HTiB vs Separates - What should I go for within 30-35K?

RMCWS

Hello everyone,

My requirement and purpose of a Home Theater is for movies (50%) and music (50%). Sources for most of the movies will be USB/ HDD and will be using my HD STB for tv channels. I will be setting up the HT in my drawing room which is 210 sq ft. (i.e. 17x12 ft). I have a Sony 40" LED and currently I am using a local amp (really local and stupid) with 2 SONY SS H501G speakers which I got it with the Sony music system almost 14 years back.

Budget is around Rs.30,000/- (+-5K) Can increase a bit if there is finance option

Initially I wanted to go for Onkyo 3500, but few of the experienced members have suggested to go for separates, if the budget permits. Or to slowly build up the system one at a time, if budget is a constraint.

Promises Instruments, Kolkata have offered the price of Rs.33,000/- for Onkyo 3500 over telephone but they assured to offer some discount once I visit them. But I think the price of 3500 is around Rs.27,000 to Rs.28,000/- in most of the metro cities. I am yet to go there and experience the demo.

Today I went to Reliance Digital at Bansdroni, Kolkata. The Onkyo 3500 was out of stock and they couldn't tell me when I can expect it. The price at which they were offering it was Rs.28,000/-

However, the guy at the Reliance shop insisted me to check out the Poineer HT model HTP RS-30/32. It is a 5.1 with wood finish and active woofer. The price was Rs.37,000/- and they were offering a Samsung 3D blu ray player for additional Rs.3,000/- with this HT (they said the price of this blu ray player is Rs.8,000/-) with finance from Bajaj Finance. I demoed it but not very impressed with the sound quality but I guess its due to the kind of videos they were playing (They played some Bengali movie songs of Jeet LOL). But when I asked them to play some Blu ray movies, they played Transformer clippings and the sound quality and effect became more appealing.

I was also suggested by experienced FMs to opt for AVR like Denon 1312/ 1513 with separate speakers. I haven't checked them out too but I found that Denon DTH 1312BA is available for Rs.31,000/-.

Right now I am really confused as what to buy a good avr and couple speakers initially or just go for a HTiB? I don't want to stretch my budget beyond 35K right now. This is going to be my first HT and may be I will invest in another better one after 5-7 years which I have lit bit of extra money. :cool:

Please suggest.

even I demoed the pioneer speaker.. found it too loud...
I would prefer to go seperates.. that way you can add things as and when you want.. you can also look at used speaker / AvR.
saw one Jamo speaker set on olx..

I auditioned Pioneer speakers, it looks impressive and by the looks you will want room shaking sound, but when it played, it was a different story.

Initially, you could get an AVR and the fronts. Add the rears and sub after a while.

Check this out http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/42464-pioneer-ht-speakers.html

Say you get the above mentioned speakers and an AVR now. Save up an bit and buy better fronts after sometime and use the existing fronts as surrounds. Buy a center matching your new front speakers and junk the Pio center or use it as the 6th channel in a 6.1 setup. Later on, add a sub. This way, you'll end up with something MUCH better than generic HTiBs. Think this way: After this setup is complete, four years down the line when you get a more powerful AVR your existing speakers could be used.

Right now I am really confused as what to buy a good avr and couple speakers initially or just go for a HTiB? I don't want to stretch my budget beyond 35K right now. This is going to be my first HT and may be I will invest in another better one after 5-7 years which I have lit bit of extra money. :cool:

This is the right way IMO. Settle down with an AVR and couple of decent speakers. And slowly build from there on.

But if you want to make any purchase/upgrade only after 5-7 years than I would rather suggest you to go with a HTiB ... that is because in 5-7 years your AVR will get outdated and in any case you have to upgrade your AVR too.

So, if that is the case, then why not enjoy 5.1 from now on!?

Your requirement is movies (50%) and music (50%), then I would advice you to avoid HTib. Because they sound awful in HtiB. I have demoed Pioneer in Reliance Digital in Howrah but was not atall impressed with the sound. You can read my thread > http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/31764-onkyo-hts-3500-vs-denon-dht-1312-xp.html

I would advice you to slowly built HT system. First get 2 pair of good bookshelves. You can go to Profx in kolkata 16/2 Hindustan Road, Gariahat
Kolkata 700029 Tel: + 91 33 24669301/05. Audition Polk with Denon AVR.
You can also visit Harmony Audio, 13, Shyama Charan Smriti Tirtha Road, P.O. New Alipur (opposite Chirantani Club). Mr. Vasudeo Jagwani 983008504. He has Wharfedale 121 in stock. Its very good speaker. Choose the Front L/R and Centre then later you can add surrounds.

But if you do not wish to wait, then there is another option. You can order from hifimart (which is a part of hifivision) This package > Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 But you need to stretch your budget and spend 15k extra.

If you are only interested in HTib then look for Yamaha models > YHT-298 - Home Theater Packages - Yamaha - India They are very musical and good for HT also.

This is the right way IMO. Settle down with an AVR and couple of decent speakers. And slowly build from there on.

But if you want to make any purchase/upgrade only after 5-7 years than I would rather suggest you to go with a HTiB ... that is because in 5-7 years your AVR will get outdated and in any case you have to upgrade your AVR too.

So, if that is the case, then why not enjoy 5.1 from now on!?

Even I am also thinking of going separate now after all these valuable suggestions from the FMs. However, I am totally a novice and don't know if I will make a wise/ correct choice while making the individual purchase. And budget is a constraint too. Don't want to stretch beyond 35K right now irrespective of whether I go for a HTiB or just AVR + 2fronts.

Your requirement is movies (50%) and music (50%), then I would advice you to avoid HTib. Because they sound awful in HtiB. I have demoed Pioneer in Reliance Digital in Howrah but was not atall impressed with the sound. You can read my thread > http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/31764-onkyo-hts-3500-vs-denon-dht-1312-xp.html

I would advice you to slowly built HT system. First get 2 pair of good bookshelves. You can go to Profx in kolkata 16/2 Hindustan Road, Gariahat
Kolkata 700029 Tel: + 91 33 24669301/05. Audition Polk with Denon AVR.
You can also visit Harmony Audio, 13, Shyama Charan Smriti Tirtha Road, P.O. New Alipur (opposite Chirantani Club). Mr. Vasudeo Jagwani 983008504. He has Wharfedale 121 in stock. Its very good speaker. Choose the Front L/R and Centre then later you can add surrounds.

But if you do not wish to wait, then there is another option. You can order from hifimart (which is a part of hifivision) This package > Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 But you need to stretch your budget and spend 15k extra.

If you are only interested in HTib then look for Yamaha models > YHT-298 - Home Theater Packages - Yamaha - India They are very musical and good for HT also.

Even today I went to Avani Mall, Howrah (Kolkata) and once again demoed the Pioneer RS32. But it sounded a bit better than the last time (yesterday I had demoed it at Reliance Digital, Bansdroni).

There was a Pioneer HTP-071 for 21.5K on sale too but there was no other (I was looking for Onkyo). The guy also told me to come few days later so that I can also demo Yamaha 196 which will be sold for around 21K.

My next mission is to demo at Promises and ProFX and Harmony Audio by this weekend hopefully.

Hello everyone,

My requirement and purpose of a Home Theater is for movies (50%) and music (50%). Sources for most of the movies will be USB/ HDD and will be using my HD STB for tv channels. I will be setting up the HT in my drawing room which is 210 sq ft. (i.e. 17x12 ft). I have a Sony 40" LED and currently I am using a local amp (really local and stupid) with 2 SONY SS H501G speakers which I got it with the Sony music system almost 14 years back.

Budget is around Rs.30,000/- (+-5K) Can increase a bit if there is finance option

If your source is HD DTH & movies from USB HDD, think whether you need a new AVR with HDMI...Understand your constraint for budget.... Everybody has it & you are no exception.

For your usage, any AVR with Digital inputs can do the job... If you are open to used items, get an used AVR for 10K... Use 25K for buying speakers...

You could consider Sonodyne Sonus range of products the most affordable i could think (5.0 for 26K Approx).. Later when u have budget, get the subwoofer for 15K.. You are done :eek:hyeah:

If your source is HD DTH & movies from USB HDD, think whether you need a new AVR with HDMI...Understand your constraint for budget.... Everybody has it & you are no exception.

For your usage, any AVR with Digital inputs can do the job... If you are open to used items, get an used AVR for 10K... Use 25K for buying speakers...

You could consider Sonodyne Sonus range of products the most affordable i could think (5.0 for 26K Approx).. Later when u have budget, get the subwoofer for 15K.. You are done :eek:hyeah:

My primary source of movies would be from HDD/ USB. Why do I need a AVR with HDMI? Did you want to mean I need an AVR with USB port to connect the USB/ HDD? Most of the AVRs/ HTiB I have checked out have 4 HDMI ins and 1 OUT but not sure about USB support on AVR.

Right now I am pugging in my HDD directly to the TV through USB port and have connected with the TV with my existing amplifier which are connected with 2 sony speakers. Can I keep use this same method with the AVR or HTiB in case it does not have a direct USB? Will there be any qualitative differences? I really have no idea?

I have no issues with used item but I am afraid that I do not have the skills to pick up a 'right' pre used AVR.

Can you suggest me any AVR? I can right now spend around 30-35K for the set up (either separate or HTiB) say 20-25K for AVR and 10-15K for speakers. If I get a good option for AVR and speakers within 35K, I am ready to settle down with 2 fronts for the time being. Rear, SW etc. can be brought later.

I have a question too. I have a pair of SONY SS H501G speakers (2" tweeter and 5" woofer) which I got with my Sony music system long time back and I am still using them. My question is that can I use this pair of Sony speakers with the new AVR I am planning to purchase temporarily? Will it be good/ decent? Please give your advice.

Thanks...

My primary source of movies would be from HDD/ USB. Why do I need a AVR with HDMI? Did you want to mean I need an AVR with USB port to connect the USB/ HDD? Most of the AVRs/ HTiB I have checked out have 4 HDMI ins and 1 OUT but not sure about USB support on AVR.

Right now I am pugging in my HDD directly to the TV through USB port and have connected with the TV with my existing amplifier which are connected with 2 sony speakers. Can I keep use this same method with the AVR or HTiB in case it does not have a direct USB? Will there be any qualitative differences? I really have no idea?

I have no issues with used item but I am afraid that I do not have the skills to pick up a 'right' pre used AVR.

Can you suggest me any AVR? I can right now spend around 30-35K for the set up (either separate or HTiB) say 20-25K for AVR and 10-15K for speakers. If I get a good option for AVR and speakers within 35K, I am ready to settle down with 2 fronts for the time being. Rear, SW etc. can be brought later.

I have a question too. I have a pair of SONY SS H501G speakers (2" tweeter and 5" woofer) which I got with my Sony music system long time back and I am still using them. My question is that can I use this pair of Sony speakers with the new AVR I am planning to purchase temporarily? Will it be good/ decent? Please give your advice.

Thanks...

When i meant " Do you really need an HDMI on your AVR", i was referring to the files that you would be playing from HDD....

Most of the BD Rips contain DTS/DD (lossy) info which can be transmitted thru Digital Optical/Co-axial output.. You don't need an AVR with HDMI...

Also your HD DTH audio signals can be transmitted thru Digital Optical/Co-axial output..

If you plan to buy a new AVR with HDMI, it will eat 25K of your budget....

Since you were on a very tight budget, i recommended an used AVR without HDMI so you could spend the remaining money on speakers...

Choice is yours.. We would suggest/recommend the best for your budget...

Today I demoed Onkyo 3500 at the Promises Instruments, Kolkata.

I was not very impressed with the overall performance of the set may be due to the following reason:

1. The demo room was not upto the mark, it has an open entrance and even people working/ talking outside could be heard.

2. They did not have a bluray player so I did not get a chance to have a bluray experience with 3500. They used a DVD players.

3. They demoed me with a pirated DVD :D

However, the staff were very helpful and friendly and took their time and patience to explain all the details. I even used my pen drive to test the set (used some mp3 and mkv files) and attached my laptop with hdmi to the set.

Overall, I am not very satisfied with the performance of 3500 but may be because I demoed it with absolutely wrong source (only mp3 -196kbsp, couple of Bluray rip (Yifi) and a pirated DVD.)

The price quoted is Rs.27,990/- (but they informed me that the price is going to increase by 15-20% due to increase in exchange rate of $)

This set is coming well within my budget but I don't know somehow I am not really impressed. I have earlier demoed Pioneer RS32 this week and I found it better than 3500. May be because the demo room of Reliance digital where I demoed the Pioneer were more upto the mark and better built for a HT demo. What do you guys think...

I am now seriously thinking about going separate. May be will start with an AVR and centre...and slowly built it.

Yes, go for separates, have you visited Profx in Hindustan Park? They are the dealers for Polk. Here is the website : Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions
I demoed Onkyo with original DVD, did not find satisfying. But you can also visit
77B, KARAYA ROAD
KOLKATA - WEST BENGAL
Tel +91- 33- 22903061 / +91- 9831019505 for Yamaha. If you go for separates then I suggest you to demo Yamaha RX-V373 AVR.

I would suggest to go the htib way. You will save money and you get a more cohesive setup with speakers and amp tuned to each other.
Seperates is a tough task. You need to audition which amps bring out the best in which speakers. Which amp-speaker setup will seamlessly work as a truly integrated system.
Another option could be an amp and a 5.1 speaker package.

Yes, go for separates, have you visited Profx in Hindustan Park? They are the dealers for Polk. Here is the website : Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions
I demoed Onkyo with original DVD, did not find satisfying. But you can also visit
77B, KARAYA ROAD
KOLKATA - WEST BENGAL
Tel +91- 33- 22903061 / +91- 9831019505 for Yamaha. If you go for separates then I suggest you to demo Yamaha RX-V373 AVR.

Haven't yet got the time to Visit Profx at Hindustan park. Will do it most probably this weekend. And also to Harmony Audio at New Alipore.

By the way, what is the name of the shop at Karya Road?

And Yamaha RX-V373 AV looks like within budget i.e. Rs.27,500/- in homeshop18.

Name of the shop is Impressia Imaging Pvt Ltd in KARAYA ROAD. But you must visit Harmony Audio at New Alipore. I bought from Mr. Vasudeo. He is very cordial and has 2 excellent audiophile demo rooms.

Name of the shop is Impressia Imaging Pvt Ltd in KARAYA ROAD. But you must visit Harmony Audio at New Alipore. I bought from Mr. Vasudeo. He is very cordial and has 2 excellent audiophile demo rooms.

Thanks Rupam for the name as well as your valuable suggestions. Now I have almost decided to go for separates. :clapping:

Considering the size of my room of 210 sq ft (17x12) with the distance of TV and the sofa being 12' and obviously my budget of max Rs.35,000/- for the time being, I have decided to go for the following.

I will be buying a AVR + Centre.
Choices for AVR : (not in any order though)

1.Denon 1312 - what is the price of this? (1312XP HTiB is available for around Rs.31,000/-)

2. Denon 1513 - Price is Rs.26,900/- on profx.com (but as per denon.com this model 1513 is no longer manufactured and have been replaced by AVR E200)- Can anybody clarify?

3. Yamaha RX-V373 AV - Rs.27,500 on Homeshop18.com

With the AVR, I really want to add Floorstandings next time. So would like to know whether these AVR will be powerful enough to support FS speakers like Sonodyne Sonus 2504 or 2605 or anything of that range?

For the time being I have decided to start with the centre speakers and for that I have the following in mind:

1. Sonodyne Sonus C2401 - Rs.6,450/-

2. Wharfedale WH2 - Rs.6,500/-

I have decided on few of them depending on suggestions and reviews but haven't demoed any of them. But I will so do that. However, I would like the experienced FMs to help me select the best option from the above AVR and centres or anything else which they have in their mind. Just remember my overall budget is Rs.35,000/- (For AVR 25-30K and for centre 5-10K)

I am also planning to use my existing 14 years sony speakers SS H501 which has a 2" tweeter and 4" woofer on a temporary basis for fronts unless I get a good one. My question is that, can I use this speaker with the AVR I am going to purchase or is this speaker is really obsolete to use with any modern AVR?:sad:

Waiting for your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance :)

get wharfedale dismond 9 centre..is much better..
also hear polk rti centre with denon avr..u will like it for cinema..
and rupam is right..must visit harmony,mr vasu is very nice person and very helpful and he do have international grade demo rooms

no
1312 oe 1513 will not be powerfull enough to juice up fs.

speakers are never obsolete..and will never be..i know many people playing their 20 yesrs old speakers..and frankly the quality of them we cannot find these days

just check the ohms..and watttage

Last edited:
get wharfedale dismond 9 centre..is much better..
also hear polk rti centre with denon avr..u will like it for cinema..
Wharfedale Diamond 9 is around Rs.9,900 on hifimart. But the price of Polk Rti Centre is starting from 16K I guess which is lot above my budget.

no
1312 oe 1513 will not be powerfull enough to juice up fs.
Is Denon AVR 1612 is powerful enough to juice up the FS? It is available for Rs.26,900/- in Profx and is manageable within my budget. And how about Yamaha RX-V373 AV for adding FS later? It is around Rs.27,500/- How is the after sales service for Yamaha? Any idea...

Thanks.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back