How to play Apple Music on Streamer

captrajesh

Staff member
Hi folks! After shifting to Mumbai, I was predominantly listening to music through audio streaming using Tidal & Spotify. I have apple account too which is not being used much except once in a while by my son who is totally into Apple ecosystem.

I had Tidal Argentina family account with me which has since been terminated. Though much better than Spotify Premium, the overall user experience of Tidal sucks.

I'm now looking to use my Apple account but Apple music doesn't show up on playfi app which I use to operate my Paradigm streamer.

An FM offered to sell an unused Apple TV that he has but it has only digital output, i.e. HDMI. I had a brief listen of the same running through Oppo BDP, Parasound pre-power combo driving B&W 607 BS speakers but the sound was not too great.

I'm a total noob in the streaming world. Is it possible to stream Apple music through my Paradigm Streamer with which, I'm very happy?

If your streamer has airplay and you have an apple device such as iPhone or iPad or Macbook, you can stream using airplay.

Hi folks! After shifting to Mumbai, I was predominantly listening to music through audio streaming using Tidal & Spotify. I have apple account too which is not being used much except once in a while by my son who is totally into Apple ecosystem.

I had Tidal Argentina family account with me which has since been terminated. Though much better than Spotify Premium, the overall user experience of Tidal sucks.

I'm now looking to use my Apple account but Apple music doesn't show up on playfi app which I use to operate my Paradigm streamer.
1680882674165.png

You are out of luck here. No airplay support here

An FM offered to sell an unused Apple TV that he has but it has only digital output, i.e. HDMI. I had a brief listen of the same running through Oppo BDP, Parasound pre-power combo driving B&W 607 BS speakers but the sound was not too great.
Apple tv resamples everything to 48 kHz. It is geared for movies and not audio. But it shouldn't have been pathetic. Maybe it is something to do with connecting to Oppo BDP.

I'm a total noob in the streaming world. Is it possible to stream Apple music through my Paradigm Streamer with which, I'm very happy?
Looks like you are out of luck. But there are two possibilities. Your Paradigm has an optical in. The older apple tv devices had optical out (mine has). Apple TV provides airplay and you can connect the optical out of atv to paradigm and you should be done.
I use something similar. I use airport express (which doesn't resample audio like apple tv) and which has optical out (just like ATV)
1680882930344.png

Attachments

• 1680882656424.png
    1680882656424.png
    401.9 KB · Views: 5
If your streamer has airplay and you have an apple device such as iPhone or iPad or Macbook, you can stream using airplay.
Thanks for the response. But as I said before, Apple (Airplay) doesn't show up in playfi app which operates the Streamer.
Apple music doesn't show up on playfi app which I use to operate my Paradigm streamer.

Getting an Apple TV and this should work.

OREI 4K 18G HDMI Audio Extractor Converter - SPDIF + 3.5mm Output – HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 - Dolby Digital/DTS Passthrough CEC, HDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10 Support (HDA-912) https://amzn.eu/d/2ulWI7q

Digital out from this can go to digital in of your streamer.

Thanks for the response. But as I said before, Apple (Airplay) doesn't show up in playfi app which operates the Streamer.
No. Airplay will not show in the play-fi app.
You need to open apple music and choose airplay there.

The arrow shows where the airplay is.
IMG_1691.jpeg

View attachment 76317

You are out of luck here. No airplay support here

Apple tv resamples everything to 48 kHz. It is geared for movies and not audio. But it shouldn't have been pathetic. Maybe it is something to do with connecting to Oppo BDP.

Looks like you are out of luck. But there are two possibilities. Your Paradigm has an optical in. The older apple tv devices had optical out (mine has). Apple TV provides airplay and you can connect the optical out of atv to paradigm and you should be done.
I use something similar. I use airport express (which doesn't resample audio like apple tv) and which has optical out (just like ATV)
View attachment 76318
Play-fi does support airplay 2
IMG_1692.png

Apple tv resamples everything to 48 kHz.
Looks like our posts crossed. Thanks for this piece of information which I wasn't aware. That would be a deal breaker for me as far as Apple TV is concerned.
But it shouldn't have been pathetic. Maybe it is something to do with connecting to Oppo BDP.
By saying "sound was not too great" I didn't mean it was "pathetic." I meant that it wasn't impressive.
Your Paradigm has an optical in. The older apple tv devices had optical out (mine has). Apple TV provides airplay and you can connect the optical out of atv to paradigm and you should be done.
The Apple TV that I saw seems to be a newer model and doesn't have any output other than HDMI. :(
No. Airplay will not show in the play-fi app.
You need to open apple music and choose airplay there.

The arrow shows where the airplay is.
View attachment 76319
That's a great piece of information buddy. I've come to Hyderabad for the weekend. Will try that and report here once I get back to Mumbai.

@captrajesh -
1 - what apple device do you have?
2 - are you using apple music on that device?
I am listening to music through audio streaming using Tidal & Spotify. My chain is: Paradigm Streamer -> Nuprime STA7 Power Amp -> Tangent Audio Speakers.

I do not have apple device but have Apple Music account which I want to use in place of Tidal using the existing setup if possible. If not, I'm prepared to buy an Apple Device too.

I think he meant in the apple music app not in the play-fi app
That's what I did too; looked for Airplay symbol on Apple music app but couldn't find it. And it looks like I had posted playfi interface by mistake. Changed it now.

Last edited:
I would not recommend getting an apple device just to use apple music, its better you continue with tidal and spotify.

I am listening to music through audio streaming using Tidal & Spotify. My chain is: Paradigm Streamer -> Nuprime STA7 Power Amp -> Tangent Audio Speakers.

I do not have apple device but have Apple Music account which I want to use in place of Tidal using the existing setup if possible. If not, I'm prepared to buy an Apple Device too.
Ok - so apple music doesn't work the same way as most of these streaming services do. You will need a device with apple music installed - any apple device or an android tablet/phone.
You will then need to log in to play a song from "Apple Music App" and then you will see the button mentioned by @anjuvignesh in post#6.
Clicking on the button the playback device should be discoverable like Spotify Connect.

Checked yesterday. No luck. My Apple music interface looks as below:
View attachment 76413

Could you mention which Playfi device are you using?
Hi,
Sorry, I should have mentioned before that apple airplay works only with Apple devices. I believe Android cannot stream via airplay.
I don't use any Play-Fi devices but wiim Mini, which has Airplay support. I have also used Volumio and Moode audio on raspberry pi. Both Volumio and Moode have airplay support.
If any of your friends or family have an iPhone, you can invite them for a listening session :D and you can check If their Apple devices can connect to Play-fi. If yes, you may buy an Apple device like an iPad.

I would not recommend getting an apple device just to use apple music, its better you continue with tidal and spotify.
I'm using Spotify Premium now but checking the other available options. Not sure if I'll go back to Tidal. May be I should try Qobuzz.
You will need a device with apple music installed - any apple device or an android tablet/phone.
You will then need to log in to play a song from "Apple Music App" and then you will see the button mentioned by @anjuvignesh in post#6.
Clicking on the button the playback device should be discoverable like Spotify Connect.
It's installed on my Android but the Playfi device doesn't show up in the Apple interface.
If any of your friends or family have an iPhone, you can invite them for a listening session :D and you can check If their Apple devices can connect to Play-fi. If yes, you may buy an Apple device like an iPad.
Hmm! Only my son has iPhone but he's 700 kms away. Will check this out.

I'm using Spotify Premium now but checking the other available options. Not sure if I'll go back to Tidal. May be I should try Qobuzz.
Its good to try new options but spending 30-40k only to try apple music is a little too much, I'm myself looking to start with qobuz but can't get in touch with anyone who can help me get it in the US or europe or other countries.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back