HT Speaker advise and setup advise wanted

meeejay

Hello, I am setting up a home theatre at my place in Mumbai. Need advise regarding the following:
I am buying the Yamaha HTR-3067 amp.
1) Was planning to buy the yamaha ns-p40 package to go with the amp, had auditioned it and thought it was good. The dealer gave me another option: buy the ns-p51 (2 sets, 1 set without centre) + NS-SW050 subwoofer. This has really thrown me off my decision (which I had reached with great difficulty :) )
Due to budget, i prefer opt. 1 but since I have never heard the nsp51, I dont know what to do. (price difference between the 2 speaker sets is Rs. 7,500). There is also differnece in dimensions, which too is a concern for me as I would like to keep it small. I want to know if there is a major difference between the two sets.
2) I was going to configure the AVR myself with the calliberation mic provided by yamaha. Is this good enough? or should I get a pro to do it. If so, how much do they charge? (Dont get me wrong, I do not mean installing the mounts on the wall and connecting the amp and cables. I mean specifically the configuration of the amp bit)
3) I am using MX gold braided HDMI cables and have an MX optical wire. Are these fine? or must I get higher ones? If so, which ones and how much do these cost?
4) During my last renovation 3 years ago, I had laid OFC free speaker cables for the fronts and surrounds. What gauge is recommended? Mine are thicker than the ones that yamaha comes with.

FYI, quote that I have got for the htr 3067 + nsp40 is Rs. 43,000/- and cost of HT3067+ nsp51+nssw050 is Rs. 50,000/-

Thanks in advance,
Mihir Jain

I too have a Yamaha old model AV receiver but not the calibration mic. I heard the calibration with MIC is OK but a pro is advised

Hi meeejay,

caliberation mic does help to set the acoustics, equalisation and levels as per your room area and surroundings...aims to achieve optimal performance....

If you are tight on a budget and want to get the best....there are some good products on olx being sold by individual users like us due to upgrade or relocation......

Thanks for the advise but buying from OLX doesn't build much confidence considering the amount invested is quite high. Instead, I'd rather buy a mid entry level set but new.

Please let me know about the speaker combinations if you can,

thanks

Hi

Most of us have experimented different systems ..sometimes buying new ones or even pre owned...that's how you get a flavor of different brands and systems...

New brands offer 1 year warranty and some offer perhaps 2/3 years.....typically nothing goes wrong if used appropriately so warranty in India makes no sense in my opinion....some of us trip then on grey market products...

see these packagaes available:

https://www.hifimart.com/package-deals/home-theatre-system

Similar ones would be there on htstore.in etc....

Back