• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

How to source movies

Wharfedale EVO 4.1 4.2 Speakers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neeraj0272

I was using Moviemart.in but they have shut down. I am not able to find any movie rental library which would collect and receive movies on their own. And I think local libraries have also closed down.
So my question is how to source blu ray movies?
I don't want to buy movies because besides being expensive I don't want to waste space on disks.
Options like Netflix don't seem feasible because of internet bandwidth issue as well as maybe pricing of these services.
Downloading pirated movies is also not a good solution because of first of all obviously piracy and also due to internet bandwidth issue and quality of the movies.
So what to do to watch movies in full blu ray quality?
I watch 3 movies a week.

sidvee

I will be interested in answers to this post as well as I am in the same boat.
Cheers,
Sid

Naturelover

Staff member
Cities like Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Kolkata have many FMs. Possibly Hyderabad too. Maybe contributory city based libraries?
I find it quite surprising, and sadenning, that even metros do not have blu ray rental facilities.

htfan17

Its over. Hardly one may find couple of libraries here and there bec even the rental 100-150 per movie is high.

Most Ppl today are rather willing to pay more for internet and download and buy bigger and bigger hard disc to get higher bandwidth for HQ big size downloads. people want portability and convenience of 100s of movies on one hard disc. Pirated yes but that cheap way out is the sad but happening state of affairs.

Even i used to advocate strictly original BD buys till very recently but i faced the same question as the OP. Looking at my options, i find lack of content, lack of libraries and no sufficient discount/incentive to buy BDs even if i am willing to buy in bulk. HD cable is OK but it is compressed 1080i, aspect ratios are messed up, sound is fake 5.1 on many channels and worst of all, they are censored to the T for every lame instance of language let alone violence and kissing.

So in sum, not by choice but just by relative measure, with a heavy heart I found it better to convert to the comfort zone.

Neeraj0272

No use watching movies on cable or satellite TV coz of ad breaks, on screen ads even while movie is running, censorships, curse words being beeped etc.
I don't think internet bandwidth is cheap enough to justify downloading of full size blu Ray movies. A full quality blu Ray must be minimum 25gb. I watch 12 movies a month so I require 300gb a month. What plan can I get for 300gb from my ISP Airtel that I am using?

sam9s

I use Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and few other Roku channels .... and ofcourse Torrent for movies I do not find anywhere online to stream ......For TV series it is almost always Netflix or Amazon Instant Video.

I used to have rental service form seventymm but crapy service, dumb collection and stupid cc made me to drop it altogether ...... Streaming services are much better for what they offer, if you have alreast an 8mbps collection and atleast 50GB fup you are good.

Vinod.R

I have an idea which should work in this forum.

1) We (as a group legally purchase movies) from sites like amazon, flipkart etc.

2) It should be a collection of movies which everyone can watch.

3) We courier movies across the country to each other until all the movies are watched.

4) Costs can be equally shared among all of us. Shipping can also be done by manually handing movies to members who are going to another town etc.

5) No fights etc for delayed shipping etc. It should work with like minded individuals.

6) We also use the discs carefully so that the next member gets the same movie in pristine condition.

7) Gradually we can be a library of blu ray discs etc.

I of course do not know whether it is legal to discuss such a thing in this forum or not, mods please note

This is of course a rough sketch but someone who is more competent than I am can work the planning and logistics.

Vinod

Neeraj0272

How can 50gb fup work if we want to watch movie in its full hd glory? Blu rays are about 25gb each or maybe go upto 50gb.
If we have set up our expensive home theaters for full hd then I would like to go for getting best pq.

druk2004

Great Idea from Vinod.R. But making it operational can be challenging but still a good idea.

Naturelover

Staff member
I see iTunes has option for HD movie downloads. But don't quite understand their options.
It says "Includes 720p and 1080p. (Downloading 720p)".
What does that mean?
Giving a random example below.

Vinod.R

I was just using apple TV (borrowed from my uncle to make it work) and I must say that I am disappointed by it. Here are the reasons:

1) It is a pay per view model.
2) Even after you buy it, it is stored in their icloud or whatever they call it, which means to watch a movie that you have paid for, you have to wait for it to download so that you can watch it. Given our internet speeds in India, that is a long wait.
3) There is no option to download it to a hard drive.
4) Video and audio quality obviously take a dip.
5) Customization is very less. It (apple TV) assumes that customers are dodo's.
6) The whole process to me was quite rigid. It is like you are in jail with no freedom. :)

Which I guess means that blu ray discs should be the best way to watch movies, albeit a bit more expensive.

sound_cycle

I see iTunes has option for HD movie downloads. But don't quite understand their options.

I have rented a few (SD) movies there. The choice is very limited, and Hindi movies (which I am not looking for) get all mixed up with the stuff I am looking for.

No complaints from me about the cost/ IQ/ SQ though.

ciao
gr

sam9s

How can 50gb fup work if we want to watch movie in its full hd glory? Blu rays are about 25gb each or maybe go upto 50gb.
If we have set up our expensive home theaters for full hd then I would like to go for getting best pq.

1080p streaming rate is anywhere between 5-6mbps (netflix recommendation) and 4K around 20-25mbps.........so technically speaking taking 5mbps as the mark for 1080p streaming .....it gives us 300 mbps/minute or 18000 mbps/hour or 2250 MBps/hour ... which come to 2.19GB an hour ..... so yes 50 GB will give you 22.8~23 hours of 1080p Full HD viewing ....... :) OR let me put it in a different way assuming a Hollywood movie takes 2 hours to complete, you bandwidth consumed will be 4.38GB (2.19x2) so with 50GB FUP you will be able to watch around 11-12 full HD 1080p movies ..... not bad if you ask me ... :)

Anyone can correct me if I miss calculated here ...

Last edited:

sam9s

I have an idea which should work in this forum.

1) We (as a group legally purchase movies) from sites like amazon, flipkart etc.

2) It should be a collection of movies which everyone can watch.

3) We courier movies across the country to each other until all the movies are watched.

4) Costs can be equally shared among all of us. Shipping can also be done by manually handing movies to members who are going to another town etc.

5) No fights etc for delayed shipping etc. It should work with like minded individuals.

6) We also use the discs carefully so that the next member gets the same movie in pristine condition.

7) Gradually we can be a library of blu ray discs etc.

I of course do not know whether it is legal to discuss such a thing in this forum or not, mods please note

This is of course a rough sketch but someone who is more competent than I am can work the planning and logistics.

Vinod

Great Idea from Vinod.R. But making it operational can be challenging but still a good idea.

This idea has been tried and banned as well a lot of time in the past ..... check out the below threads ...

http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/9829-attn-bluray-movies-buy-sell-trade-rent-got-deleted.html

http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/24457-people-interested-trading-exchanging-blu-rays.html

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/16591-sell-exchange-bluray.html

rikhi22s

For the Hyderabad folks, there is hopefully some good news. Ebox has set-up kiosks in some big gated communities. Please follow their link which will provide additional information on location, rentals and security deposit. As of now there collection does not look huge but will hopefully improve once people start using it.

http://ebox.co.in/movies

Another option is Tata Sky showcase but again the choices are limited.

Following this thread for more options.

Here is what the kiosk looks like

IMG_20150611_145737190.jpg

Vinod.R

Sorry about that, did not realize that it is not legal to discuss this, though I fail to see the connection with my idea as it is of a non commercial nature.

I will of course not discuss this any further.

But then the next question is, how do we source movies? Any place we can buy original movies cheaply?

sud98

For Indian Movies check out Eros Now. They have a good collection of Hindi Movies. Hindi Movies | Watch Bollywood Movies Online - Eros Now

The HD option is a paid one.

The Itunes question is one of cost. The 1080 version is costlier is what I remember.

From a future perspective, online viewing makes more sense and is cheaper.

An Airtel 16Mbps with 100 GB FUP costs around 1600 which will be the same as probably two or three BD titles.

With Netflix too coming in at some time, this is the option to go.

We, in this group, did use the option of sharing ones movies. In fact, the reason why a lot of the old timers put the list of movies they own in the signature is for that purpose.

Since the forum decided its not legal, so all discussion on sharing has stopped.

idlefriend

Now rental blurays services has been stopped in India.only one official streaming site is big flix to watch movies.Netflix,Amazon video are not authorized here.torrent sites also illegal.so there is no service in India to watch movies.

Birendra

hi All,

The Best way to watch movies online which i do for free that too of good Quality (Mostly 720p or 1080P) is from Popcorn time. You can download their App in mobile, Laptop etc.
The App is not available in Google playstore but available on the popcorn time website. its available for both Android, IOS and WEB
They have a good collection of Movies and tv-shows with good PQ.
The only thing you need to have is a good broadband speed that too unlimited.
I have a 10mbps unlimited connection. The movies/Tv shows can be watched online or can be downloaded as well. It works similar to torrent where u can stream it online or download to watch later.
Let me know if this help or any Query you have
Birendra

venkatcr

Sorry about that, did not realize that it is not legal to discuss this, though I fail to see the connection with my idea as it is of a non commercial nature.

Ownership rights and the law says that a DVD/Blu-ray can only be used by the original owner within his house. So the minute you start talking about sharing, you are breaking the law even if you do not charge anything. You are actually renting movies free.

Strictly speaking, if you call a couple of your friends and watch a movie together, you are breaking the law!!:mad::mad:

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.