How to resolve red light blinking issue in Denon 1311 avr?

goyal.sanchit

Hello everyone

I have a Denon Avr 1311 which was working fine until yesterday. Watched 1 serial for about 120 min at a quite decent volume and everything went well.

Today as I powered it on it immediately went into "protection mode" with red light blinking. I checked on google to look for possible reasons.

What could be it and how do I go in resolving it? Since it was working fine till yesterday and nothing changed between yesterday and today doesnt suspect it to be a speaker wire issue. Also happened immediately on starting so cannot be overheating issue.

I remember it happened once before as well but got automatically resolved next day!

I shall try again tomorrow. Might be a case of bad electricity. Though its connected to a surge protector by Mx.

Incase it is not resolved how do I go about in diagnosing and resolving this?

I tried the avr yesterday and it worked fine without any issues. Though I wonder if it had not what could I have done to "reset" the avr.

I tried the avr yesterday and it worked fine without any issues. Though I wonder if it had not what could I have done to "reset" the avr.

Its good the receiver came back on. Do you have a voltage display on your surge protector? I would suggest getting a digital voltage stabilizer to start with. A voltage conditioner, incase the quality of power coming is not good in your area.

Below steps to reset 1311:

1. Let the receiver be on Stand By Mode. That is Red Light on the stand by button.
2. Now press ON/STANDBY while simultaneously pressing Surround Mode '>' and '<' buttons.
3. Keep the buttons pressed till the display stops flashing. {Source: Google}

Do this if the issue occurs again. Till then you could recheck the speaker connections, clean off the dust on the connectors, etc. Also, while its running, keep an eye on the Receiver temperature and also the temperature of the tweeters in your speaker. The tweeters should not be too hot to touch. They might feel very slightly warm after prolonged usage, which is fine.

Hope this was only a one off.

MaSh

Strangely enough the avr went in the protection mode even today!

It worked fine yesterday for about 3 hours. The quality of power coming is quite good. No voltage reading on the surge protector.

Since the avr goes into protection mode immediately after switching on (last time it was used was 24 hours back) I dont suspect it to be a heating issue.

Loose cable ends should also not be an issue since it again worked fine yesterday.

Any idea what could be wrong? Gotta try again tomorrow!

Strangely enough the avr went in the protection mode even today!

It worked fine yesterday for about 3 hours. The quality of power coming is quite good. No voltage reading on the surge protector.

Since the avr goes into protection mode immediately after switching on (last time it was used was 24 hours back) I dont suspect it to be a heating issue.

Loose cable ends should also not be an issue since it again worked fine yesterday.

Any idea what could be wrong? Gotta try again tomorrow!

Oh okay, so something is not right. What are the levels set on the receiver for each speaker? Disconnect all speakers and try turning it on. If it does, then connect each speaker one by one and try. If this passes, then it would be a good idea not to experiment more and get it serviced before something fails.

Hope your surge protector is not over loaded? What are the other appliances connected at same time?

power off the unit first then press surround mode < and > simultaneously keep it pressed and power on. display should be flashed 4-5 times. this is the method for resetting the processor on most of the denon avr.
i hv also heard that sometime this process need to be repeated 3-4 times to actually factory default the processor.

Sometimes as said above, the reset has to be done many times.

Even after resetting many times, it does not resolve then count the number of blinks. Google it up or look up the manual. This will tell you what the problem is. Based on the solution come back to us and let us deal with it together.

Vinod

Thanks everyone for the reply.

the speakers are JBL Cinema 300. Since I watch the movies at night only the volume is considerably normal since I have to make sure that noone else is disturbed.

The surge protector is by MX. The devices connected are- Avr, Woofer, Projector and a media player. All have individual switches. The avr goes in protection mode even when only the avr and woofer is turned on so overload might not be an issue.

I would try again and if the avr gets switched on this Time I would note down the original settings as after reset they would be lost. After that if the problem surfaces again I would try to reset it.

the strange thing is I dont understand why it happens sporadically and immediately after switching on!

Thanks everyone for the reply.

the speakers are JBL Cinema 300. Since I watch the movies at night only the volume is considerably normal since I have to make sure that noone else is disturbed.

The surge protector is by MX. The devices connected are- Avr, Woofer, Projector and a media player. All have individual switches. The avr goes in protection mode even when only the avr and woofer is turned on so overload might not be an issue.

I would try again and if the avr gets switched on this Time I would note down the original settings as after reset they would be lost. After that if the problem surfaces again I would try to reset it.

the strange thing is I dont understand why it happens sporadically and immediately after switching on!

Try removing the Surge Protector and check. Also did you try disconnecting all speakers and check by connecting each, one by one? This used to happen in mine when one of the speaker wires were shorting.

I have a Denon 1507 and have the same problem since years.

Since this used to occur mainly during the monsoon i felt that it was because of moisture condensing inside.

My solution always has been to keep my vacuum cleaner on top of the vents with the air being blown into the receiver. Usually 10-15 mins of this cures the problem and the receiver switches on normally.

My friend's 1611 also has the same problem and inspite of paying the Denon service center through the nose twice they have not solved the problem. Whereas my trick worked like a charm for him last week.

Give it a try and let all of us know if it works for you.

@Mash Unfortunately I havent been able to try without the surge protector as the wire is not that long enough. havent tried removing the speaker cable as yet. Would have to try once I get Time if the solution by Sdk doesnt work.

@sdk Thanks. This look like a good option. I have a vacuum cleaner handy. Would try this solution as soon as I get time and report the findings.

Just to update on the issue-

Since I didnt get the Time to try the vacuum cleaner method I had been watching tv series on My laptop's 12 inch screen instead of the 93 inch screen of the projector :D until yesterday.

Switched on the Avr yesterday and it worked fine as if nothing has ever happened.

Looks like condensation might be the issue then as its generally cold in North India these days.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back