how to unscrew a jammed screw?

gobble

In the process of trying to figure the assembly of my new cpu heatsink, I screwed one nut into a wrong hole of the heatsink clip.(Not only that - I scratched and nicked the circuitry of my mobo with a screwdriver :mad:) The joy, anticipation and hope of evolving my system and upgrading my digital life with a silent and quiet cpu fan wedded to the cpu in a strife-free and peaceful manner is destroyed. The honeymoon is over even as it began :rolleyes:

The screwdriver notch is wearing off on this nut after repeat attempts to turn it back the way it went in. I cannot hammer it as it is not a flat horizontal clip and i dont want to damage it. I tried heating the clip on a gas flame to expand it, but it seems the only thing expanding is the screw. Now my investment is lying waste with the additional damage and cost of a potential mobo upgrade if I see unexplained crashes...

Haaarrrrumph! :mad:

How does one remove this screw delicately. Its not jammed due to rust so those chemical sprays wont help and I am afraid to give it to a local roadside workshop who might abuse it and render it totally useless.

Thanks
-G

Last edited:
In the process of trying to figure the assembly of my new cpu heatsink, I screwed one nut into a wrong hole of the heatsink clip.

The screwdriver notch is wearing off on this nut after repeat attempts to turn it back the way it went in.

Are you referring a Screw as "nut" everywhere?

If its indeed a screw, what kind is it (pan, round, countersunk, etc)?

If its a countersunk, then your are sunk.
If its a pan head, there is hope. Get a small triangular file. File two opposite sides of the screw head (need not be the same way as in the picture).

clipboard01yn.png

Get a small adjustable wrench and use it on the two sides to unscrew it. You can also use a pair of pincers, but adjustable wrench always works.

Whats a pair of pincers?

80681374.jpg

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back