HTiB for 25k for movies and gaming via PS3

mayanks_098

Hi. I have no idea in India we have a board like this. I was usually searching foreign boards but they are not exactly helpful as much of that stuff isnt available here in India. So Im glad I found it!

I want a HTiB recommendation for ~25k.

Now, I am a huge movie buff. Have been watching movies (and series) since my college days (like every other guy), and now the association is so strong is that I just cant let this be a separable part of my life, even after my job and marriage.
What I currently have is: A small room (10x12 ft), a Samsung 32 LED, a PS3. Xbox 360 will be bought in future (not immediate, ~1 year). I dont think I will buy a blu ray player as I already have a PS3. Does a standalone blu-ray player provide anything extra over PS3?

Usage:
I dont have a tv connection in bedroom (nor will be getting one in the bedroom. Ever). TV will be used only for playing movies (Blu-rays via PS3, and using mass storage via USB port on tv or PS3), and ofcourse gaming using PS3. I also plan to add one xbox when I can afford it in future. So outputs from PS3 and xbox will be given to AVR through DMI. That means I need atleast 1 HDMI input and 1 more when I will buy xbox. Not sure if Ill need more because these are all the devices I want to own. Am I missing something? I will be connecting my PS3 to AVR, connect tv to AVR via HDMI and use the sound system of HTiB.

It will be used mainly to watch movies with my wife by blu-rays, DVD running on PS3, or series/movies on my HDD or pen drives connected to either PS3 or tv directly./ I am not much into music, so music performance is not on my priority list. Whatever it gives, will suffice, as far as music is concerned. And oh yes, will also use it for gaming some times (~15-20%).

Room dimensions:
A small bedroom: 10 (w) x 12 (l) feet. I have tried creating a hand sketch of the lay out so that it can better describe the room so that I can get better suggestions. Now there are two problems with the room (as you can see in the sketch) (rotate the image 90 degree right):

XJHfQ.jpg

1. The size itself is not very big and given the current layout of how things are placed, I am not left with many options for placing my current belongings, leave alone adding a HTiB. But since I want my movies to look and sound amazing (no compromise on quality), I cant think anything else, but to add a HTiB. And I still also believe that HTiB can be added. No floor standers or book shelf speakers, but wall mounting ones will do. But not sure how will I place the sub.

2. There is a wooden almirah (2 feet wide, essentially covering the entire wall, except that that wall also has an entrance door) on the smaller (10 feet) side of the room. It makes the already small room even more smaller and makes the placement of the speaker a tough job.That makes it difficult for me to decide on the optimal placement. I also have little to none know- how about setting up a surround system for best experience.

So I need suggestion on what HTiB is best for this small room. Will my current options Onkyo HTX 3300/3400 suffice? (remember, I want a thundering movie experience/ excellent surround sound/ a cinema like movie experience)

My options:
I used to own a PS3 three years back (which I sold). I also used to own a Logitech z5500 D. While z5500 sure had thunderous sounds and floor shaking bass, one thing which I dint like was that bass was like booooooooooooooooooooooooom; and not boom. I am sure you experts will get what I am trying to say here. Forgive me for I dont know the exact term for that. While the bass feels good while watching movies, it was not exactly to my liking.
So, now I was again thinking of buying z5500 (or z906, which is the newer model), but then I realized that I read while buying z5500 3 years back that one should buy a HT to really get a good sound and that z5500 doesnt stand a chance against even an entry-level HTiB. Thats where I thought about getting these. After a lot of searching I have zeroed in on Onkyo HTS 3300/ 3400 . Though, I am still open to z5500 or z906 if they are sufficient for my needs given that they cost 8-10 cheaper than 3300/3400.

The lowest price Im getting for 3300 is 22.5k and for 3400 it is 26k after asking many dealers in Delhi-NCR.
Apart from that I am also getting 2 models of Yamaha. One is ~ 20k (dont remember which model). Other one is a display model hwose price (according to the demo guy) is ~32k and I can get it for ~19k.

If you can make out the Yamaha ones from the price, are they worth it? Specially the one @19k (dont forget its a display piece).

Or should I stick to 3300 (my primary choice after reading a lot on many forums that these are by far the best bang for entry level HTS)? I read on the forums that 3400 only has an extra HDMI in, which I dont think Ill need. So I dont think its justified to spend 4-5k for just one more HDMI input and front inputs.

What are my other options?

1 thing I want is that the sound quantity should not be less than z5500. I like quantity (thats what I meant by a thunderous, cinema like experience). But I also don't want "loose bass like z5500D". I am not concerned by quality, as it will ofcourse be better in an entry level HT as compared to z5500. But quantity matters as well.

I dont think Ill be upgrading any of the components very soon. I cant afford to, buying a HTiB for my movie needs is enough for atleast sometime now. Dont worry about a passive sub too, as z5500 must have had a psw too, but it was powerful enough o make things fall off my almirah, shake the floor etc. Havent heard an active sub so cant really tell the difference, but for now and foreseeable future.

Does 3300 speakers lack tweeters too, like z5500? If yes, then why should I buy 3300 when movie experience is great on z5500 (satellites dont have tweeters)?

Thank you for your patience. I dont know why I end up writing so long post when I ask for advice.

P.S. I understand I wont get a Ferrari if I can only pay for Nano. Just want best bang for my buck.

P.S. *2 If you recommend 3300, where can I get 3300 @ lowest price (better than 22.5k) in Delhi/ NCR?

TL;DR: Want a HTiB ~25k for mostly movies (DVDs, blurays, USB mass storage via PS3) and gaming via PS3 and Xbox from future.

My recommendation is Onkyo 3400. With 4 HDMI inputs, 3D and HD audio support, this HTIB is the best for your use.

I dont really need 4 HDMI inputs. SO I dont really see a point in spending 4-5k morefor just 1 extra input and front panel controls.

Hi Mayank,

Thanks for sharing your ideas. In fact, I was wondering how similar our needs are! I also own a PS3, a samsung 8 series 55 in LED. Airtel HD and a Philips 5.1 home theatre. However, nowadays i am getting into blu-ray movies more than ever (thanks to a blu ray rental shop in Gurgaon :), and therefore feeling the 2 year old Philip HT may not be be able to do justice to my needs anymore. Although I still feel the philips bass and surround was good for a 2-3 year old model

Therefore from last week I started my search for a A/v receiver and auditioned Denon 1312, Yamaha 296 and Onkyo 3400. To be hionest, I liked Onkyo due its overall performance and price. Denon was great too with JBP speakers, but the guy is quoting 45k which is beyony my budget.

Onkyo 3400 is 25k final price, but I wanted to check with experts from the firum whether I should explore other options. My budget is aroun 35K, and usage will be 90% movies and games.

I also wanted to check one more thing. My current Philips HTiB has tall floorstanding speakers, but all A/V recever combo models I am considering has small bookshelf speakers. So my questions, whether small speakers will effect the sound quality? Or the size will be compensatedd by quality.

Mayank - I will post further updates as I keep auditioning other systems. Please keep me posted too on yours.

Meanwhile, I would request experts and forum leaders to help us on this :)

Cheers

Kaustav

Hi Kaustav.

Yeah, looks like are needs are really similar.

Where did you get the price of 3400 as 35k? The Onkyo dealer in MGF mall quoted me the lowest price @26k. May be I can ask that dealer for a quote on 3300. Do you think with the launch of 3500, we can expect a price cut for 3300 and 3400? If yes, when?

My audition experience has been pretty bad so far. Mostly the guys are not trained properly and can't even give proper demo. Not sure where to go for a good audition. All the tech stores in malls are no good, it seems.

Hi Mayank,

The quote I got for Onkyo 3400 was 25k from the same MGF mall dealer. So 3300 model should be even cheaper, but not sure if its available in this part of the city.

Oruce cut might happen, but the 3500 will probably come to India by July-august, so you have to wait till then in that case.

I agree with your audition experience, they mostly dont know much. Also, in Gurgaon its mostly barnd outlets, so they always push their brands above others. It would be better if you can find a good sound shop which stocks all key brands. They would give you more neutral opinion and you canalso test multiple systems from the same setup/speakers.

However, The Denon showroom manager in MGF mall seems to have some knowledge has he was suggesting me differnt combos for both Denon/Harmaan Kardon with JBL/Energy speakers.

One more thing, someone told me that Dubai has cheaper prices for A/v receivers, so probably one can get the receiver from there and get speakers from here. I am suggesting speakers from here because in that case you can get some installation guidance from speaker dealer at least :).

Forum leaders - can you please suggest us any good shop around Delhi/NCR for audition and buying purpose? Also, and suggesitons for the right product in this budget?

Cheers,
Kaustav

hi !

even i want a home theatre for my PS3 and Blue-ray Movies .

in Chennai Onkyo 3400 is 25.5k.

the 3500 is coming in a month ( confirm) , but the price is 28k.

if there are price reductions , surely not in the next 2-3 months . i guess

is it worth spending 2-3k more ? i dont really care of the usb port . my ps3 has that . anything else USEFUL in 3500 for blue ray movies and ps3 ?

Nah...Dubai is not an option mainly because of A.S.S (if and when that will be needed). But I was reading on this forum about members buying from amazon.de. Dont know what are the pros and cons of that.

When did you get that quote? If it was some time back, the prices have changed since then.
Forum seems to be not that active as I expected. Wonder why. </pardonme>

@rnksarda welcome to the hunt mate! I dont think spending extra is worth it. PS3 serves the purpose you want. Experts can elaborate.

A.S.S should not be a problem for electronics bought from overseas, as long as they have an A.S.S team in India. What you will miss is warranty ... You will have to pay for A.S.S and that can be a costly affair at times.

To me it is a risk worth taking provided you save over 30%, just my opinion.

@Mayank

I have both onkyo 3400 and JBL SCS-140BK with AVR 134(harmon kardon). When it comes to movies and music and even gaming, JBL is much better than onkyo in this case. I have even compared both the amps connecting my telome speakers, and 134 made them sound much better than onkyo. I strongly suggest you look at the JBL option as I too use it to play games on my ps3 and it rocks!
The downside is that jbl does not support hdmi audio processing. You'll have to attach an additional optical digital cable from ps3 to the amp for audio. Apart from this, JBL is way better. I got the jbl package for 22k whereas onkyo set me back by 23k. The price difference isn't much, so its really upto you which one you decide, but i'll strongly suggest jbl.

A.S.S should not be a problem for electronics bought from overseas, as long as they have an A.S.S team in India. What you will miss is warranty ... You will have to pay for A.S.S and that can be a costly affair at times.

To me it is a risk worth taking provided you save over 30%, just my opinion.

When I said A.S.S, I meant warranty support so that I won't have problems if there is a problem within the warranty period (which is normally 1 year, ins't it?). But, if its only 1 year, I think you may be right, as the chances of trouble are less in one year of ownership as the product is new. So one might as well get it from abroad. No?

What is the idea behind people getting it from amazon.de? I mean why only amazon.de? why not .com or .co.uk or ebay or newegg? Whats the USP here?

@Mayank

I have both onkyo 3400 and JBL SCS-140BK with AVR 134(harmon kardon). When it comes to movies and music and even gaming, JBL is much better than onkyo in this case. I have even compared both the amps connecting my telome speakers, and 134 made them sound much better than onkyo. I strongly suggest you look at the JBL option as I too use it to play games on my ps3 and it rocks!
The downside is that jbl does not support hdmi audio processing. You'll have to attach an additional optical digital cable from ps3 to the amp for audio. Apart from this, JBL is way better. I got the jbl package for 22k whereas onkyo set me back by 23k. The price difference isn't much, so its really upto you which one you decide, but i'll strongly suggest jbl.

I think I read on forums that optical can not output DTS MA or True HD. If thats not the case, i'll gladly consider this option. I dont mind adding one more wire. Is there any other drawback?

Nah...Dubai is not an option mainly because of A.S.S (if and when that will be needed). But I was reading on this forum about members buying from amazon.de. Dont know what are the pros and cons of that.

When did you get that quote? If it was some time back, the prices have changed since then.
QUOTE]

Hi Mayank,

I got the quote just last weekend, so dont think its an outdated one :)

Also. for Yamaha 296, the final quote was 29k, which is not bad. However I dint find the sound better than Onklyo for movies at least.

I think I read on forums that optical can not output DTS MA or True HD. If thats not the case, i'll gladly consider this option. I dont mind adding one more wire. Is there any other drawback?

DTS MA and True HD are not supported though optical cable. But there's hardly any considerable difference between True HD and Dolby Digital when using a low-end system like the 3400 or 140bk. The best thing you can do is to listen both systems yourself. If you want a side by side comparison of both, you're welcome at my home. But I would strongly suggest against Onkyo 3400 as it was a bit of a disappointment for me especially after reading its rave reviews on hfv.

And as far as other drawbacks of JBL are considered, I didn't find any. It has more bass than onkyo, brighter and more accurate sound.

DTS MA and True HD are not supported though optical cable. But there's hardly any considerable difference between True HD and Dolby Digital when using a low-end system like the 3400 or 140bk. The best thing you can do is to listen both systems yourself. If you want a side by side comparison of both, you're welcome at my home. But I would strongly suggest against Onkyo 3400 as it was a bit of a disappointment for me especially after reading its rave reviews on hfv.

And as far as other drawbacks of JBL are considered, I didn't find any. It has more bass than onkyo, brighter and more accurate sound.

On their website (JBL CINESYSTEM 140BK), it says the price as 30k!

Hi,

I guess you could choose between a ONKYO S3400,YAMAHA 292 OR 294 and even a Denon 1312 xp.

Do not opt for the Onkyo 3300 as it has a very clumsy subwoofer, where as the 3400 has a wooden good sub.

The Denon has a Active Sub, where as the Onkyo has passive.
My neighbor has Yamaha 292, honestly when compared to my Onkyo 3400, sounds too harsh on the ears, where as the Onkyo sounds very warm and nice.Also the Onkyo has a On Screen Setup, which really comes handy while trying to adjust settings. With a price tag around 25k i guess Onkyo's a good option. You might also want to check on Ebay for some offers.

I'll give you the number of a dealer(authorized), who'll give it to you for 22-23k. that was the price when I bought it around 10 months back.

I am not sure if the prices at which you bought 10 months back will be the street price now. Apparently, the costs have increased. The dealers are citing the increased $ x-rate as the cause.

If if that indeed is the case, and if you dont mind me asking, how is the dealer giving it for so less? Is he a whole-sale dealer or something?

Are you sure that 3300/3400 DTS MA on HDMI > JBL 140BK DD or DTS on optical? I have always read the opposite. I am, admittedly, a noob, so I don't know. Just want to be sure. I hope the blu-rays will still sound amazing while using JBL 140BK optical output.

EDIT: P.S. Does it have Audyssey dynamic eq?

Last edited:
Hi,

I guess you could choose between a ONKYO S3400,YAMAHA 292 OR 294 and even a Denon 1312 xp.

Do not opt for the Onkyo 3300 as it has a very clumsy subwoofer, where as the 3400 has a wooden good sub.

The Denon has a Active Sub, where as the Onkyo has passive.
My neighbor has Yamaha 292, honestly when compared to my Onkyo 3400, sounds too harsh on the ears, where as the Onkyo sounds very warm and nice.Also the Onkyo has a On Screen Setup, which really comes handy while trying to adjust settings. With a price tag around 25k i guess Onkyo's a good option. You might also want to check on Ebay for some offers.

3300 sub << 3400 sub? I thought they were EXACTLY the same except for that 1 extra HDMI input. And not just SQ wise, you are saying they differ material wise as well (3400 is wooden). This is new.

For an entry level HTiB, is the difference between active or passive sub noticeable? Like ak47 said that there isn't much difference between optical and HDMI output low-end HTs like the ones in discussion. Just wondering and trying to gather more from you guys.

oh yes, there is a huge difference between the subs of 3300 and 3400, this was also the reason y onkyo 3400 replaced 3300, according to onkyo store guys, there were some forums where people have reported that 3300 sub used to jump or reqd something heavy to be placed on top so that i will not jump and fall.

with regards to optical cable not supporting DTSMA - not sure entirely, becausei have connected a optical out from my Measy X5 media player to the onkyo receiver and i get DTS MA audio.

honestly i do not know if active and passive subs make a huge difference, especially since most of these HTIB's are entry level.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back