How to use old preamp+processor with latest audio formats?

sonic_nirvana

Hi All,

I have a old, but a very good quality 5.1 Preamp + DTS decoder (Angstrom 200 HED). It can't decode the Dolby or other latest HD formats. Also it doesn't have HDMI input.
Now if I get a Blu-Ray player with built in decoder and 5.1 analog outputs, I can use this preamp with all current audio formats.
But with this option, I can't use the DAC of preamp right?
Is there any other way to decode the latest formats externally and use the preamp's DAC?

One more question, can we connect the BD player's analog outs directly to multi channel power amplifier or we need to use preamp also?

Thanks
Satya

But with this option, I can't use the DAC of preamp right?
Yes

Is there any other way to decode the latest formats externally and use the preamp's DAC?
Which means you have to decode HD-Audio and then compress into 5.1 (DD/DTS) for your pre-amp to be used... Do you really want to do this?

can we connect the BD player's analog outs directly to multi channel power amplifier or we need to use preamp also?
BDP's analog outs could go to Amp directly...

can we connect the BD player's analog outs directly to multi channel power amplifier or we need to use preamp also?
BDP's analog outs could go to Amp directly...

If the signals from the BDP are standard line out signals, you have to use the preamp.

Cheers

So, if i add a "Preamp+processor" in the "BDP->PowerAmp->Speakers" chain will it add any value? Can I add it in the first place ?
Is it a big comprimise to use DAC of BDP instead of decicated Processor ?
Thanks Kumar.

-
Satya

So, if i add a "Preamp+processor" in the "BDP->PowerAmp->Speakers" chain will it add any value? Can I add it in the first place ? Is it a big comprimise to use DAC of BDP instead of decicated Processor ?

We are talking in very vague terms here. Will the DAC of an Oppo BD-93 beat a surround sound processor from Anthem, B&K, etc? Maybe not. But will it beat the processing of an entry level surround processor? - certainly yes. Will the processing of an entry level Sherwood BDP be better? Most probably not.

Unless we have specific details of the products in the chain, there is no way you can get an honest answer.

Cheers

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back