How to stream digital out from phone into USB of Car audio

cha_indian

Usually when i am going on a long ride in my car i use the Gaana app on my phone and via Aux-in play on my car stereo.... The problem is SQ is very low this way....

Is there a way to get digital out from phone to USB port on car head unit ?

If your phone supports otg support, you could try that with a dac between the phone and head unit. I have used a very basic fiio k1 this way and found it to be good. However, I usually end up using Bluetooth most often.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Usually when i am going on a long ride in my car i use the Gaana app on my phone and via Aux-in play on my car stereo.... The problem is SQ is very low this way....

Is your car's HU USB port support generic devices? IMO if it supports audio input from that port then it will work. Because most HU just support storage device at that port. It may not accept digital stream in PCM format.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Does your HU support bluetooth?
I now prefer bluetooth over USB cable in my car.

Can you share what model HU you have in your car?

Is your car's HU USB port support generic devices? IMO if it supports audio input from that port then it will work. Because most HU just support storage device at that port. It may not accept digital stream in PCM format.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

This is what i got from the User's manual....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSC (Mass Storage Class) and MTP (Media Transfer
Protocol) type USB devices (such as a USB flash
drive, digital media player, Android phone)
compliant with the USB standard can be used.
Depending on the digital media player or Android
phone, setting the USB connection mode to MTP is
required.
Notes
? For details on the compatibility of your USB device,
visit the support site on the back cover.
? Playback of the following MP3/WMA files is not
supported.
? lossless compression files
? copyright-protected files
? DRM (Digital Rights Management) files
? Multi-channel audio files
1 Connect a USB device to the USB port
(page 6).
Playback starts.
If a device is already connected, to start
playback, press SRC to select [USB].
2 Adjust the volume on this unit

Last edited:
It depends in your phone and its android implementation, and if it allows it to be read as a mass storage device by your Head Unit's USB port.

If so, then all your music files will be read by your HU and shown on the display as with any USB drive with songs.

Even a flagship AVR doesn't support the USB input (Digital) for android phones.. So your car head unit most likely will not support this function..

As explained by other FM, you can use a USB DAC..

I had used SMSL IDOL DAC with an android mobile, with digital output thru hibymusic application with aux input on my brothers car - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hiby.music&hl=en

If you are considering an USB DAC inbetween your android phone and car headunit, get some thing that doesn't have volume control on it, coz you need to fiddle with two volume control's.. One on the mobile & an other one on the USB DAC..

Look for a USB DAC that has lineout thru 3.5mm jack.. Something like Dragonfly black..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back