How to match up my Home Theater

GameMaster

Hi all,

This is me, Noob beginning to build his first Home theater.

I want to go from stereo Hi-fi to 5.1 home theater. I want to step up the channels.

Currently what I have is a stereo Hifi set with 7000 Watts PMPO undersigned 250+250 RMS. And i Have an idea that RMS is the real watts of the speaker can handle which means one set of my speakers is 250 watts.

Now what receiver/amp do I buy to put these speakers to use? As I see that most amps says 100 watts per channel

100 W/ch (6 ohms 1 kHz 0.07 % 1ch Driven)
20 Hz 20 kHz, THD 0.09 % @ 8 ohms FTC: TBD

and my speakers also says its 8 ohms. So where do I start?

Hi all,

This is me, Noob beginning to build his first Home theater.

I want to go from stereo Hi-fi to 5.1 home theater. I want to step up the channels.

Currently what I have is a stereo Hifi set with 7000 Watts PMPO undersigned 250+250 RMS. And i Have an idea that RMS is the real watts of the speaker can handle which means one set of my speakers is 250 watts.

Now what receiver/amp do I buy to put these speakers to use? As I see that most amps says 100 watts per channel

100 W/ch (6 ohms 1 kHz 0.07 % 1ch Driven)
20 Hz 20 kHz, THD 0.09 % @ 8 ohms FTC: TBD

and my speakers also says its 8 ohms. So where do I start?

Hey, I'm new to Hi-Fi audio too. So, whatever I say here, you need to take it with a pinch of salt.

The 8 ohm impedance quoted by speakers is usually the nominal impedance. The minimum impedance will be lower. But, given the nominal impedance is 8 Ohm, you should be good if you buy a receiver that can drive 8 Ohm speakers comfortably. Typically, amp's power rating (even THD rating) gets better as speaker impedance goes down. But, not all amps will be able to drive speakers with very low impedance (4 Ohms, 2 Ohms). They may not even be stable at very low impedance.

Matching the amp power to the speaker power is important because at higher volumes, if the amp is unable to drive the speakers, it will start "clipping" the audio signal which can damage the speakers permanently. But, the real question is if you will be pushing the amp to those power numbers. This depends on how loud you'll be playing your music/movies and how sensitive your speakers are. If your speakers have good sensitivity (>90 dB, say), depending upon your room size and on how loud you'll allow the sound to get, there is a good chance you will never need to go over 70W/Ch in which case a 100W/Ch amp should be good enough for you. I have only seen a few entry-level and mid-level AVRs so far and I have not seen any that give ~ 250W/Ch.

Just my two bits. Hope this helps!

20-25k budget for the amp; speakers will think after amp or to be purchased later

Room size is 18ft * 12ft * 12ft

Usage : Movies 60% and Music 40% (FM tuner also)

:clapping:

Hey, I'm new to Hi-Fi audio too. So, whatever I say here, you need to take it with a pinch of salt.

The 8 ohm impedance quoted by speakers is usually the nominal impedance. The minimum impedance will be lower. But, given the nominal impedance is 8 Ohm, you should be good if you buy a receiver that can drive 8 Ohm speakers comfortably. Typically, amp's power rating (even THD rating) gets better as speaker impedance goes down. But, not all amps will be able to drive speakers with very low impedance (4 Ohms, 2 Ohms). They may not even be stable at very low impedance.

Matching the amp power to the speaker power is important because at higher volumes, if the amp is unable to drive the speakers, it will start "clipping" the audio signal which can damage the speakers permanently. But, the real question is if you will be pushing the amp to those power numbers. This depends on how loud you'll be playing your music/movies and how sensitive your speakers are. If your speakers have good sensitivity (>90 dB, say), depending upon your room size and on how loud you'll allow the sound to get, there is a good chance you will never need to go over 70W/Ch in which case a 100W/Ch amp should be good enough for you. I have only seen a few entry-level and mid-level AVRs so far and I have not seen any that give ~ 250W/Ch.

Just my two bits. Hope this helps!

Do I need an AVR that drives 250W/Ch? because these are Hi-Fi speakers

The model I have is shown below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv3V1zHdEv4

The image is listed below
img4174jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the AVR that drives 120+W/6 Ohm will cost you above 70K. If you are going for a real HT system I would recommend you to start from clean slate.

Trying to expand your current system is just waste of money and time.
Check in hifimart or profx for HT options. I have used Onkyo HT system and was quite happy with it.

Last edited:
How about this? Can I buy this?

Pioneer HTP RS32 5 Channels 100W Home Theatre System with AV Receiver its 8 ohms based

Last edited:
I found this avr to power my speakers is it the good choice. How is pioneers avrs in general?

VSX-922-K |

Pioneer AVR are good no doubt.

but first of all decide which way you wana go further HT way or stereo way??

if it is HT than how would you match center and surround with your existing speakers.
and if it is stereo setup you are looking for than please don't waste your money on AVR instead spend it on decent stereo amp, you can opt from norge,Marantz, Denon and Yamaha.

How to check sensitivity? suppose my manual is missing

You can look up the specs on the web if you know the model number? You can also take your speakers along when you visit the AVR store and play them there and see if the sound is loud enough for you. Just make sure you don't push the AVR over 70-80% of its power rating. If you're not satisfied, I think what Vijay said makes more sense. You might be better off selling your system and starting with a clean slate than looking for high power amps.

I have only auditioned Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon AVRs. I bought a Denon but I found all three good. Pioneer AVRs are supposed to be great too. Look up reviews for the model you're looking at, I won't be surprised if you find a few from other forum members right here. If you are going to stick with your speakers, make sure you audition them with the AVR before buying.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back