how to get a 5.1 out of xbox 360 when receiver doesnt have hdmi

arnprasad

Hi,

below is my nephews new setup i am creating - an ultra affordable one:

(a) Old unused Yamaha receiver bought in UK in 2005 which didnt have HDMI input or output - Yamaha RX-V357 A/V Receivers reviews - Audioreview.com
(b) 480p projector that has HDMI only as inputs - UC 40 PLUS LED PROJECTOR: Amazon.in: Electronics
(c) yamaha speakers that came with the receiver
(d) xbox 360 bought on Dussehra sale - net cost of 8000 - Buy Xbox 360 4GB Console Online at Low Prices in India | Microsoft Video Games - Amazon.in

Now since receiver doesnt have hdmi, the plan is to connect console to projector via HDMI. Then run a red and white stereo cable from xbox to yamaha.

now if i run the red and white cable to yamaha..i am assuming its stereo and hence yamaha wont recognize 5.1? also except hdmi and this single pin output, the console doesnt have any other outputs.

Hence my question is whether any other solution can ensure 5.1 to my speakers? say connecting xbox to yamaha via a HDMI to component convertor cable..does that carry 5.1 signals?

Last edited:
Hi

Obviously L + R analog will not provide the 5.1 effect or surround.

The AVR has digital inputs....Coaxial and possible optical...

If the Xbox has some digital output (Coaxial / Optical), you can possibly achieve digital 5.1 to the AVR via the appropriate cables...

Hi

Obviously L + R analog will not provide the 5.1 effect or surround.

The AVR has digital inputs....Coaxial and possible optical...

If the Xbox has some digital output (Coaxial / Optical), you can possibly achieve digital 5.1 to the AVR via the appropriate cables...

Hi..the new Xbox 360 only has hdmi and a single port that can give our RCA type video and audio. Guess the earlier Xbox 360 S had toslink..was looking at amazon..they got various kinds of cables and convertor boxes...was wondering of any such combo will help

also just realized the projector also has only HDMI has input..if I dont run hdmi directly from console to projector, then i also need another component out to hdmi kind of a cable

Option 1
Does your projector has an HDMI output available? If yes, you can link that to your AVR for audio
Option 2
Check whether your AVR has 5.1 analog input options. If yes, there are HDMI to 5.1 analog converters in market/ebay/amazon. Use an HDMI splitter and route your audio to this converter which then can be routed to your AVR
Option 3 (and the easiest one)
Invest in a used AVR which can take HDMI inputs. You should be able to get decent ones for around 10k

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back