How to make Boulder 866 Integrated and Cambridge CXR200 AVR work together for 5.1

terrible

So I had a very unpleasant experience with McIntosh a few months ago. The MX123 and MC257 had to be returned because twenty days into working the MX123 stopped producing sound. McIntosh India, the distributor and neither the dealer could assure me that they would replace it with a new product. I, of course, having paid 15 lacs, 75 thou for both the products was in no mood to get it repaired. Hence, I served a legal notice to all three entities and to cut a long story short, McIntosh agreed to pay me and take back the products. This brought the Cambridge CXR200 back into my life.

Now the thing is I want to integrate my Spendors and Boulder into the 5.1 set-up with the CXR200. While I could use the Boulder for playing 2.0, how do I integrate the CXR and Boulder to play 5.1?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Now the thing is I want to integrate my Spendors and Boulder into the 5.1 set-up with the CXR200. While I could use the Boulder for playing 2.0, how do I integrate the CXR and Boulder to play 5.1?

If your boulder amp has a HT bypass mode then it can be connected to the preouts of your Cambridge Audio receiver.
So in this mode the Boulder's volume control and preamp will be bypassed for movies and it will act as a power amp for the fronts in HT mode. The Avr's volume will be in control for HT.
In Stereo mode you can listen through the Boulder as is.
I am sure some FM's may have done this or you can google it for more info.

So I had a very unpleasant experience with McIntosh a few months ago. The MX123 and MC257 had to be returned because twenty days into working the MX123 stopped producing sound. McIntosh India, the distributor and neither the dealer could assure me that they would replace it with a new product. I, of course, having paid 15 lacs, 75 thou for both the products was in no mood to get it repaired. Hence, I served a legal notice to all three entities and to cut a long story short, McIntosh agreed to pay me and take back the products. This brought the Cambridge CXR200 back into my life.

That's terrible, Terrible.
hope things work out better going forward

Really Sad to hear about your issues with Mcintosh, one of the reliable brands out there.

is there a way to configure what channels go out in Pre Outs of Cambridge CXR200? if CXR200 is configured to give only front LR out via its only 2 pre outs, you can use RCA to XLR cable to connect it to inputs of Boulder866. if that is not possible (That is CXR 200 can't configure its pre outs to only LR etc) you're left with only other option to divide the 5.1 at Source level (That is at Oppo205).

Gets Analog Outputs from Oppo and give 2 to Boulder via Rca XLR cables . and remaining 3 channels to Analog inputs on CXR200, Subwoofer also needs to be connected to Oppo in this case. Connect display directly to Oppo. Only Downside in this approach is you will not be able to use the Room Correction on CXR200 effectively.

The biggest drawback with CXR200 seems to be lack of 11.2 pre outs which is pretty much standard from Midrange onwards in AVRs of Denon, Marantz and Yamaha.

If your boulder amp has a HT bypass mode then it can be connected to the preouts of your Cambridge Audio receiver.
So in this mode the Boulder's volume control and preamp will be bypassed for movies and it will act as a power amp for the fronts in HT mode. The Avr's volume will be in control for HT.
In Stereo mode you can listen through the Boulder as is.
I am sure some FM's may have done this or you can google it for more info.
The Boulder does have an HT bypass mode, where the volume control is with CXR.
Really Sad to hear about your issues with Mcintosh, one of the reliable brands out there.
It is reliable when you buy it in the US. In my scenario, McIntosh would most likely replace the product in the US. Here in India, if a new product goes off the rails, it will be repaired and not replaced as the distributor has to pay for the defunct piece to be transported back to the US. At least, this is what some distributors told me in the McIntosh owners forum.
is there a way to configure what channels go out in Pre Outs of Cambridge CXR200? if CXR200 is configured to give only front LR out via its only 2 pre outs, you can use RCA to XLR cable to connect it to inputs of Boulder866. if that is not possible (That is CXR 200 can't configure its pre outs to only LR etc) you're left with only other option to divide the 5.1 at Source level (That is at Oppo205).
I think it'll have to be the LR, while the other 3.1 go through CXR200.
The biggest drawback with CXR200 seems to be lack of 11.2 pre outs which is pretty much standard from Midrange onwards in AVRs of Denon, Marantz and Yamaha.
You are correct about its drawbacks; I was aware of this when I bought the CXR in 2015. This AVR is low on bells and whistles but excellent with sound, and considering this was the only unit I had even for music, I chose sound over the many features. In fact, when I bought the McIntosh (es), I realised how good the CXR was for its price.

The Boulder does have an HT bypass mode, where the volume control is with CXR.
If the CXR 200 does not have preouts then there should be another way to connect the Boulder to it which other FM's could help out.

It does have 2 preouts.
Then I guess, you should not have any issues in integrating both the amps. Hope the 2 links below can be of help to you. Front speakers would be connected to the Boulder.
L & R front pre-outs from the HT receiver, connected via RCA interconnect cables into the HT bypass inputs of the integrated amp. If you have room correction software on the CA avr then you may need to rerun it.

Sorry to hear that Terrible. Pathetic service/customer support from whoever the D/D of McIntosh is - maybe they ought to be named so other potential buyers can steer clear - especially since you had to take the legal route? Doesn't surprise me though, most audio dealers even high end have bad support, once the sale is done. Shame on such dealers and distributors.
Cheers,
Sid

Sorry to hear that Terrible. Pathetic service/customer support from whoever the D/D of McIntosh is - maybe they ought to be named so other potential buyers can steer clear - especially since you had to take the legal route? Doesn't surprise me though, most audio dealers even high end have bad support, once the sale is done. Shame on such dealers and distributors.
Cheers,
Sid
It's difficult to miss the distributor or dealer of Mcintosh. They have one distributor in Chennai and region-wise dealers in India. I bought it from the guy authorised to sell in the West as I am in Mumbai. I bought this from Total Home Theatre. If you live in Mumbai, the dealer in the north will not sell Mcintosh gear to you if it has to be delivered to Mumbai.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back