How to compare floor standing speakers

Vikramdeals

Hey All,

Just wanted to know if one has to compare floor standing speakers based on the specifications what parameters to consider?

Can 8ohm speaker be compared with 6ohm? For example can we compare Polk Audio TSX330T with WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.5? If so how one can compare to say which one is better?

Apologies for my ignorance.

Cheers

Hey All,

Just wanted to know if one has to compare floor standing speakers based on the specifications what parameters to consider?

Can 8ohm speaker be compared with 6ohm? For example can we compare Polk Audio TSX330T with WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.5? If so how one can compare to say which one is better?

Cheers

specs play a very small role when it comes to audio.. the only way to compare them to hear it..

thumb rule for audio and video...
believe in what you hear. specs comes later.

there might be speakers which say they can go low as 25-30HZ but whats the point if the bass is not punchy and tight.

also synergy between components is very important.
a high end speakers paired well will sound absolute bliss
either way a bad amplification can make it crappy.

take into consideration sound quality, loudness (while maintaining sound quality) and price. specs are just something to go by to narrow in on your requirements, but not the ultimate criterion

As quoted by one FM earlier, all speakers till 1 lac budget will sound more or less same. When money start singing, speakers will also.. :) All they may have a different sound signature, but very marginal. This is what i think, could be wrong.

Hey All,

Cheers

All FS would do 30 - 45Hz... Some parameters which i think are important.

1) Sensitivity (expressed in db) - Higher the better.
2) Speaker Impedance ( 8Ohms is easier to drive than 6 Ohms).
3) Freq range roll of... +/- 3 db is better than +/- 6 db.
4) Front Ported Vs Rear ported...

Hi All, Many thanks for your responses.

Hi Arab, A big thank you for sharing your post as it is really helpful and has excellent inputs from FMs

Hi

The others have already mentioned most of the things one needs to consider for good floor standers....end of the day it would all come down to what appeals to you and your budget....my suggestion...try to demo as many shortlisted floor standers with the similar amp / avr you would use and hear your favourite music....obviously the one which sounds better and pleasant would be the right choice subject to the technical specs of input/output compatibility etc..

hope this helps

try to demo as many shortlisted floor standers with the similar amp / avr you would use and hear your favourite music....obviously the one which sounds better and pleasant would be the right choice subject to the technical specs of input/output compatibility etc..

I did this for almost a month before finalizing my system, boy it was a great month, listening to your favorite songs again and again through different, well set up systems is a joy that cannot be explained in words. Since I was looking at a full system my job was easier (or more difficult, take your pick :)), but hearing them is definitely the only thing to see apart from your price bracket.

Last edited:
Hi friendz..
I hav posted as many times about my doubt of Yamaha HTR-3066 with Yamaha 8390 Floor standin spkrs. Again I am asking this in this forum.
I hav HTR-3066 which is 6 ohms. Yamaha 8390 tallboys are 8 ohms. I have seen 8390 in a demo which is attached with Marants AVR. Now I want to know the capability of 8390 with HTR-3066. WILL 3066 PRODUCE SUCH POWER TO 8390...? Bcoz I hav some desire of buying Tallboys. Please give me some suggestions friends..........

Hi friendz..
I hav posted as many times about my doubt of Yamaha HTR-3066 with Yamaha 8390 Floor standin spkrs. Again I am asking this in this forum.
I hav HTR-3066 which is 6 ohms. Yamaha 8390 tallboys are 8 ohms. I have seen 8390 in a demo which is attached with Marants AVR. Now I want to know the capability of 8390 with HTR-3066. WILL 3066 PRODUCE SUCH POWER TO 8390...? Bcoz I hav some desire of buying Tallboys. Please give me some suggestions friends..........

Yamaha 8390 FLOORSTANDERS (please dont call tallboy anymore) are 8 ohms with 89db sensitivity and the HTR-3066 is close to 70w/Channel at 8 ohms.

the avr will drive them without any glitch. go ahead and hook em up..

Yesterday i contact Yamaha Music Square Chennai. I askd about the support of htr 3066 to 8390 floorstanders (for theironhorse). They said some technical terms and finally said 'no'. In addition they said that htr3066 will not support any floorstanders. As i have a desire with floorstanders, I am frustrated after hearing this. My fate..

Last edited:
Hi vaathyaar

don't be dishearted. Based on technical aspects available, I did check all the details for the amplifier and speakers and don't see any immediate challenge in using them together.

You can ofcourse to be double sure do some research over the internet and see reviews / videos.....there also could be some thread or post on amplifier speaker matching available.

According to my knowledge and experience as a DJ and user, there is no issue in using the same. A small cooling fan is recommended to keep the AVR safe.

Hope this helps.

Dear efernand1
Are you sure about 8390 with 3066? or, Except 8390, tell me some more floorstanders, if u know.. Bcoz i need some more Bass from 3066. If i hav FS then it could produce little more bass. So that...

Dear efernand1
Are you sure about 8390 with 3066? or, Except 8390, tell me some more floorstanders, if u know.. Bcoz i need some more Bass from 3066. If i hav FS then it could produce little more bass. So that...

Look for Mission M34i FS series.. They are 92 db efficient... Very easy to drive for any AVR....

Hi elango
Mission m34i is 150w and how it can support htr3066? Htr 3066 is 6ohms and 100w per channel. Please give me some more suggestions.

Hi elango
Mission m34i is 150w and how it can support htr3066? Htr 3066 is 6ohms and 100w per channel. Please give me some more suggestions.

It is not watts (W) that matter for a speaker, but sensitivity (db)... Mission M34i are 92db efficient, 8 Ohms impedance...meaning easy load for any AVR.....

Ok.. Now why i need FS bcoz..
-It should have better than BS. Better it clarity. Better in BASS.
-I like My yht299 very much in movies. Not while listening music. Some how lack in Bass (while music).
-Moreover FS will give som Rich look. Even my HTiB is around 35k, the FS will make it luxurious look.
-And my budget for FS will be 20k max.
---Now 'my name'.. give ur suggestions.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back