Howmuch to spend on a speaker

Sunderpalanivel

Hi Guys,

I need some advise please.

I have a naim nait5i stereo amp to use with my LP12 TT, I am looking for suitable speakers. In your opinion howmuch should I be spending (Max) on speakers for above mentioned amp. I dont like too bright sounding speakers.

Thanks,
Sunder.

well thats a tough one. the naim nait is a very good amp. at 50w per channel imo you should be looking at a good pair of bookshelves. the monitor audio silver series comes to mind. if im not mistaken it costs around 40-50k rupees. you can also go higher though if you go above a lakh you'd need better power. so i would say upto 80k??? what are your thoughts

From what I've read the Naim nait series has a slightly bright sound signature so you need a non bright pair of speakers.

For example, avoid dali but look at KEF speakers, B&W speakers and Jamo concert 803 bookshelf speakers.

Hi Guys,

I have a naim nait5i stereo amp to use with my LP12 TT, I am looking for suitable speakers. In your opinion howmuch should I be spending (Max) on speakers for above mentioned amp. I dont like too bright sounding speakers.

Thanks,
Sunder.

Hi Sunder,

How much u paid for naim?

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Sunder.

Please don't go by the 50w rating. Naim amps' power figures are greatly undermined. When I was considering a Nait 5i, the Mumbai distributor, Marbin Colah, advised me to go with Focal at the starting level. Moving up, you may consider - Spendor, ProAc, Harbeth, PMC as the options. These are generally suggested for Exposure also which supposedly shares a very similar sound charactersitic to Naim.

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Sunder.

If vendors dont allow a home demo please carry your amp (very light & convenient) everywhere & hear for yourself. With this amp lots of the usual suspects CAN & WILL sound forward or bright as you describe so watch it.

Focal as suggested by you will be a poor match IMO go with spendor, harbeth, proac as they will sound more balanced.

How much to spend is a difficult one to answer. I would say as much as your wallet allows on a speaker as that is finally what you wil hear!!!

Dont go by what distributors say or what are popularly paired together (ex rotel with B&W) rather judge for yourself. You will find better solutions elsewhere
Rgds

Hi Sunder,

Do look for the KEF R300's & pair your Amp with them. IMO, should be a good pairing. Keep us posted with your findings.

:)

Thanks all guys.

Yeah even I thought that I would have to spend at least a Lakh to do justice to the amp. I demoed Monitor Audio Silver series, it did sound good, but I liked B&W better. However, at 1.25 L Thiel sounded much better than both the above speakers. Perfect balance between Warm and Bright sound. But it costs 50K more than B&W bookshelf. I think I will go for Thiel, but before that I want to demo Harbeth entry level at 1.8L, but its bit over the budget for me :sad:

I did carry my amp and speaker cables for Monitor Audio and Thiel demo while B&W was demoed using a moderate amp, may be I should try B&W with my amp to get better idea. If B&W worksout then its well within my budget.

At that price point NEVER buy a speaker without trying out with your own amp. Unless you are extremely lucky, you will be throwing away your money.

Once you have made your final shortlist, listen with your own source and amp before committing. Hifi is an expensive hobby. Don't buy without trying first hand.

Hi sunder,you should look at linn majik 109 as you are using linn lp 12 and forget about everything.
Call me on 09768133863 for demo.

Hi Sachinder,

Thanks for that. Actually, I logged in to update that I have zero'd in on Linn Majik 109. I had a demo yesterday. I liked it a lot.

Thanks,
Sunder

Only spend that much money on speakers as much is the quality of the recorded content you listen to is what I would say.

+1 to that.

+1 each to both FMs corElement and Nikhil

@FM Sunderpalanivel
My two phooti kaudiees

Go for a two way/three way custom made design with active crossovers, if you want the best kind of sound. You may need 2/3 amps in all

In case not, then go in for a Transmission line design like Fried or the Salk Songtowers. There are people around on this forum who can do either for you, FM Hari Iyer being the first one that comes to mind for the latter.

A bass reflex design remains a bass reflex design, regardless of the moolah spent and/or upmarket (read high-end) brand owned. Best avoided.
Rear ported bass reflex is an absolute NO-NO in case you have to keep your speakers less than 18" from the rear wall.
That holds good for TL designs too, albeit to a much lesser extent.

Open baffle speakers with active XOs and equalisation are also strongly recommended but you may not like the lack of chest thumping bass which will then have to be augmented with a subwoofer.

I case you don't want to spend much (in keeping with what the quoted FMs have posted) then go in for these
HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker
but do keep in mind that you will need at least 18" breathing space at the rear and a couple of heavily solid wooden stands or sand-filled ones should they be made of tubular metal/plastic. FM magma of soundfoundations
aka Ali Bhai can help you with those.

Ooops, I just read your location ie New Zealand so getting stuff from the Desi FMs may not be cost-effective unless you plan to deploy your rig here in good old Mathrubhoomi (Motherland).

I stand firm on all else that I said and in fact, being in New Zealand/ close to Australia presents you with a whole lot of options on the lines as suggested by yours truly.

HTH
Cheerio

Last edited:
+Ooops, I just read your location ie New Zealand so getting stuff from the Desi FMs may not be cost-effective unless you plan to deploy your rig here in good old Mathrubhoomi (Motherland).

Have changed my location

Thanks for the information

I have decided to go for Majik 109. I demo'd it and quite like it.

I prefer a branded one to custom made when it comes to speakers. :D

A bass reflex design remains a bass reflex design, regardless of the moolah spent and/or upmarket (read high-end) brand owned. Best avoided.
Rear ported bass reflex is an absolute NO-NO in case you have to keep your speakers less than 18" from the rear wall.

This is a complete generalization and personalized opinion. The reality is model, technical implementation AND person dependent.

Have changed my location

Thanks for the information

I have decided to go for Majik 109. I demo'd it and quite like it.

I prefer a branded one to custom made when it comes to speakers. :D

I have average to good quality record. But in future will always try to get 180 gms , best possible record. So Linn Majik 109 should do the task

GREAT!
Heartiest Congrats on your new acquisition.
There's no denying the "made-for-each-other smugness" factor that comes with matching equipment, eh?;):eek:hyeah::cool:

I am so glad you went in for a front-ported speaker and that too
with a very 'unique-ly'(read almost horn-like) flared bass reflex port hidden behind the 2K tweeters.
Very CLEVER design, indeed, I must say.
I envisage that this would go a looooong way towards
mitigating the port turbulence factor that is otherwise inherent
to the topology/design.

Wise choice there, just like your TT and Amp. Now you have atruly classy set-up. Don't forget the stands, though. But no hollow stands please, OK? Approach FM magma via PM, he will design a pair for you akin (read stainless steel/aluminium replica) to the original Linn stands for these Majiks at an honest-to-goodness price.
Do a comparison before you decide to take the plunge. BTW, Ali does not do usually do wood.

Would you care to share where and for how much you got these speakers?
I am sure they sound fantastic.

Have fun!! Happy listening!! ENJOY:yahoo::yahoo:

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back