How to connect TV and Computer with surround Sound using Onkyo 3400

petes

I have the following devices:

1) Samsung LCD TV - LA40C550
2) Onkyo 3400 Receiver
3) Motherboard that supports HD Audio/ Video - Intel Motherboard DG965RY
4) Nvidia Graphics Card with DVI Output

Somehow i can manage to connect the Computer to TV for watching Video, by connecting with HDMI cable using DVI-HDMI dongle...However, my main intent is, how to achieve 5.1 surround...

Is it possible to connect the stereo output of my computer (green color) to L/R input of the AV receiver by purchasing stereo to RCA cable and still achieve 5.1, since my motherboard supports 5.1...

(I always thought that 5.1 is possible either through Optical or coaxial, but somewhere i read that, even after connecting to L/R inputs it is possible only if the Motherboard supports... not sure..?????)

Link to the Manual of my Motherboard
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15056/eng/DG965RY_TechProdSpec.pdf

Here is the gist of the manual wordings that talk about this
Advanced Digital Display (ADD2/MEC) Card Support
The GMCH routes two multiplexed SDVO ports that are each capable of driving up to a200 MHz pixel clock to the PCI Express x16 connector. The SDVO ports can be pairedfor a dual channel configuration to support up to a 400 MHz pixel clock. When an ADD2/MEC card is detected, the Intel GMA X3000 graphics controller is enabled and the PCI Express x16 connector is configured for SDVO mode. SDVO mode enables the SDVO ports to be accessed by the ADD2/MEC card. An ADD2/MEC card can either be
configured to support simultaneous display with the primary VGA display or can be configured to support dual independent display as an extended desktop configurationwith different color depths and resolutions. ADD2/MEC cards can be designed to support the following configurations:
TV-Out (composite video)
Transition Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS) for DVI 1.0
Low Voltage Differential Signaling (LVDS)
Single device operating in dual channel mode
VGA output
HDTV output
HDMI/UDI support (when used with the HD Audio Link)

Let me know if there are any other simple and feasible connections...

Thanks!!

Last edited:
you cant get the 5.1 sound using the dvi->hdmi cable as dvi cable is incapable of transmitting audion information. as suggested above get a sound card with digital (optical/coaxial) out. check if your motherboard has digital out headers.

Thanks for your response.... I just had a thought of set-up like this:

Since I have a HD audio header on my Motherboard, I will purchanse a connector that has SPDIF (Toslink) at the other end and connect to my motherboard.. After that, I will run the DVI cable to TV and Optical cable to the receiver from my computer...

I guess, by this way I can divert the cost of purchasing Graphics Card to buy DVI cable and Optical cable which is required to run from computer to TV/ Receiver

Since I have a HD audio header on my Motherboard, I will purchanse a connector that has SPDIF (Toslink) at the other end and connect to my motherboard.. After that, I will run the DVI cable to TV and Optical cable to the receiver from my computer...

I guess, by this way I can divert the cost of purchasing Graphics Card to buy DVI cable and Optical cable which is required to run from computer to TV/ Receiver
You do not have a S/PDIF header on your motherboard. What you have is a "HD Audio Link Header". This is totally different from a S/PDIF audio header and has a totally different use. Don't get confused by the "HD Audio" term. (Actually it's a useless thing created by Intel which has no takers.)
You will need to buy sound card with S/PDIF output or a graphics card with HDMI output.

Last edited:

Another immediate and cheapest solution for the timebeing is , analog connection.
Buy 3 set of Stero to RCA cables like below.
stereo-rca-jack.png

(it will cost you 100 - 200 Rs)

Install realtek sound drivers. You can configure your each stereo pin to Left/Right/Center/LFE . Connect each coaxial to your Analog inputs of your a/v receiver individually.

For example: PC Stereo Left/Right will behave as Left /Right of channel.
PC mic in will work as Center/LFE channel.
PC line in will work as surround speakers.
you can configure each pin as you wish.
By this you can acheive surround sound.

But Sound card with SPDIF out will be the best way. I initially connected like above and it worked well.

Thanks for your suggestions.. I am going with the graphics card suggested by Spiro...

After that, I just need to purchase HDMI cable to run from my PC to receiver so that it can pass both Audio and Video..... Correct me if i am wrong..??

Thanks!!

Thanks for your suggestions.. I am going with the graphics card suggested by Spiro...

After that, I just need to purchase HDMI cable to run from my PC to receiver so that it can pass both Audio and Video..... Correct me if i am wrong..??

Thanks!!
Onkyo AVRs are prone to EDID issues with ATI drivers.
Get an NVIDIA based graphics card to avoid headaches later.
For example an NVIDIA GT520 based card here

Zotac NVIDIA Geforce GT 520 G.One Signature Edition 1 GB GDDR3 Graphics Card

Then get two simple HDMI cables. One connects graphics card to Onkyo HT-S3400 and the other connects HT-S3400 to TV. That's it.

Your best bet would be to go to S.P. Road and buy these from there. You will get the cheapest rates too.

just wondering what is this EDID issues... The specifications b/w ATI Radeon & NVIDIA looks almost similar..

Folks - yesterday I connected the Graphics Card from my computer to Onkyo using HDMI (Zotac NVIDIA Geforce GT 520 G.One Signature Edition 1 GB GDDR3 Graphics Card)..

The Problem is I am getting the Video on my TV but without Sound... I tried few of the set-up but did'nt work...

How do I configure to get the sound through by AV receiver....??

:-(

In your computer set HDMI as the default audio device. Also set the speaker type as 5.1 and enable bitstreaming in your player.

I am getting the following error when i try to load the drivers..

Install cannot continue - This graphics driver counld not find compatible graphics hardware..

Any idea..?? May be this is the reason... Actually i have uninstalled the old graphics driver.. do i need to uninstall audio driver as well..??

hey Bai!! I was able to install the driver as per your advise...thanks much
but where do i make these settings which you replies in previous thread---

In your computer set HDMI as the default audio device. Also set the speaker type as 5.1 and enable bitstreaming in your player

Thanks to this wonderful forum..I have answer for everthing.. Finally I was able to get both audio and Video...enjoying!!!! :):)

one quick question: I have connected the HDMI port of Graphics Card to GAME port of Receiver... is it fine...??

Thanks again folks..happy sunday!!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back