HTPC Vs Digital Media Player

kpit

Hi guys,

I am currently in a confused state.
I could not decide between the options - whether to upgrade my PC as HTPC or to buy a digital Media player like Xtreamer or any from WD.

My PC configuration is below:
P5GL-MX with Intel 915GL chipset inside is an all-in-one solution for LGA 775 Intel Pentium 4 CPU. It provides 800 MHz FSB, PCI Express architecture, Serial ATA interface, high performance integrated graphics engine, dual-channel DDR memory, 6-channel HD Audio CODEC and 10/100 LAN. It especially supports Intel EM64T and EIST technology, which provides you a 64-bit environment and an energy saving solution. P5GL-MX is the most rewarding 775 solution in 2005 with Intel 915GL chipset inside.

As an upgrade option I am thinking of the below parts:
Processor - AMD 965 Quad Black Edition (as one of the friend in this forum suggested)
Motherboard - Anything compatible (I am not sure of any specific, suggestions are welcome)
Grafix card - ATI HD 5670
PSU - not sure (currently I have a PSU of Priya with 400W)

After reading through HTPC and Digital Media players reviews, I could not make out what is the difference between these.
I wanted to know for the HD picture, audio clarity and performance aspects, which one would give the best for us.

I would like to hear any suggestions based on your experience and knowledge.

If you can afford media center edition of windows then go for htpc
if you are linux geek who can setup you box to stream wireless media, act as a UPnP and NAS server , patch and setup latest Xorg drivers etc then go for htpc
Edit: If you can afford the Xonar Essence with HDAV card or equivalent then go for htpc
In all other cases go for an off the shelf product.

Edit: Let me know if you require a flowchart :)

Regards

Last edited:
Hi...both the options have their own S&Ws...

If you are the only user of your system...then go ahead with a full blown HTPC..nothing can substitute it...

and If you have people who are not geeky...then go ahead with WD or XMT...with minimal practice people @home can use it...that way your whole family will enjoy the setup.

2 cents

Venkat

kpit - there are basically three routes open before you:

1) HTPC
2) Networked Media Tank [Popcorn Hour, Digitech HDX 1000 etc.]
3) Media player (streamer) [Xtreamer, WDTV Live etc.]

The HTPC - it goes without saying - is the most versatile and most powerful solution. It is also the geekiest solution requiring more effort and maintenance. Plus it is the most costly. I would say the HTPC route is worth going if you are really focused on music. If it is for movies and if you already have an AV Receiver then any one of the other two solutions are the way to go forward.

Whether you want an NMT (Networked Media Tank) or a Media streamer depends on your requirements. Do you want your Media player to also act as a NAS, host web applications, download torrents etc.? Then you have to think NMT. Or do you just want for your media player to play all sorts of files? In that case a media player will suffice.

The interesting thing is that a few media players also cater to a few NMT requirements. The balance is delicate and this is always horses for courses. Read subjective! :)

If you can afford media center edition of windows then go for htpc
if you are linux geek who can setup you box to stream wireless media, act as a UPnP and NAS server , patch and setup latest Xorg drivers etc then go for htpc
Edit: If you can afford the Xonar Essence with HDAV card or equivalent then go for htpc
In all other cases go for an off the shelf product.

Edit: Let me know if you require a flowchart :)

Regards

Do you have any idea how much the upgrade would cost me...
and do you have any suggestions for that upgrade that I can go for (I have given my current PC configuration in the above post)..

I would like to know What all parts I have to upgrade and how much each would cost me.. so that I will plan for it...

I have a related question :

Is there a Digital Media Player with HDMI+Optical Out+5.1 Analogue Out (and if possible eSATA and wifi too)?

You can have Western Digital media player which supports all file formats including latest .mkv and other formats. Connecting this to TV and watching movies are as simple as browsing channels provided if the firmware is intuitive

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back