HSU STF-2 amp screwed up

madhurshankar

Hi All,
My HSU STF-2 amp got screwed up :sad:. Initially, I looked into the fuse and found it was blown off. So, I replaced a new fuse and turned on the sub but to my surprise he didn't awake added i was able to see smoke coming out from Power inlet.

I contacted Dr.Pete HSU and made an enquiry about amp servicing. Looking at to and fro shipping and handling cost he suggested me to buy a brand new amp which is costing 225$(~11k) inclusive of shipping + custom duties :mad:. But before buying a new amp i just want to confirm whether any one in INDIA preferably chennai can fix it. Can you guys please let me know any local guy/service center who can fix my subwoofer?

Regards,
Madhur

Madhur

You can try to get it fixed locally by an experienced techie, but having the circuit diagram will be helpful for him to trace the problem.Without it he will find it hard( though not impossible) to figure out the problem.

Hi All,
My HSU STF-2 amp got screwed up :sad:. Initially, I looked into the fuse and found it was blown off. So, I replaced a new fuse and turned on the sub but to my surprise he didn't awake added i was able to see smoke coming out from Power inlet.

I contacted Dr.Pete HSU and made an enquiry about amp servicing. Looking at to and fro shipping and handling cost he suggested me to buy a brand new amp which is costing 225$(~11k) inclusive of shipping + custom duties :mad:. But before buying a new amp i just want to confirm whether any one in INDIA preferably chennai can fix it. Can you guys please let me know any local guy/service center who can fix my subwoofer?

Regards,
Madhur

Hi madhurshankar,

I'm sorry to know of your loss. Try to get it fixed loaclly and if it doesn't work out, I have few audio technicians in Delhi. Let me know if I can help..

--
helium

Looks like a short circuit somewhere inside. Since you have to open it in any case why dont you open it and click some pictures so we may diagnose the problem atleast.

Guys,

Thanks everyone for prompt reply. I contacted power electronics here in chennai, one of my friend referred it. They were asking me to bring the amp unit, let's see how it goes. Thanks again guys.

Regards,
Madhur

Madhur

You can try to get it fixed locally by an experienced techie, but having the circuit diagram will be helpful for him to trace the problem.Without it he will find it hard( though not impossible) to figure out the problem.

Hi Mr.George,

Thanks for the tip. I requested for the circuit diagram from Dr.HSU he hasn't responded yet, hope he'll respond soon.

-Madhur

Looks like a short circuit somewhere inside. Since you have to open it in any case why dont you open it and click some pictures so we may diagnose the problem atleast.

Hi Mr.Doc,

I shall do this before giving the amp unit to power electronics...... May be you can give your perception too.

-Madhur

Hi Madhur,

Sorry to hear that. Just for my understanding is Dr Pete HSU your dealer ? Someone in the forum had mentioned about HSUs being available in india as well (or not ?)

One another thing could to to ask this question in the HSU research forum as well parallely. You might be able to find additional help (if any) from fellow HSU speaker owners.

HSU Research Forum (HRF) - Powered by vBulletin

good luck !

Guys,

Thanks everyone for prompt reply. I contacted power electronics here in chennai, one of my friend referred it. They were asking me to bring the amp unit, let's see how it goes. Thanks again guys.

Regards,
Madhur

Power electrnics are reputed guys & know what they are doing since they are the service centre for most of the high end gear sold in India. So your STF-2 should be in good hands.

FYI, Torwin Technologies (Torwin audio)is also part of the group.

Keep us posted on the developments.

:)

Hi Madhur,

Sorry to hear that. Just for my understanding is Dr Pete HSU your dealer ? Someone in the forum had mentioned about HSUs being available in india as well (or not ?)

One another thing could to to ask this question in the HSU research forum as well parallely. You might be able to find additional help (if any) from fellow HSU speaker owners.

HSU Research Forum (HRF) - Powered by vBulletin

good luck !

Hi Raja,

Pete HSU is the founder of HSU subs. The significant thing about HSU is their customer service, where its founder will take his time and respond to consumer's mail.

Regarding availability. Yes, HSU subs are available in INDIA. Audire is selling them but i suppose they aren't doing any servicing stuff.

BTW, Thanks for your valuable input raja. I'll post my queries in HSU research forum it really makes sense.

Quick responses from you guys eases my tension. Thanks again for your inputs.

-Madhur

Hoping that this gets repaired to you satisfaction soon.
I also recently bought the STF2 through Borderlinx and Iam of course keen to know how this gets repaired in India.

Hi All,

Regards,
Madhur

Thats a pretty lame response from the owner of a company that prides itself in customer service.

If you are going to ship the old one to him and he sends you a new one, that will be a replacement and should not attract custom duties. Do your math, it might be cheaper to send the old one, than paying custom duties on the new one.

Hi Raja,

Pete HSU is the founder of HSU subs. The significant thing about HSU is their customer service, where its founder will take his time and respond to consumer's mail.

Regarding availability. Yes, HSU subs are available in INDIA. Audire is selling them but i suppose they aren't doing any servicing stuff.

BTW, Thanks for your valuable input raja. I'll post my queries in HSU research forum it really makes sense.

Quick responses from you guys eases my tension. Thanks again for your inputs.

-Madhur

Audire was dealing with HSU, but now-a-days they are not selling HSU Subwoofers.

When I checked about 6 months back, the reason mentioned for not supplying this brand anymore was er .. too frequent quality problems.

--G0bble

Really? I thought they had a reputation for very good subs! Dr Poh Ser Hsu was the Chinese name of the founder-looks like that's now "Pete"-probably a case of rebranding for American buyers.

Really? I thought they had a reputation for very good subs! Dr Poh Ser Hsu was the Chinese name of the founder-looks like that's now "Pete"-probably a case of rebranding for American buyers.

He is basically from Singapore but later migarated to America.

When I checked about 6 months back, the reason mentioned for not supplying this brand anymore was er .. too frequent quality problems.

--G0bble

Personally i don't think it has quality issues at least mine didn't. It served me well for 3 good years and this is the first issue i'm facing :yahoo:.

But i always think that HSU sales guys are quite money minded. Another non technical issue that i was facing is they forgot to provide me spikes when i notified them about this they were very reluctant and later i bought it separately. Their customer service team serves well in technical aspects and sucks in other areas:mad:.

-Madhur

Madhur

Mr. George,

I requested amp circuit diagram to HSU support team and got the following response

Hi Madhur,

Unfortunately we aren't authorized to distribute the schematic for our
amplifiers, so the best bet would be to buy a replacement amp.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Ryan
The Hsu Research Team
985 N. Shepard Street
Anaheim, CA 92806
USA

HSU support team sucks.

-Madhur

Ok Madhur

The best thing now is to first try and get it repaired locally by a good technician. It makes sense to do some basic trouble shooting to try and figure out if there is any chance of repairing it here before looking at any other option.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back