HT room setup help needed

buzzaro

Hi, FMs

My first HT is finally coming together. Need help on couple of points of confusion.

Firstly, below is my setup. The goal is a good 5.1.2 Atmos system.
I have 3.0 ready, now I'll be converting it to 5.1.2 in coming weeks.
I'll be using it for 90% movies, 10% music.

Fronts: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Rears: Elac Debut 2.0 OW4.2
Centre: Elac Debut 2.0 C5.2
Atmos: Micca M-8C
Sub: Polk HTS10/ YAMAHA NS-SW300 (Auditioning, will buy soon)
AVR: Yamaha RX V6A

Apart from Sub, everything is bought.

Confusion 1: Should I place the Rear speakers on the rear wall, or on the side walls as marked in the diagram?
Elac Debut 2.0 OW4.2 are on-wall speakers which would look very out of place if mounted on brackets or stands. They are meant to be placed on walls directly because of their slimmer profile. Since my listening space will be very close to the rear wall, placing the on-wall speakers on sidewalls will give a better angle, right?

Confusion 2: Where do the Atmos speaker go on the ceiling, in the middle of the room or closer to the listening space?
If closer to the listening space, how close? (Listening space is marked by the pillows.)

Confusion 3: On the left side of my room, I have huge French doors which open up to my balcony. Can I soundproof them?
They are made of glass and very thin wood. How bad are they for the room acoustics and what are some usual ways to deal with such doors or glass windows?

All advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• Room2.jpg
    Room2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 35
Hi, FMs

My first HT is finally coming together. Need help on couple of points of confusion.

Confusion 1: Should I place the Rear speakers on the rear wall, or on the side walls as marked in the diagram?
Elac Debut 2.0 OW4.2 are on-wall speakers which would look very out of place if mounted on brackets or stands. They are meant to be placed on walls directly because of their slimmer profile. Since my listening space will be very close to the rear wall, placing the on-wall speakers on sidewalls will give a better angle, right?

Confusion 2: Where do the Atmos speaker go on the ceiling, in the middle of the room or closer to the listening space?
If closer to the listening space, how close? (Listening space is marked by the pillows.)

Confusion 3: On the left side of my room, I have huge French doors which open up to my balcony. Can I soundproof them?
They are made of glass and very thin wood. How bad are they for the room acoustics and what are some usual ways to deal with such doors or glass windows?

Do you intend to sit on Bed and watch Movies?

Hi, FMs

1. The Rears should be on side walls, do good testing for height and angle before mounting
2. Ideally on top of your listening position, may be a feet or two ahead
3. You will need a thick curtain to cover it otherwise this would be the worst part of Room acoustic

Get a very thick Rug/Carpet of 8X5 infant of the Bed and also get thick runner rugs for side of beds.
You may also think of some interesting acoustic panels on top of bed's headboard

Hi, FMs

In a 5.1 system, the rears should be at the side of your listening position.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back