How worse is the motion handling on lg c8?

Dirac

Taking a jump from the best of plasma to oled. For me motion is the biggest criteria. But Lg c8 prices are way below sony and panny oleds.
Can owners of lg c8 share their experiences with motion?

Thanks.

Taking a jump from the best of plasma to oled

Motion alone is not important, you also need good upscaling. I took some OLED demos recently. I recommend going for Sony over LG for both motion and upscaling even if the price difference is high.

Have a look at my recent posts from my profile page where I have shared more details on the subject.

I have taken a long demo of both c8 and a8f side by side. I even got my own clips, high res - low res both. And really... I couldnt notice any difference at all.. or maybe very minute that does not justify the price difference. you must check it out yourself. And the main thing is both the tvs should be on the same settings, preferably cinema mode which is most accurate colour mode.

And really... I couldnt notice any difference at all.. or maybe very minute that does not justify the price difference. you must check it out yourself. And the main thing is both the tvs should be on the same settings, preferably cinema mode which is most accurate colour mode.

Agreed. One should do the testing themselves before making a choice. For me, the difference was very clear. This is how it looked to my eyes:

Upscaling: I recommend taking a 720p or 1080p clip to see the difference in upscaling. And if possible, take two pen drives with the same clip and ask them to pause on a face at the same time. Then observe the difference in sharpness in the lines of the face. LG seemed very blurry for low-resolution content while Sony was sharp. I couldn't believe the difference and tried every setting on LG, including increasing the sharpness to the top, and putting both on the Std and Cinema settings. Nothing worked. It is possible that the demo unit in the store was faulty. Or it is possible that all reviewers are only looking at 4K content or not comparing them side-by-side with Sony at the same time. If you look at the LG model alone, then you won't notice this difference.

Motion: LG gave the effect of watching a home video while it felt like watching a movie on Sony. Can't explain why, but that's how it felt to me. I didn't mess with the motion settings on this test and so it may be possible to make them more similar.

History: I trust Sony more than LG with both motion and upscaling, and for better quality control. Look at any lower LG model in the LED-LCD category and you won't like them in comparison with Sony. It is not just the difference in VA vs IPS panels, but also in the processing. While LG supplies OLED panels to Sony, they seem to have been quality control and better processing.

Design: I hate Sony's A1 and A9F leaning design and prefer the more straight A8F model. I am hoping that the next version will be better after users complain about it.

LG: On the other hand, there are many happy LG OLED users and its C8 model is also highly rated. Any OLED will look better than LCD. So it depends on the individual what he chooses after doing his own research and testing.

Last edited:
Honestly I did not find that much difference between the picture quality.rtings just publish best tvs of 2018.It says B8 which last last generation a7 processor.Even if you check other tv reviewers such as vincent of hdtv or digital trends all are saying buy Lg because its the best value for your money.The price difference is huge that you can get a 65 inch lg if you are willing to pay 20 to 30k more than sony a8f 55 inch.

It depends also on what is your primary use.If you are intending to watch lots of streaming and console games.Then LG is better choice because it has low input lag and better HDR capabilities.If you going to watch tata sky then sony is better.

LG C8-Better HDR and low Input lag and brightest of the Lot.

SONY A8-Better Motion processing and upscaling and dimmest of the lot
e
Panasonic-Most colour accurate tv and better motion and upscaling than LG and Brighter than sony.

Its not going to be day and night difference between these tvs as all have LG OLED panel and all are expensive so please go and check for yourself and then decide.

Taking a jump from the best of plasma to oled. For me motion is the biggest criteria. But Lg c8 prices are way below sony and panny oleds.
Can owners of lg c8 share their experiences with motion?

Thanks.

What is the refresh rate of your plasma?
What is the source?
Are you planning to get same plasma like experience in 4k?

Getting the oled for my HT room, only movies and games. C8 is my weapon of choice, if I havw to buy a TV for dth, that is living room, I will rather buy a mi TV.

Panny has the good things of both Sony and Lg. But reviews say that the accuracy of HDR picture took a toll on impact. Lg c8 is impactful but in all side by side reviews we can see that the picture lacks finesse and stability when compared to the ones of panny and sony.

Motion handling clip. Panny oled on left vs lg c8 on right.

That is the idea. Source is roku 4k.

Ok.

I don't have any OLED or QLED. I have experienced none of them yet. So I am not biased towards them.

Let me share my point of view here:

1. A couple of years back when I visited panasonic showroom for plasma demo, I found UT50 was producing judder (to my eyes). When I compared it side-by-side against ST50, I found them smooth (not like soap opera) and I liked to motion very much. The reason is - ST50 was having double the refresh rate compared to UT50. I have tested them using a panasonic blu ray player and dark knight blu ray disc. However, plasmas are history now.
2. I find judder in my Sony 40" LED (FHD), VU 49" LED (4k), Epson 3500/6600 PJ (FHD) as all of them are having 60hz refresh rate.
3. I believe for a great movie experience, 120hz panel is a must
4. As per current HDMI 2.0 implemented consumer devices (like streamers, gaming consoles, PCs, Blu ray players), the bandwidth does not support 120hz @ 4k
5. So, whatever source we choose (apart from smart TV's apps like netflix, youtube etc) we are limited to 60hz for 4k content. Maybe native apps will support 4k@120hz (just maybe - I don't have experience)
6. I think the technology is yet to be matured
7. By early (or late) 2019 it is speculated that more HDMI 2.1 standard devices will come to market which might be affordable. Xbox One X may support 4k@120hz and VRR by early 2019 with their firmware upgrade.
8. Another key point to keep in mind is VRR - Variable Refresh Rate. As of now, this is available with Samsung QLED displayes. Don't know how much difference it will make for movie watching
9. I think, HDMI 2.1 is a must for 4k@120hz.

So, before investing a hefty amount on any OLED, QLED or any expensive panel, I will wait till next year till this 120hz issue is settled. Hope that helps.

Also, please check for ALB issues in OLED (I don't have any first hand experience)

Please note that this is my point of view only. I don't want to discourage any potential buyer or existing owner.

Last edited:
Ok.

I don't have any OLED or QLED. I have experienced none of them yet. So I am not biased towards them.

1. A couple of years back when I visited panasonic showroom for plasma demo, I found UT50 was producing judder (to my eyes). When I compared it side-by-side against ST50, I found them smooth (not like soap opera) and I liked to motion very much. The reason is - ST50 was having double the refresh rate compared to UT50. I have tested them using a panasonic blu ray player and dark knight blu ray disc. However, plasmas are history now.
2. I find judder in my Sony 40" LED (FHD), VU 49" LED (4k), Epson 3500/6600 PJ (FHD) as all of them are having 60hz refresh rate.
4. As per current HDMI 2.0 implemented consumer devices (like streamers, gaming consoles, PCs, Blu ray players), the bandwidth does not support 120hz @ 4k
5. So, whatever source we choose (apart from smart TV's apps like netflix, youtube etc) we are limited to 60hz for 4k content. Maybe native apps will support 4k@120hz (just maybe - I don't have experience)
7. By early (or late) 2019 it is speculated that more HDMI 2.1 standard devices will come to market which might be affordable. Xbox One X may support 4k@120hz and VRR by early 2019 with their firmware upgrade.
8. Another key point to keep in mind is VRR - Variable Refresh Rate. As of now, this is available with Samsung QLED displayes. Don't know how much difference it will make for movie watching

So, before investing a hefty amount on any OLED, QLED or any expensive panel, I will wait till next year till this 120hz issue is settled. Hope that helps.

Also, please check for ALB issues in OLED (I don't have any first hand experience)

Please note that this is my point of view only. I don't want to discourage any potential buyer or existing owner.

So casting from phone for 4k is better?

So casting from phone for 4k is better?

Ideally it should. Just guessing. Need to do a side by side comparison.

Now if we cast video from YouTube the video is played from smart TV even if we switch off the phone later. For other casting which is dependent on phone, I think that will not work. Simply because the bandwidth required for 4k@120hz will not be sufficient over WiFi.

Ok.

As per my understanding, all movies and tv series are recorded and displayed at 24 or 30 fps.So your actually not going to feed the 120fps content to the tv. So 120hz at 4k is not really must for good motion.

The day we moved from CRT, we were anyway doomed. At best we can select a tv that has very good motion processing algorithm that produces least artifacts.
Plasmas used to resolve 1080 lines in motion tests. Now 4k tvs cannot resolve half of it without any extra help from interpolation techniques.

In general the sharper the rendition of an image by a tv, the more motion issues get exagerrated.
I think Panasonic oled has a delicate balance between sharpness and impact.
Brighter than AF8 for HDR. Better in motion than lg c8. With accurate colors out of box.
Starting to enquire about price of fz1000 65 inch.
Atleast I will have satisfaction that I own a tv that is used in Hollywood for color mastering.

As per my understanding, all movies and tv series are recorded and displayed at 24 or 30 fps.So your actually not going to feed the 120fps content to the tv. So 120hz at 4k is not really must for good motion.

I was just trying to share my experience. The fps of the Blu ray was 24 only. Technically pana ut50 should have rendered that. All my displays should render that as well. Still I see judder in horizontal camera panning scenes (like ice age 2 initial few minutes) and need to see an end to end 120fps system to believe that (maybe I'm technically superstitious...ha ha).

However, for movie watching, I think 120hz panels (like LG C8 etc.) would give me proper experience. Yet Id like to wait till HDMI 2.1 and VRR.

In general the sharper the rendition of an image by a tv, the more motion issues get exagerrated.
I think Panasonic oled has a delicate balance between sharpness and impact.
Brighter than AF8 for HDR. Better in motion than lg c8. With accurate colors out of box.
Starting to enquire about price of fz1000 65 inch.
Atleast I will have satisfaction that I own a tv that is used in Hollywood for color mastering.

Will 65" be available at affordable price?

I was just trying to share my experience. The fps of the Blu ray was 24 only. Technically pana ut50 should have rendered that. All my displays should render that as well. Still I see judder in horizontal camera panning scenes (like ice age 2 initial few minutes) and need to see an end to end 120fps system to believe that (maybe I'm technically superstitious...ha ha).

However, for movie watching, I think 120hz panels (like LG C8 etc.) would give me proper experience. Yet Id like to wait till HDMI 2.1 and VRR.
Yes 120 hz is always better than 60 hz. It is because 24fps is not a multiple of 60Hz. To display 24fps content, what is called a "3:2 pulldown" is used. Basically, the frames alternate between being repeated 3 times and 2 times. It causes some scenes, notably panning shots, to appear juddery. 120hz TVs can avoid this entirely since they can just display each frame 5 times.

Yes 120 hz is always better than 60 hz. It is because 24fps is not a multiple of 60Hz. To display 24fps content, what is called a "3:2 pulldown" is used. Basically, the frames alternate between being repeated 3 times and 2 times. It causes some scenes, notably panning shots, to appear juddery. 120hz TVs can avoid this entirely since they can just display each frame 5 times.

That makes sense.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back