HT package within 50-60k.

sand64

Please someone help me in selecting good HT (without screen) below 60k. I want real good sound reproduction.

(1) I think a good combination would be Energy Take 5 powered by an entry level AVR such as Yamaha 463 or Denon 1709. Add a DVDP for about 4K.

(2) Go for a good HTIB from companies such as Onkyo or Philips. These will cost much less.

Cheers

Please someone help me in selecting good HT (without screen) below 60k. I want real good sound reproduction.

buddy

are u lookin in for a 5.1 Home Theatre...or u r lookin in for smthin purely for music and hardly for movies...

I want real good sound reproduction.

and are u willing to be patient to get wt u want.?

bcas wt u want needs u to be patient in terms of time n investment...
i agree tht at once, when u hv decided on a budget it goes difficult to pump in more, so thts wt i want to ask u if u can be patient, then u can be a proud owner of a system tht will complement your requirements...

my basic funda is to start with few and complete it in steps and be proud, instead get smthin for name sake and kick urself every now and then...regretting the investment...

and if you are not, then above this post and below this post you will find many suggestions, go in for any of them...

Yes I am willing to wait for a better system. And although I shall be using it more for music than movies, it should be a 5.1 system. I have a Samsung CD player and a pair of old floorstander (with 8" woofer) & a pair of bookshelf speaker, which I may like to use for the timebeing in order to reduce cost. Further upgradation may be done in future...

So please suggest something real good....& having value for money too..

thanks & regards..

Yes I am willing to wait for a better system. And although I shall be using it more for music than movies, it should be a 5.1 system. I have a Samsung CD player and a pair of old floorstander (with 8" woofer) & a pair of bookshelf speaker, which I may like to use for the timebeing in order to reduce cost. Further upgradation may be done in future...

So please suggest something real good....& having value for money too..

thanks & regards..

buddy

good to hear tht...

now wt floorstanders and bookshelves u hv...

anyways, if u hv smthin to pass on for a while, then i suggest u to
start with a decent amp for around 35k or so..
then spend on cabling for 5.1 HT theatre...around 5k

then get in a nice pair of speakers...

then slowly start in with floorstanders and subwoofers and center..
and complete ur HT...

Thanks Mridul.

I am still a novice in the audio world. The floorstanders are from my old music system of BPL make which I bought 15 years back. It is wooden cabinet with tweeter, mid & and two 8" woofers. They sound good but as i am not sure if they sound as good as hi end models like jamo etc. I have never heard any of these hi end speakers...Bookshef are from old Murphy make.

But to start, pl suggest a good amp. For building a decent HT system if i use my old speakers for the time being, i will have to buy a sub & centre speaker. Sould i buy a complete HT package...

Venkat, Do you think phillips and onkyo are identical in sound/seperation quality? From my audition experience, onkyo is in a different league.

You could be perfectly right. I have not heard the Onkyo HTIB. I also respect Moser and lot of other who use Onkyo in this forum.

Madbull has auditioned over a dozen brands in Indian and abroad before he settled on the Philips. I have heard the Philips system at MadbullRam's place, and I think it plays quite decently.

All I was suggesting to the OP was two brands which I think, in the minds of our forum members, are on the top of the heap as far as HTIB goes. Obviously, as I have insisted many times before, the buyer HAS to audition and go for what he likes.

Frankly, people like Moser and Madbull are far better in suggesting HTIBs as they use them on a daily basis. That is the reason I did not mention any model numbers. If it comes to the OP buying based on just a recommendation from here, I am sure Moser and others will give better advise.

Cheers

I am still a novice in the audio world. The floorstanders are from my old music system of BPL make which I bought 15 years back. It is wooden cabinet with tweeter, mid & and two 8" woofers. They sound good but as i am not sure if they sound as good as hi end models like jamo etc. I have never heard any of these hi end speakers...Bookshef are from old Murphy make.

But to start, pl suggest a good amp. For building a decent HT system if i use my old speakers for the time being, i will have to buy a sub & centre speaker. Sould i buy a complete HT package...

If you going to build a system around existing speakers and DVD Players, it will be better if you buy an entry level AVR such as the ones I have suggested.

Depending upon the dealer, you can either take your floor standers to the shop and test with the AVR or get the dealer to bring the AVR home and try it with your speakers. If you like the sound, keep the floorstanders, and start building a 5.1 using a center, sub , and two book shelves from a good company. Look for timbre matching as much as possible. Make sure the impedance and sensitivity of the new speakers are as close as possible to your BPL floor standers. ProFX may be able to help you, as, if I am not wrong, it is also a BPL company.

Cheers

Thanks Mridul.

never do tht mistake buddy

ones u go in for a HTiB kind of thing then u will never get anythin better thn a music system

Since you are the kind of guy who is not fond of discarding audio equipment for many years, its best you purchase something that will satisfy your audio appetite and last long enough for your grand children to enjoy. Ofcourse there is no such thing as cheap and best, so you will have to more than double your budget for the whole 5.1 system, but you can buy it as a stereo setup and add the sub, centre and rear speakers in the years to come as you get more money. Its well worth it if you dont wanna upgrade for long and Genelec products dont go obsolete for decades. Check out the new Genelec 6010 + 5040 system.
Genelec - 6010A & 5040A System
You can get a demo in Bombay at Pandam located in Mahim
Genelec Oy - Distributors
Genelec is a company based in Finland and provides most of the recording studios worldwide with loudspeaker monitoring systems. They still provide spares and service for their earliest models manufactured 3 decades ago

Ha Ha, unfortunately not. But I was in their Bombay showroom earlier in the week to listen to their new DSP system. I thought it was really amazing. They gave me a full presentation on all the technical and design aspects and I was totally impressed. I have known about their products for years and they have always put out impressive active loudspeaker systems. But this new DSP system is the best they have done so far. And it does not cost the earth.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back