How to make streaming music sound better

dvraghavan

I use AppleTV 4k as source for Apple Music and Spotify. Its connected to Yamaha RXv6A AVR and the pre-outs are connected to a Marantz 6007 IA which is driving a pair of Wharfedale Evo 2 40 floorstanders.
I find that the "FM" radio music from the AVR sounds so much better (richer, deeper and even louder) compared to the streaming music.
Since the radio music is better I feel the AVR and IA are OK and only the source is the culprit.
Hence, though I had an eye on getting a Power Amp, I haven't actually made the plunge.
How can I listen to richer audio from this setup or what I can minimally add to improve the experience

Thanks in advance

I use AppleTV 4k as source for Apple Music and Spotify. Its connected to Yamaha RXv6A AVR and the pre-outs are connected to a Marantz 6007 IA which is driving a pair of Wharfedale Evo 2 40 floorstanders.
I find that the "FM" radio music from the AVR sounds so much better (richer, deeper and even louder) compared to the streaming music.
Since the radio music is better I feel the AVR and IA are OK and only the source is the culprit.
Hence, though I had an eye on getting a Power Amp, I haven't actually made the plunge.
How can I listen to richer audio from this setup or what I can minimally add to improve the experience

Thanks in advance
Try playing apple music and Spotify from the yamaha app instead of using apple tv and see if that brings about any change

Thanks in advance
I don't know anything about apple products, so can't comment on the quality of the digital output of the apple TV. But I would suspect the dac inside the yamaha. FM sounds good because it is coming off the analogue tuner board of the yamaha, and not through its dac. So I would suggest borrowing a dac with analogue outputs from any nearby forum members and giving it a try.

I found the yamaha wxc-50 to be a decent performing streamer when I used it maybe a decade back. Iam sure most of the modern topping, smsl or gustard dac's will wipe the floor with the yamaha today. And these dac's keep popping up on our classifieds from time to time. So when you come across one with the digital inputs to work with the apple TV, you can give it a shot. Iam quite sure that you will be very pleased with the outcome. All the best 😀👍

Thanks in advance
Something doesnt seem right as Apple Music/ spotify should sound significantly better than FM - to the extent that they should not even be comparable.
I have very similar setups (ATV 4k to Denon AVR to crown XLS IA and a ATV 4K to Marantz 6010 to a marantz IA.) and both spotify/AM sound fantastic while FM seems to have a fraction of the dynamic range/ clarity (as it should).

For what it’s worth, I can barely make out any difference between speakers connected directly to AVR vs via IA - but despite my non discerning ears, FM sounds intolerable vs streaming.

I really don’t think you should look at getting a different source. I assume your AVR suports airplay 2 / spotify connect so the first check should be to stream directly to the AVR from your phone and see how it fares before you determine the next set of troubleshooting steps

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just to add, I have tried using the Apple Music and Spotify endpoint in the AVR. The output from ATV sounds superior to the Yamaha’s own endpoint.
Maybe i will try Manohar’s suggestion on using a DAC.

I don't know anything about apple products, so can't comment on the quality of the digital output of the apple TV. But I would suspect the dac inside the yamaha. FM sounds good because it is coming off the analogue tuner board of the yamaha, and not through its dac. So I would suggest borrowing a dac with analogue outputs from any nearby forum members and giving it a try.

I found the yamaha wxc-50 to be a decent performing streamer when I used it maybe a decade back. Iam sure most of the modern topping, smsl or gustard dac's will wipe the floor with the yamaha today. And these dac's keep popping up on our classifieds from time to time. So when you come across one with the digital inputs to work with the apple TV, you can give it a shot. Iam quite sure that you will be very pleased with the outcome. All the best 😀👍
How should I connect the DAC - would the pre out from AVR go to the DAC and then to the IA?

Thanks in advance
Apple TV 4K is one of the best sources for audio and video out there. It is discernably better than all other AV sources that i have tried in my system including PV, Firestick 4K, PlayStation 5 or the inbuilt Apps on my TV when it comes to Spotify (to keep all comparisons equal)

However, it's not the best "audio only" source that i have. Unsurprisingly, the Allo Digione Signature and the Ifi Zen Stream found better. Interestingly, direct streaming through HEOS on my AVR - Marantz SR6013 also sounds slightly better for Spotify. Needless to say, HEOS sounds much better than the AV sources mentioned earlier.

Therefore, from my experience, Apple TV is one of the best sources out there, even for audio on a standalone basis.

Try using a separate HDMI cable (doesn't need to be fancy), just in case it's a problem with the particular one you're using.

Unfortunately ATV only has a HDMI out which I have connected to the AVR.
Try connecting the speakers directly to the AVR and see if there is an improvement. You have connected the preamp out of AVR to the preamp in of your integrated amp. Two preamps in series is not recommended.

I have an official MacBook and tried connecting the headphone out to the Maranta and it sounds better than ATV....shame I didn't try this out earlier. I will test further and see if it something I can hold my peace with - though I am a little reluctant to be connected to my AV system and having to go to the laptop to change music etc.

I have an official MacBook and tried connecting the headphone out to the Maranta and it sounds better than ATV....shame I didn't try this out earlier. I will test further and see if it something I can hold my peace with - though I am a little reluctant to be connected to my AV system and having to go to the laptop to change music etc.
Just wondering out loud - Could it be that the DA conversion inside the Yammie isn't the best?

There's absolutely no reason why the headphone out from a MacBook should sound better than digital out (through HDMI) from the ATV. That would explain why even FM sounds better.

Though on second thought, could it be that bad?

Apple TV 4K is basically meant for streaming Movies. Clear 4K Display and good sound quality. For Music have an IFI Zen BLue V2 ( cheapest Hi Res audio streaming device) Connected to my Denon Pma 600ne. Sound through the IFI is much superior to the Apple 4k.

Apple TV 4K is basically meant for streaming Movies. Clear 4K Display and good sound quality. For Music have an IFI Zen BLue V2 ( cheapest Hi Res audio streaming device) Connected to my Denon Pma 600ne. Sound through the IFI is much superior to the Apple 4k.
How do you have your Apple TV 4K connected to your Denon PMA600NE?

The marantz seems to have a optical in port. I think some mac books have a 3.5mm headphone jack cum mini optical out. If yours has the same, then you can use a mini optical to optical cable to connect the mac to the marantz IA. And I believe there are many apps to control a mac book remotely from a iPhone or ipad.

You could try the above, or avoid all the above by getting a dedicated streamer, or a Bluetooth receiver like a Auris bluemeHD.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back