How to clean or maintain the speaker outer surfaces ?

soamz

Hi, my setup is now almost a year old and I don't know, how to clean the surfaces.
Here are the few pictures of the speakers surfaces. I see,t he dirt is forming layers on the surface . Can someone shed some light how to clean them ?

separate the panel from the speakers

Take the panel out , and you may try blowing air using a blower / vaccum cleaner

Hope it helps

Tanoj

Take out the grills and wash them with some mild detergent and wipe them off with sponge.
The speaker cabinets can be cleaned using screen wipes.

Use of a vacuum cleaner to clean grills is good. Make sure to remove the grill off the speaker first. I use kind of big painting brush with soft bristles to clean speaker grill and cone (only woofer, not tweeter)

How often one should clean considering this way when it is a normal living room in a residential area?

Take out the grills. use a coat brush to clean the grills. Outer surface of the boxes can be cleaned with a very lightly moistened soft cloth. Wipe with a dry cloth immediately. It is better to fix a thin sheet of transparent plastic film on the top surface of the speakers where dust settles most. This will keep the top safe and clean( especially for surround speakers which are fixed high on a wall). I have covered all the speakers like this. Can change the sheets if they become dirty.

Take out the grills. use a coat brush to clean the grills. Outer surface of the boxes can be cleaned with a very lightly moistened soft cloth. Wipe with a dry cloth immediately. It is better to fix a thin sheet of transparent plastic film on the top surface of the speakers where dust settles most. This will keep the top safe and clean( especially for surround speakers which are fixed high on a wall). I have covered all the speakers like this. Can change the sheets if they become dirty.

thanks sir.
for the methods.and the drivers..should we touch them or just some mouth blow..

I clean the drivers with a soft plastic duster, the kind you get in a car accessories shop. No touching/ wiping the cones with fingers or cloth..The same duster I use for cleaning my other AV gear also. The key is- weekly or at least, twice a month, cleaning with a soft brush/cloth. I also cover AVR,TT etc with a cloth, when not in use.

I don't think simple blowing will help as it has developed like patches of dust now

If it is a hard patch, better leave it as it is. putting pressure on the cones for cleaning might damage/deshape it and the entire speaker system will be affected. No cleaning liquid can be used on the drivers AFAIK

I use a bulb blower used in photography for occasional blowing away of dust from speaker cone and surround. Giotto rocket blower has a filter built in at the intake to prevent any dust being bombarded out. Blowing by mouth can lead to small saliva deposits which even after drying can act as a medium for fungus growth.
Nothing for tweeter. It gets clean when it plays.
Coat brush for grill.
Mildly moist cloth for cleaning the wood finishednsurfaces.
3M microfibre dry cloth for cleaning any Piano finish surfaces.

Transparent nail paint (matt or glossy) for covering up any breaks in veneer polish.
Black liquid shoe polish for covering any scuffs or scratches on black spikes. (Black markers give a different shine)

My simple cleaning tools. The small one is a blower brush which you can get in a camera store.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back