How to upscale TataSky SD to HD via Onkyo-NR515

torrentkid

Hi

Is it possible to upscale SD channels to HD using a Onkyo-NR515 ? If yes, how can I do it ?

I tried to
1. Input/Output Assign ->
1. Monitor Out ->
Resolution set to Auto
I then tried changing it to Through and the TV would now say its displaying in 480p, but I still doesn't show any change.

Regards
Deepak.

I do not think that Onkyo 515 supports upscaling of composite input signal to HD signal through HDMI out. Also it is always better to get the upscaling done at the source, I mean at the setup box itself which is not possible in your current SD box. So get a HD setup box which will solve this issue permanently as you have a good HT receiver in Onkyo.

As far as I am aware, no current HD box across any platform( Tatasky/
Dish/D2h ) etc can upscale any SD signal.

There is a slight difference of the SD channels in HD box compared to SD box so some sort of upscaling is done by the provider. Also the OP can get the true HD channels as well apart from the SD channels.

The bit rate used by DTH providers in India, including Tatasky, is so bad that no amount of upscaling is going to improve the PQ. In fact upscaling will most likely deteriorate the PQ.

I do not think that Onkyo 515 supports upscaling of composite input signal to HD signal through HDMI out. Also it is always better to get the upscaling done at the source, I mean at the setup box itself which is not possible in your current SD box. So get a HD setup box which will solve this issue permanently as you have a good HT receiver in Onkyo.

I am connected from
* TataSky HD to Onkyo via HDMI
* From Onkyo to TV via HDMI

There are no composite cables I am using. Also, I am using TataSky HD, just not HD+. So, effectively it is a HD box and not a SD box.

So, upscaling should be possible afaik using the Onkyo. Just wanted to figure out how. :sad:

There is a slight difference of the SD channels in HD box compared to SD box so some sort of upscaling is done by the provider. Also the OP can get the true HD channels as well apart from the SD channels.

I doubt there is. :indifferent14:

The bit rate used by DTH providers in India, including Tatasky, is so bad that no amount of upscaling is going to improve the PQ. In fact upscaling will most likely deteriorate the PQ.

Agreed. But I wanted to check that myself and make sure the Onkyo does upscale. :eek:hyeah:

Oh I did not know that you are already using a HD box. In that case the SD channels would have been upscaled by the provider. Your onkyo will not help in upscaling the SD channels.

Oh I did not know that you are already using a HD box. In that case the SD channels would have been upscaled by the provider. Your onkyo will not help in upscaling the SD channels.

@manniraj: Sure I understand that it is not doing it. Do you, by any chance, know why it won't upscale the video ? :mad:

What re my other options. Watching SD channels in my Bravia W650A is pathetic. At least I want to avoid the stretch from 4:3 to 16:9. Upscaling need not necessarily increase the quality but changing the aspect ratio would be enough for me.

Thanks

@manniraj: Sure I understand that it is not doing it. Do you, by any chance, know why it won't upscale the video ? :mad:

What re my other options. Watching SD channels in my Bravia W650A is pathetic. At least I want to avoid the stretch from 4:3 to 16:9. Upscaling need not necessarily increase the quality but changing the aspect ratio would be enough for me.

Thanks

Note: I dont have an AVR. These are just my opinions of possibilities based on my past experience of AVRs.

AVR cannot upscale because the HD box is already sending the in 1080 even though the actual signal is a badly upscaled SD image. Now the question is how do u tell the onkyo that the original image of SD channels is SD and not HD. You can possibly do this by selecting SD resolution in ur HD box's resolution settings. But that will impact your HD channels viewing. So u will have to change this setting every time u switch between SD and HD channels which is a pain. However by trying this out, u can possibly check whether ur AVR upscales SD to HD better than the HD box.

If your sole intention of upscaling is 16:9 image, then thats not a big deal. There is option in 'Organiser>User settings>conversion for 4:3 video' Select pillar box in this setting and bingo - all 4:3 images of SD channels will not get stretched. You will get vertical black bars on Left and right but at least no one will look fat. By default the setting is set to 'stretch' because u know ppl in this country prefer filling up of screen irrespective of source ratio :D

Try playing with the TV aspect ratio. I used 'screen fit' in my Sammy TV which scaled up the bottom and up a little which helped. Some of the TV programs shot in HD will have a black bars at bottom and UP when telecasted in SD channels. The above option will help in reducing the size of these bars to some extent.

Siva

Note: I dont have an AVR. These are just my opinions of possibilities based on my past experience of AVRs.

AVR cannot upscale because the HD box is already sending the in 1080 even though the actual signal is a badly upscaled SD image. Now the question is how do u tell the onkyo that the original image of SD channels is SD and not HD. You can possibly do this by selecting SD resolution in ur HD box's resolution settings. But that will impact your HD channels viewing. So u will have to change this setting every time u switch between SD and HD channels which is a pain. However by trying this out, u can possibly check whether ur AVR upscales SD to HD better than the HD box.

If your sole intention of upscaling is 16:9 image, then thats not a big deal. There is option in 'Organiser>User settings>conversion for 4:3 video' Select pillar box in this setting and bingo - all 4:3 images of SD channels will not get stretched. You will get vertical black bars on Left and right but at least no one will look fat. By default the setting is set to 'stretch' because u know ppl in this country prefer filling up of screen irrespective of source ratio :D

Thanks for your input. Let me say a couple of things here. First of all, TataSky HD is capable of delivering SD in 4:3 & HD in 16:9 without switching between settings.

I also tried this:
* Set TataSky HD STB to send SD channel to Onkyo in 4:3
* Tried switching between Upscaling resolutions - 480p, 720p, 1080p 1080i in Onkyo Settings

RESULT - NO CHANGE in aspect ratio in the picture on TV. It still displays in 4:3.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back