How to stream songs from Saavn?

vakharia

I am currently using Saavn (pro) which offers me 320 kbps MP3 songs using my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet.
At the moment, I connect it to my powered speakers via the headphone 3.5mm jack.
Now, I am looking at spending a decent amount of money on a proper Hifi setup, but would still like to use Saavn for the source (since I do not have the time to maintain my own music library on my computer at the moment)

The DAC in my Note 10.1 is obviously not very good and my Dell powered speakers are also falling short on the quality and soundstage that I am aiming for.

Since I intend to buy an 5.1 ch. AVR for the movies, I was considering the feature of BlueTooth in the AVR (such as with Yamaha RX V479 costing about Rs. 45000)

How good would be the experience via BlueTooth (aptX)?

Since the Note 10.1 also supports USB OTG, the other option is to try and use a small USB DAC and connect the output to AVR input, but I suspect there will be more challenges in this approach.

I do not have the budget to buy a professional quality DAC (another 50000 Rs) since I would be using that money to buy 2 good speakers which can be used for movies as well as music.

Bluetooth is actually good enough for Saavn since it is only 320 Kbps mp3. Whatever you need to lose is already lost, so bluetooth (aptx) wont destroy anymore. Your receiver setup should be good enough. Be sure to get good Bookshelves or Floor standers for Music.

I am currently using Saavn (pro) which offers me 320 kbps MP3 songs using my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet.
At the moment, I connect it to my powered speakers via the headphone 3.5mm jack.
Now, I am looking at spending a decent amount of money on a proper Hifi setup, but would still like to use Saavn for the source (since I do not have the time to maintain my own music library on my computer at the moment)

The DAC in my Note 10.1 is obviously not very good and my Dell powered speakers are also falling short on the quality and soundstage that I am aiming for.

Since I intend to buy an 5.1 ch. AVR for the movies, I was considering the feature of BlueTooth in the AVR (such as with Yamaha RX V479 costing about Rs. 45000)

Since the Note 10.1 also supports USB OTG, the other option is to try and use a small USB DAC and connect the output to AVR input, but I suspect there will be more challenges in this approach.

I do not have the budget to buy a professional quality DAC (another 50000 Rs) since I would be using that money to buy 2 good speakers which can be used for movies as well as music.
Bluetooth streaming looses some quality of recordings, u can try Google Chrome cast audio which streaming is done via WiFi. It can handle upto 24bit/96khz resolution files.and has good reviews.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I am also using SAAVN,wynk etc. through USB DAC of emotiva TA 100 but i would like to add equalizer. Can anybody suggest any free equalizer downloads for streaming media?

I am using saavn through google chromecast, and it is giving me great sound clarity. It will help you to disconnect your tab and use your mobile to control songs...

I am using saavn through google chromecast, and it is giving me great sound clarity. It will help you to disconnect your tab and use your mobile to control songs...

Can you please elaborate your setup for this purpose?

You need google chromecast device as well as wifi for this.
Connect chromecast to your receiver through HDMI and set it up
Install saavn app in your mobile
Once done, you can cast from your mobile to chromecast
You just need to select songs/album and it will be directly routed to chromecast over wifi
Mobile will be used just as remote control

Sorry to bump in, is the quality of saavn good as they have advertised? I have a tidal hifi subscription at the moment, and i must say, with indian songs the quality is not consistent. Some songs sound worse than a 64kbps stuff. I have found few songs which i never found elsewhere on saavn. On the trial they sounded like 128kbps at the max. (example: Alisha's older BombAy Girl' is not available elsewhere.) will a premium subscription improve sound of these albums. ?

Sent from my tolino tab 8 using Tapatalk

They say Pro version will have 320 kbps quality. But there is no trial offer or such. I use Apple music and that is plenty enough for me. Only problem is I will need iTunes installed, can't use web like Saavn or other services. Wynk is horrible interface, though it is free for Airtel users.

Sorry to bump in, is the quality of saavn good as they have advertised? I have a tidal hifi subscription at the moment, and i must say, with indian songs the quality is not consistent. Some songs sound worse than a 64kbps stuff. I have found few songs which i never found elsewhere on saavn. On the trial they sounded like 128kbps at the max. (example: Alisha's older BombAy Girl' is not available elsewhere.) will a premium subscription improve sound of these albums. ?

Sent from my tolino tab 8 using Tapatalk
I have not noticed difference between Saavn pro and the free version. This may be because I do not have HiFi equipment. You can buy 7 day pro subscription for Rs. 30.

My couple of inputs ..

1. Savaan isnt the best way to enjoy high quality music, it already compresses music to 320kbs that too MP3 (AFAIK), using aptX or aptX HD wont make any difference. Normal BT SBC can as well transmit MP3 320kbps

2. So if you are adament to use saavan, any AVR with casual BT profile will suffice.

3. If Movies is not your primary interest, instead of getting an AVR, get a Stereo Amp and a pair of decent Bookshelves, or get a set powered Bookshelves, like the awesome AudioEngine A5+

You can still save money by purchasing AVR for around 20-25K like Pioneer VSX-330, and add center and surround speakers later, keeping your stereo setup intact. (no point in spending 40+K on an AVR)

4. Instead of using Bluetooth, my strong recommendation is to use UPnP or Airplay protocol to transmit music.

5. If possible look for Spotify or Tidal (if you know how to make them work). Yes thats a caveat, plus you might not get the same collection on them as on say saavan, but quality is way way ahead from any Indian streaming services.

6. If you have to stick with indian service, then I would still suggest Gaana.com over saavan

For Android devices, please follow these steps:

1. Root your phone (this may void warranty, so do it at your own risk)
2. Use TWRP (https://twrp.me/Devices)
3. Once you are done with root, install apps like 'AirAudio' and set Audio Source to System Audio under General Settings. This will actually enable kernel level streaming. No quality loss.
4. That's all. Enjoy!

P.S. - I've tested this with my OnePlus 3T and it works great. However there are two minor drawbacks:
1. Device gets a bit hot while streaming
2. There is an audio delay of approx 2 seconds

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I use a chromecast to stream music from saavn
I have it plugged in to my avr
If you only want to stream music then you can use Chromecast audio.
I had earlier bought a bose bt with apt, but I found chromecast to be much better, the only thing that you would need is WiFi to make the chromecast to work

You need google chromecast device as well as wifi for this.
Connect chromecast to your receiver through HDMI and set it up

I am looking for a stereo amplifier, so I do not have HDMI. The other alternative is to look at Chromecast audio, but I realize that I need to then ALSO buy a Chromecast 2 (for casting Amazon Prime Video from the tab to the TV - but that is a separate topic)

My couple of inputs ..

1. Savaan isnt the best way to enjoy high quality music, it already compresses music to 320kbs that too MP3 (AFAIK), using aptX or aptX HD wont make any difference. Normal BT SBC can as well transmit MP3 320kbps
Good point. I am not sure how much is the difference since I have not got good speakers - but that will change soon - so I am just trying to evaluate all options quickly and not have any 'weak links in the chain'.
2. So if you are adament to use saavan, any AVR with casual BT profile will suffice.
Likely to skip AVR for now and go for a stereo amplifier.
3. If Movies is not your primary interest, instead of getting an AVR, get a Stereo Amp and a pair of decent Bookshelves, or get a set powered Bookshelves, like the awesome AudioEngine A5+
Yes. Dali Zensor 3 is likely to be bought soon. Price is just a shade under 30K

4. Instead of using Bluetooth, my strong recommendation is to use UPnP or Airplay protocol to transmit music.

Yes. I am no longer considering BlueTooth for now. Experimenting with UPnP and Kodi.
I have no Apple devices, so perhaps Airplay is not relevant to me?

I installed BubbleUPNP on my Android devices and then enabled everything I could on Raspberry Pi (Kodi). I don't quite remember what went wrong, but I could not get this working. Will try again.

5. If possible look for Spotify or Tidal (if you know how to make them work). Yes thats a caveat, plus you might not get the same collection on them as on say saavan, but quality is way way ahead from any Indian streaming services.

I looked at those briefly this morning. I might need to use VPN to signup. But I don't know how much of Indian content they have - I am assuming very little.

6. If you have to stick with indian service, then I would still suggest Gaana.com over saavan
[/quote]
Is that due to quality of source? Or some other reason? Never looked at gaana, raaga etc. so far.

For Android devices, please follow these steps:
3. Once you are done with root, install apps like 'AirAudio' and set Audio Source to System Audio under General Settings. This will actually enable kernel level streaming. No quality loss.

Very interesting! I tested it this morning from two Android devices and used both: my Panasonic TV as the 'receiver' and also Kodi on Raspberry Pi.
The audio output was good on my Panasonic Viera, but was not very good on Raspberry Pi.
On the plus side, I noticed that I do not need to buy anything else for this - except pay for the app (Rs. 300+ for each device)

I use a chromecast to stream music from saavn
I have it plugged in to my avr
If you only want to stream music then you can use Chromecast audio.
I had earlier bought a bose bt with apt, but I found chromecast to be much better, the only thing that you would need is WiFi to make the chromecast to work

Interesting tip. I am considering Chromecast Audio (available refurbished for Rs. 2000 - will need to buy a 3.5 mm to RCA cable extra to plug in my stereo amp.
I wonder if this will sound better than the AirAudio option above.

Good point. I am not sure how much is the difference since I have not got good speakers - but that will change soon - so I am just trying to evaluate all options quickly and not have any 'weak links in the chain'.

Likely to skip AVR for now and go for a stereo amplifier.

Yes. Dali Zensor 3 is likely to be bought soon. Price is just a shade under 30K

It does makes a difference, higher the quality of your Audio Gear bigger is the difference, with my Audio Engines A5+, I can make out the difference between FLAC and 320Kbps MP3s, BUT interesting thing is I cannot make out difference between FLAC and 320kbps Ogg Vorbis (Which spotify uses), hence I just love spotify for its quality.
Also if you are planning to spend 30K , do check AudioEnginesA5+, They rock ....

I have no Apple devices, so perhaps Airplay is not relevant to me?

not necessarily, Airplay can be used in other scenarios as well, like Moode is an Airplay renderer and I can use it to stream music from my Android as well using Airplay, though I prefer UPnP

I installed BubbleUPNP on my Android devices and then enabled everything I could on Raspberry Pi (Kodi). I don't quite remember what went wrong, but I could not get this working. Will try again.

Drop Kodi and opt Moode for comprehensive Music experience, then use bubble UPnP to transmit music to Rpi (with moode installed on it), this is my current set up as well

I looked at those briefly this morning. I might need to use VPN to signup. But I don't know how much of Indian content they have - I am assuming very little.

Just once during initial registration setup, once you are registered, and have opened the webplayer of spotify/Tidal on browser once (with VPN conected) they keep on opening afterwards as well, without VPN. If by any chance they stop just connect the VPN again open spotify on browser and then disconnect the VPN.

Coming to content, SPOTIFY rules, drools with Bollywood content, truck loads of albums, as old as K.L Sehgal to Arijit Singh ..... I have created 10-15 playlists and I thoroughly enjoy spotify. Tidal have quite a less of Bollywood, but it does also have and it is the only online streaming service to give full FLAC Streams ....

Is that due to quality of source? Or some other reason? Never looked at gaana, raaga etc. so far.

Quality, ease of use, better management, better android app, lot many reasons.

Last edited:
Drop Kodi and opt Moode for comprehensive Music experience, then use bubble UPnP to transmit music to Rpi (with moode installed on it), this is my current set up as well

Well, my RPI is also used for movies - so I cannot get rid of openelec and Kodi.

I don't think I would like to buy another RPI just for Moode, because then I need to also buy two Digi+'s (or DAC+'s) as well and the cost just goes up.
Isn't it cheaper to go with Chromecast audio instead?

I find Apple Music to be convenient and good quality at the same time. I use the airplay features with Volumio on Cubox-i to stream to my DAC/AMP/Speakers.

Well, my RPI is also used for movies - so I cannot get rid of openelec and Kodi.

I don't think I would like to buy another RPI just for Moode, because then I need to also buy two Digi+'s (or DAC+'s) as well and the cost just goes up.
Isn't it cheaper to go with Chromecast audio instead?

CCA is what 3500, in India, for 1500 more (Rpi 2 + DAC) and you will get a much robust, versatile, more flexible and IMHO better solution. No saying CCA is bad, but the support for CCA is still less than UPnP/Airplay protocol, plus CCA is believed to resample everything @ 44.1Khz, no matter what the original source is. (Not sure if any firmware update has fixed this)
Anyway for me Rpi+DAC is one-time proper solution for Quality Audio Playback and one dedicated permanent setup for a music lover like me, is a necessity ... :)

Last edited:
CCA is what 3500, in India, for 1500 more (Rpi 2 + DAC) and you will get a much robust, versatile, more flexible and IMHO better solution. No saying CCA is bad, but the support for CCA is still less than UPnP/Airplay protocol, plus CCA is believed to resample everything @ 44.1Khz, no matter what the original source is. (Not sure if any firmware update has fixed this)
Anyway for me Rpi+DAC is one-time proper solution for Quality Audio Playback and one dedicated permanent setup for a music lover like me, is a necessity ... :)

Good point, but the cost calcuations are quite a bit off:
Since I do not want to touch my openelec/ Kodi, I need to buy a new RPI + new memory card + a new (and audiophile grade) powersupply + additional cable to connect to amplifier + HiFi Berry DAC. All of that will be close to Rs. 10000.
A CCA can be obtained at about Rs. 2000 on ebay.in
So, that is quite a difference.

However, for the moment once my new gear is in, I will try to use Yatse and OpenElec on my existing RPI. That can play FLAC as well - I just need to arrange for a DAC.
I understand that the interface and user experience of MoOde will be something I might miss, but will I miss say 24 bit/ 192 quality as well with openelec?

Good point, but the cost calcuations are quite a bit off:
Since I do not want to touch my openelec/ Kodi, I need to buy a new RPI + new memory card + a new (and audiophile grade) powersupply + additional cable to connect to amplifier + HiFi Berry DAC. All of that will be close to Rs. 10000.
A CCA can be obtained at about Rs. 2000 on ebay.in
So, that is quite a difference.

However, for the moment once my new gear is in, I will try to use Yatse and OpenElec on my existing RPI. That can play FLAC as well - I just need to arrange for a DAC.
I understand that the interface and user experience of MoOde will be something I might miss, but will I miss say 24 bit/ 192 quality as well with openelec?
For audio, better to go with Moode. However almost all players can play a flac file. Choice is yours.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back