How to set-up a budget Karaoke system

canchi

Folks,
Here is how I set up my Karaoke system.

I have an existing home theatre set-up, the components of which appear in my signature below.

The Blu Ray Player that I have is the Sony BDP S485 ( some info here)
Interestingly, this BDP has the facility to plug in a mike. Here is a pic -

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So I trooped down to SP Road and bought a mike for 1100 bucks.

Then, I sourced the net, for karaoke videos. The best source for this turned out to be youtube. With the help of a software called "video download capture" I could rip the youtube videos to my hard disk. This software also helps you to download the files in high def ( if available) or in medium quality ( mp4) nor low quality ( flv). There are plenty of other such softwares available.
I found out that the downloaded files are of three types
a.Those with the background music and lyrics along with a prompter on when to start singing. These are the best ones.
b.Those with the music and lyrics but nothing to prompt you. This is okay if you know the song and the cue music.
c.Those with the music and lyrics, but including the original vocals of the song, this becomes a bit of a singalong!
There is one more category where the downloaded file contains ads, music but no lyrics :mad:

All in all, I paid Rs 1100 to set up my Karaoke System and am loving it ! Do note that in a small room you really don't need the mike and just the lyrics and the music should be enough to start off the karaoke. But I find that everyone (esp kids) loves to have a mike in hand and hearing their voices on the speaker system gives them a thrill!

I have a query for the learned hfv members -
Are there DVDs and the like available with the actual video of the song together with the lyrics, such that film stars appear to be lip synching to your voice! That would be awesome.
Most of the karaoke videos I have seen are lyrics posted on a scenery......
Thanks in advance,

Am looking for info on Tamil karaoke songs , specifically Ilayaraja and AR Rehman songs. Also anything in Kannada ............

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back