HTPC cum normalPC

asim86

hello everyone,

I am in the process of assembling my first HTPC. But thing is I would like to use the PC for dual purpose- HTPC as well as normal PC. Below are my tentative config:

Processor: AMD 4 GHz AM3+ FX-4300 FX-Series Four-Core Edition FD4300WMHKBOX Processor
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)
Keyboard & mouse: Dell KM113 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo
HDD: Seagate 2TB Desktop Internal Sata Drive (ST2000DM001)
Monitor: LG 18.5 inch LED Monitor (19EN33S)
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
Cabinet: COOLER MASTER Mini 210 Slim microATX MIN-210-KKR300 Cabinet

1. Now I am confused whether I will require to install separate cooler( Corsair AF120 120 mm Cooler ) and a SMPS ( Corsair VS 550 SMPS ). I know SMPS is installed in the cabinet but is it good enough? I am not game-savy, but will use it mainly for music,movie and normal PC operations.

2. I was reading reviews of XBMC/openelec. I am interested in installing it but whether I will have the ease and flexibility of switching to Windows 7 or 8 OS ??

3. I chose that cabinet for space management.

4. Currently I own a Bose Companion 20 computer speakers, yeah I know many in this forum will rebuke me for that, but I chose this product for space constraint and also SQ is decent enough for my ears. Guys don't deviate to BOSE topic. I will use these speakers with the setup.

5. I have 32 inch Sony Full HD LED which i will connect with my PC for movies.

Off course I welcome suggestions. Since space is my main constraint so want to keep it as simple as possible but upgradable . Am I overdoing my configs? :) :D

Last edited:
1. Now I am confused whether I will require to install separate cooler( Corsair AF120 120 mm Cooler ) and a SMPS ( Corsair VS 550 SMPS ). I know SMPS is installed in the cabinet but is it good enough? I am not game-savy, but will use it mainly for music,movie and normal PC operations. - Extra fan will not hurt.

2. I was reading reviews of XBMC/openelec. I am interested in installing it but whether I will have the ease and flexibility of switching to Windows 7 or 8 OS ?? Ultimate fun would be to have them running in respective VMs. But multi-boot would do too

1. Now I am confused whether I will require to install separate cooler( Corsair AF120 120 mm Cooler ) and a SMPS ( Corsair VS 550 SMPS ). I know SMPS is installed in the cabinet but is it good enough? I am not game-savy, but will use it mainly for music,movie and normal PC operations.

If you are not taxing your CPU, extra cooler is not required, just using it as an HTPC and casual computing is not taxing your CPU so you would not require a separate Cooler.

SMPS, yes I would prefer a quality SMPS as good power supply makes or might break a system, an SMPS usually is the most neglected component in a computer system, but trust me if you want your components life get a decent SMPS.

2. I was reading reviews of XBMC/openelec. I am interested in installing it but whether I will have the ease and flexibility of switching to Windows 7 or 8 OS ??

XBMC has various versions,(Linux based, windows based, 3rd part distros) windows based will be installed on windows itself, so once you are in XBMC to switch you either have to quite and come back to windows or alt tab it and let it run in the background. There are other ways as well depending on how you have chosen to install XBMC

OpenELEC is a stand along XBMC client and is linux based, so if you want to use windows along with OpenELEC, you have to configure your system as Dual Boot.

4. Currently I own a Bose Companion 20 computer speakers, yeah I know many in this forum will rebuke me for that, but I chose this product for space constraint and also SQ is decent enough for my ears. Guys don't deviate to BOSE topic. I will use these speakers with the setup.

You can continue using you Bose no inssues in that ... :D

5. I have 32 inch Sony Full HD LED which i will connect with my PC for movies.

Cool I do not see any issue in that.

Just to add to the second point. U can boot and run openelec variant from just a usb stick. So while ur comp loads windows 7/8 when booting on its own, will run xbmc only when booted with the openelec pen drive inserted.

I use the same cabinet however, with a different configuration (Intel based).

I use the default SMPS which I feel is good enough for my requirements.

One suggestion, do you really need the 19 inch screen, cant you just use the TV as the screen? Might save some real estate.

I use openelec through a USB drive and you can use the seagate for windows and configure the dual boot. I use a 8gb flash drive but even ran it with a 1 gb (not recommended) for a month.

Is there any hearting probs with the microatx cabinet??? Am I correct when I say that I can use XBMC simultaneously with Windows 7 ???

Is there any hearting probs with the microatx cabinet??? Am I correct when I say that I can use XBMC simultaneously with Windows 7 ???

In win7 you can use XBMC just like any other software (windows media player, vlc player, solitaire etc).

MicroATX cannot cause any heat issue. Just invest on a reliable decent SMPS like other FMs mentioned.

If you are not taxing your CPU, extra cooler is not required, just using it as an HTPC and casual computing is not taxing your CPU so you would not require a separate Cooler.

Sam9s, in your experience, is a fan not required even for a 95W TDP CPU such as this one?

areeee .... I did not say fan is not required..,,,seems like my statement has been misunderstood ...... I mean you dont need a separate bigger cooler, the stock CPU cooler thats comes with the CPU would do.

You definitely WILL require to install the stock fan that comes with CPU, else you will fry the CPU ...:)

Hope this makes things clear ....

Last edited:
So I would uninstall the smps along with the cabinet nd install a better smps nd cooler.....am I correct?

One suggestion, do you really need the 19 inch screen, cant you just use the TV as the screen? Might save some real estate.

I use openelec through a USB drive and you can use the seagate for windows and configure the dual boot. I use a 8gb flash drive but even ran it with a 1 gb (not recommended) for a month.

I will use the monitor for normal pc. So didnt rule out the monitor.

If you want a real quite CPU and decent audio invest in a good SMPS. It really helps.
I will recommend using a solid state 64 GB drive for OS. This is one investment which will increase speed more than anything else and will reduce hard dusk noise as well.
Regarding CPU AMD are good VFM but I have had issues with them they generally require more heat dissipation and are power hungry than comparable Intel CPU . A small increase in price but more stable system.

MB any will do with a decent FSB and expansion abilities.

Your feeling is not right. Get a good SMPS before it takes your entire PC down!

SMPS is always taken lightly by most of people unless they learn the hard way .....
@Sud get a decent power supply, specially if at all you have an irregular power ......

A decent power supply is very important. The worst ones produce actual audible noise, let alone whatever may be going on in the electromagnetic worlds.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back