaskar
HI Baskar,

Thanks for your valuable inputs, Audiotechnica lp60 looks to be decent one to start with. Certainly take this into consideration before I get into market.

HI Baskar,

Thanks for your valuable inputs, Audiotechnica lp60 looks to be decent one to start with. Certainly take this into consideration before I get into market.
Good luck for your entry into vinyl. I was also tempted into this world because I had an amp (Rotel RA 10) which is supposed to have an excellent phono stage (What Hifi). Also I wanted to hear vinyl myself. Surely there is magic to the sound but there is also a cost. One thing leads to another. Since I wanted to use the phono stage of the Rotel, I had to buy a TT (Marantz). Since I bought a TT, I had to justify the purchase by buying adequate LPs (mostly old Hindi films). With the Vinyls came all the cleaning stuff. At the end of the day I just wonder if it was all worth it- just my experience. Not to mention the cost of new LPs !

Hello there
Since you are new to vinyl I would just put this briefly.
Turntables can be segregated into three types depending on how they are driven.
1. Idler drive 2. Belt drive 3. Direct drive. Further, they can be automatic or manual,

I guess the drive mechanism is simple to understand. Automatic means that the tonearm raises and places itself at the start of the record. If it is auto return also, the tonearm would return to rest at the end of the album. Pros : You can play at the flick of a switch. Cons : Mechanism needs to be tuned properly for trouble free working.

Manual : You need to place the tonearm at the start of the record and remove it at the end. May be auto return. Pros : Not much to go wrong. Cons: Manual placing the tonearm has a learning curve if cueing is absent. You may damage the stylus or the record or both.

Cueing : A mechanism by which you can lower or raise the tonearm. It is damped so that it rises or lowers slowly.

Tonearm : Fixed headshell or removable.

Tonearm cartridge compliance.

Vintage vs modern turntables.

I get the impression that you want to give your best shot and you are considering building up a system with a turntable as one of the sources. Please read on these topics first so that any suggestion is given, you can understand it in its entirety with all its pros and cons. Do your research first before spending the money and please don't be hasty in procuring the turntable.

First you have to know what kind of turntable you want i.e. direct drive or manual etc. Suggestions will be more appropriate if the forum members know what you are looking for.

Regards
Hi Kbhuvi,

Thanks for the detailed writing.Yep as you said, I would do my own research on the information shared by members.
If you ask me now to choose between automatic or manual I would go with automatic route, though I have no idea what would it cost me.

Good luck for your entry into vinyl. I was also tempted into this world because I had an amp (Rotel RA 10) which is supposed to have an excellent phono stage (What Hifi). Also I wanted to hear vinyl myself. Surely there is magic to the sound but there is also a cost. One thing leads to another. Since I wanted to use the phono stage of the Rotel, I had to buy a TT (Marantz). Since I bought a TT, I had to justify the purchase by buying adequate LPs (mostly old Hindi films). With the Vinyls came all the cleaning stuff. At the end of the day I just wonder if it was all worth it- just my experience. Not to mention the cost of new LPs !
Wow that looks like long journey. The fact is I doesn't want to rush it, but who knows once everything is set I might tempted to buy more Vinyls.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back