How to play Apple Masters

rrunner

True. Apple does have the widest selection today and good sound. I have the same marked on my playlists. Nearly full catalogs of rca, mercury, oehms, pentatone, decca, DG, etc all there. Many titles in 24/48, rest 16/44. Some apple masters in 24/192.

Its really a treasure trove for music enthusiasts.
How do you play your apple masters, is it via MacBook or iPad..

I have set my phone to 24/48.
CCK -> DAC -> Headphone amp/system

Sometimes I set my phone to 24/192 and hear the 24/96 or 24/192(if available) but i dont find the need to switch from 24/48.

The only way to play bit-perfect apple music is to use iphone or ipad and connect it to dac using lightning to usb cable or the apple camera connection kit cable. @coaltrain is using the correct method to play apple music.

macbook, macmini etc do not give bit perfect music. Everytime the song resolution changes you have to change it using Apple's Audio Midi setup app. Yes you heard me right. You have to change it everytime the song's resolution changes, else it will play at a fixed sample rate set by the audio midi setup app.

Worst of the lot is the Apple TV. It will resample everything to 48KHz.

@mbhangui
In my setup above, is there any way to remotely control the iPad? Perhaps, with some app on my iPhone? Skipping tracks while browsing is a major pita.

Apologies to @sameer kumar for going way off topic! Mods, please delete this post if necessary.

Last edited:
The only way to play bit-perfect apple music is to use iphone or ipad and connect it to dac using lightning to usb cable or the apple camera connection kit cable. @coaltrain is using the correct method to play apple music.

macbook, macmini etc do not give bit perfect music. Everytime the song resolution changes you have to change it using Apple's Audio Midi setup app. Yes you heard me right. You have to change it everytime the song's resolution changes, else it will play at a fixed sample rate set by the audio midi setup app.

Worst of the lot is the Apple TV. It will resample everything to 48KHz.
Do you know if bit perfect will work on iphone 5s with ios12.5.5. Thx

Many thanks for the links, @mbhangui !
The wavepin would’ve been perfect, but is no longer available on the App Store :(
Am trying to figure out the switch option, but have been unsuccessful so far. Ah well, guess I can do with the exercise :)
Switch control doesn’t seem to work. Spent an hour with 4 apple techies on call , they weren’t able to figure it out either.
Otherwise it would have been a perfect solution.

Switch control doesn’t seem to work. Spent an hour with 4 apple techies on call , they weren’t able to figure it out either.
Otherwise it would have been a perfect solution.
Few things in Apple simply stop working. I found at least two major bugs since Big Sur

1. automount for NFS has stopped working. It works however for Samba shares. I can mount NFS share manually or by having it in /etc/fstab. But automounting is a a better method. That way the disk gets automatically mounted when your NAS server is switched on. And unmounting also can be automatic when the NAS device is switched off.

2. When you use samba, you cannot have @ in the password.

e.g. the following line mounts my Music drive on my macbook pro and mac mini. It uses the user pi with password pipinopi to access the share.
The host on which the share is present, is separated by the @ sign. So in this case 192.168.2.101 is the IP address on which the samba share lies

My /etc/auto_smb at the moment is like this
/System/Volumes/Data/MDrive -fstype=smbfs,soft,noowners,nosuid,rw ://pi:[email protected]:/MDrive

My earlier password for the share was pi@@9435. so /etc/auto_smb was like this
/System/Volumes/Data/MDrive -fstype=smbfs,soft,noowners,nosuid,rw ://pi : pi@@[email protected]:/MDrive
apple devices treats @[email protected] as the IP on which the samba share lies (the string after the first @ symbol) and naturally fails because this is not a valid IP address
Linux does it perfectly. It parses the IP address from backwards and correctly identifies the IP address as 192.168.2.101 even if the password has a @ symbol.

Unbelievable to see such shoddy programming from a billion dollar company

Last edited:
Now comes the question of which is a reasonable generic camera connection kit adapter for iphone 5s.😀
I use the apple CCK and works like a charm. I dont trust other aftermarket stuff for my audio.

Now comes the question of which is a reasonable generic camera connection kit adapter for iphone 5s.😀
Since I only use Apple Music sporadically, I bought a generic adapter from Amazon for 1.5k. Been working fine so far.

Yeah , utterly disappointing from the first ever trillion dollar company in history.
The App Store had a great remote for Keynote, where you could control your ppt deck from your phone. That, too, has disappeared. I must say, I’m not very happy with Tim right now.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back