HTPC Build

neelesh

Hi,

The motherboard on my Popcorn C-200 packed up recently. Have decided to build a HTPC rather than importing an A410 for ~25k. The PCH support sucks and anyways I don't intend getting a new PCH motherboard
Will cannibalize the HDD bay on the C-200 for use in the HTPC
Below is the configuration that I have in mind.
Its a no holds barred overkill build, although I will be using it mainly for bitstreaming FLAC/DTS HD-MA and watching ~ 20gb mkv movies.
Planning to procure the CPU cooler/Case Fans/Memory and SSD from the US thru a cousin.
The cabinet thru eBay Global and the CPU/MoBo and PSU locally

Cabinet
Silverstone Tek Grandia Series Aluminum HTPC for ATX/SSI-CEB Computer Case GD09B

CPU
Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad-Core 3.3GHz LGA 1150 84W

MoBo
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H H97 Motherboard
MSI H97M-G43 LGA 1150 Motherboard
(The Cabinet can accomodate an ATX board and am keen on the Gigibyte. However it doesn't have a SPDIF Toslink/Coaxial output port on the rear. It does have a S/PDIF out header on the board. However not able to find a decent S/PDIF out plate. Hence might settle for the MSI Micro ATX which has all the output ports as the Gigabyte plus the S/PDIF Optical)

CPU Fan
Noctua Low-Profile Quiet CPU Cooler for Intel 115x Based Retail Cooling NH-L9I

Memory
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00

Case Fans
Noctua (NF-P12 PWM) - 120mm Two Speed Premium Fan, 1300/900 RPM, SSO2 Bearing with NE-FD1 PWM- 3pk

Power Supply
Corsair CS Series Modular CS450M 450W 80+ Gold

SSD
Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT256MX100SSD1

The choice of components is inspired from the techbuyersguru.com page HTPC build.
Total cost will add upto ~55k

Planning to use Open ELEC and XBMC (Kodi) as the interface

Am open to ideas/suggestions from the HTPC Gurus on our forum to improvise on this proposed build

Cheers!

Any specific reason for the overkill ? An AMD E350 + 4GB RAM + A pen drive should be able to achieve what you're trying to do now at just 7K rupees. Maybe you can park that extra money saved on something like a NAS with RAID for all your media. Just a thought since I don't see a return on investment for the extra money spent. But if you plan to use it for gaming / making it "future-proof" the overkill does some sense.

Any specific reason for the overkill ? An AMD E350 + 4GB RAM + A pen drive should be able to achieve what you're trying to do now at just 7K rupees. Maybe you can park that extra money saved on something like a NAS with RAID for all your media. Just a thought since I don't see a return on investment for the extra money spent. But if you plan to use it for gaming / making it "future-proof" the overkill does some sense.

Absolutely agree, the config is a overkill for just htpc. A few more questions, what is the majority of movie files you have HD or SD? Probably if I were you I would spend 20K on htpc and remaining on a DAC or even a Oppo BDP. Also unless you will do gaming I thin i5s are a lot cooler and will not require additional case fans as long as you do not have a big heat dissipating source inside the cabinet like a dedicated GPU.

^ Even then its an over kill ..... the config is not over kill .....but super over kill .. .:D ... A celeron Dual Core NUC for 15K can act as full blown HTPC on XBMC.

Thankyou all for the response.
I know that this configuration is an overkill, however didn't expect it be labelled as a super overkill:D
Not that I am flush with funds to blow away, but always like to have headroom in any project I do for myself.

@mod-the-pc
Thanks for the advice on the NAS. Making it future proof, obviously yes. Not played any games on a computer ever since the days of an XT machine. Still remember Pacman and Prince of Persia. However that possibility isn't ignored

@haisaikat /Nishant06
Most of my movie content is HD. So not looking at upscaling.
Already own an Emotiva XDA1 and Pioneer LX55 BDP

@sam9s
Hadn't heard about the NUC till I read your post. Did the reading today afternoon. Anyways you're the one who got me thinking the HTPC way:)
The idea hit me only after reading your post

Would like to know more about what else can this configuration possibly do if I go ahead and set itup using an i3 and not i5

Cheers!!

Thankyou all for the response.
I know that this configuration is an overkill, however didn't expect it be labelled as a super overkill:D

@sam9s
Hadn't heard about the NUC till I read your post. Did the reading today afternoon. Anyways you're the one who got me thinking the HTPC way:)
The idea hit me only after reading your post

Would like to know more about what else can this configuration possibly do if I go ahead and set itup using an i3 and not i5

Cheers!!

My 7-8 year old 1.8 Ghz C2D with GT440 can play evey damm single file thrown at it including full 3D ISO with super ease, so yes an i3/i5 does seem a super over kill....:)

What else can you do with i3? Well anything that a decent computer can do, all administrative tasks, and if you put a decent GPU play games. Make is a file server, NAS, what not .... but just for a dedicated HTPC you will be wasting all your resources, including money.

Not that I am flush with funds to blow away, but always like to have headroom in any project I do for myself.

My sentiments exactly...

Another course of action you can consider is checking out AMD/AMD with APU both for better performance and price to performance ratio. I have an i7 and all said and done it costs nearly twice the AMD that actually beats it or at least is on par (depending on which CPU benchmark site you listen to).

PS - That said I personally don't use AMD and probably never will. All of my systems run on Intel and I even prefer Intel Mobos, but it makes sense at least considering/checking out AMD for the benefits of getting lots of headroom at a fraction of what Intel costs.

Hi guys,
I am amateur in this building HTPC but i want to build one for my home theater.
can you guys tell me what configuration should i use and it will be great if you could give links to the item.
My budget is around 15k can exceed it if its worth.
thanks in advance.

I recently built one with these configuration.

Combo Motherboard - Gigabyte GA E350N - Rs. 4567
DDR 3 2GB Ram Strontium - Rs1470
WD 2 GB HDD - Rs. 5197
PowerOn Cabinet with 450w SMPS - Rs.1050.
Total damage: Rs,12284.

Check this link for more details. And also browse this section, you will find lots of info.

I recently built one with these configuration.

Combo Motherboard - Gigabyte GA E350N - Rs. 4567
DDR 3 2GB Ram Strontium - Rs1470
WD 2 GB HDD - Rs. 5197
PowerOn Cabinet with 450w SMPS - Rs.1050.
Total damage: Rs,12284.

Check this link for more details. And also browse this section, you will find lots of info.

its better to opt for a quality power supply and a quality case specially when building a htpc setup

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back