How to convert PC 2.1 speaker setup to 5.1

iluvmusic

Hi, I have an Altec Lansing 2.1 (VS 4121) speaker setup and want to upgrade it to 5.1. Instead of buying a new setup, I want to just add additional speakers to it. I already have spare speakers from my Sony HT system.
So, now my question is:-
What is the cheapest possible way to connect them to my PC ?? Since the speakers have only the red and black wires (No banana plugs etc.)

Some technical info:-

Mo.Bo. :- ASUS M3N78CM with Via onboard chipset for sound. Link - ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards - ASUS M3N78-CM

Speakers: - Altec Lansing VS4121

Graphic Card:- Zotac 9600GT

SoundCard :- None - Using OnBoard. If I need to buy one, pls suggest one with PCI slot as the only PCI-e slot is occupied the graphic card.

Usage:- Movies, Games, Don't care much about music. Quality - have been using a 3k speaker system for long, so you can judge from that ;)

Budget :- Cheapest possible i.e. (500 - 5000) :eek:hyeah:

PS: Also will I be able to play HD audio ?

It depends on your Budget.If you have 5k,then 5.1 spk pack from a good company(even creative)is OK.
If you have 15k+ then Logitech Z5500,or philins Htib with coaxial in will do as your MB has onbrd spdf out.
If you have budget of 30k,then Onkyo 3300 + ATI HDMI GC...
your via chip supports 192/24 audio & if you install PDVD 10,you can play Bluray on PC.

Last edited:
Sell ur present speaker, u will get nearly 2k-2.5k and add this to ur 5k budget so the total will be Rs. 7k-8k and then u can buy gud 5.1 speaker system.:lol::eek:hyeah:

But again if ur main preference is music so 2 channel is better.

there is no way to convert that 2.1 to 5.1..

even if you split the wiring and add the rest 2 speakers and make it 4.1 it will over load and heat up the amp very quickly..

also the mobo has spdif out but that will not support 5.1.. most of the mobo having co-ax out with realtek HD digital audio gives digital audio only in 2.1..

so you will need a sound card and then 5.1 speakers with either co-ax or optical in..

so please specify budget and then we can go ahead with the same...

for 5k you can get 5.1 speakers from altec lancing.. but they will be analog and you can connect them to you pc via three cables and you will have surround sound.. no need to get a sound card or video card..

but its gonna be analog.. no DD or dts.. just 5.1 like

Thanks all :)

So I gather the consensus is to get a new 5.1 spkr set. Hmmm...

1. What would happen when I play DTS on it?? (Don't know much how digital audio works :eek: ) Will I be able to hear any difference on the same setup - Digital v/s plain 5.1??

2. Please suggest some speakers which might be easily available in Delhi, budget - 5k.

3. How can I extend the speaker cables? I would need around 15 mtrs on each rear spkr as I will need to take them around doors and windows.

1. What would happen when I play DTS on it?? (Don't know much how digital audio works :eek: ) Will I be able to hear any difference on the same setup - Digital v/s plain 5.1??

By the time the sound data reaches the speaker drivers it is always in analogue mode. What you hear is always and only analogue. All digital data in converted somewhere in the chain.

Cheers

By the time the sound data reaches the speaker drivers it is always in analogue mode. What you hear is always and only analogue. All digital data in converted somewhere in the chain.

Cheers

Exactly thats what I thought. When the PC is decoding the digital audio, be it DD or DTS, how does it matter if I connect it over optical or something else??

Exactly thats what I thought. When the PC is decoding the digital audio, be it DD or DTS, how does it matter if I connect it over optical or something else??

You are missing a important step here. All 5.1/7.1 channel data is stored in digital format. When you 'decode', the data stays in digital form. All the decoder does is to split the data into 6 or 8 channels of data. In the next step, each channel has to be converted from digital to analogue. This is generally referred to as DAC. Before the sound reaches the speakers, the DAC has to be done. In addition, the sound data has to be amplified.

Optical and coaxial cables carry only digital data. You can feed speakers only with amplified analogue data.

Cheers

You are missing a important step here. All 5.1/7.1 channel data is stored in digital format. When you 'decode', the data stays in digital form. All the decoder does is to split the data into 6 or 8 channels of data. In the next step, each channel has to be converted from digital to analogue. This is generally referred to as DAC. Before the sound reaches the speakers, the DAC has to be done. In addition, the sound data has to be amplified.

Optical and coaxial cables carry only digital data. You can feed speakers only with amplified analogue data.

Cheers

So the DAC is being done by my onboard sound chip, right? And it is then connected to the speakers through their inbuilt amp.
How is it different from o/p over coaxial to the AVR and then to speakers?

Also pls tell me how to extend the spkr cables.

So the DAC is being done by my onboard sound chip, right? And it is then connected to the speakers through their inbuilt amp.
How is it different from o/p over coaxial to the AVR and then to speakers?

Also pls tell me how to extend the spkr cables.

AVR can have better DAC than onbrd via chip.It also has preamp & can process better than PC.Most of the work done by Hardware & not software like pc(audio delay etc)
So MB can output coax out to AVR.

So my PC is sufficient enough for digital audio. As for the quality, since my setup is a cheap one I dont think there will be any noticeable difference.

Now please suggest me good 5.1 spkrs under 5K. I m considering Logitech z506 and Creative T6200 right now. Any suggestions or recommendations ??

Pls dont say x540 as it is not available any more.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back