HTPC with CAD capabilities - Need help

rahul18348

Hello Everybody! This is my first post on this forum. I am looking to build a HTPC setup which will serve the following specific requirements:

• Should capable of playing 1080p movies flawlessly.
  • Should be capable of handling AutoCAD 2009 & Photoshop CS3 running together (stuck with Windows 7 because of AutoCAD otherwise Ubuntu would have been my choice of OS).
  • The obvious ones (browsing, word processing, youtube, torrent downloads) etc.
  • Screen should be clearly visible from a distance of 8-10 feet and can be controlled by wireless keyboard/mouse from the same distance.
  • No gaming.
  • Should be able to play & record Tata Sky or Videocon D2H.
  • Power consumption should be as low as possible because this will be my entertainment center in addition to being my primary workstation.
  • Total cost including display (TV/Monitor) shall not exceed 80k (the lesser the better).
  • This setup will be there for 5yrs (or even more).
  • Should have external Bluetooth.

Ive been searching the net for components that suit my requirements & this is what I think can do the job.

Inverter APS ES 650VA.
Cabinet iball i7299.
SMPS iball Sprinter 500W.
Motherboard Asus P7H55D-M EVO.
Processor Intel Core i5 660 3.33GHz.
RAM OCZ 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz Gold Edition RAM.
Hard Disk
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EARS,
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB WD10EARS.
Graphic Card ATI Radeon HD 4890 (if required).
Display BenQ M2700 HD.
TV tuner Card One that is compatible with the above mentioned DTH services providers. All suggestions are welcome.
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - Logitech Wireless Desktop MK700.
External Bluetooth - All suggestions are welcome.

Any ideas about how much this setup would cost? I've gone with 2 hard drives so that all my data can rest on one hard drive while the OS & application runs on the other one. Also would like to if this is a good enough configuration for my kind of requirements. Thanks.

have a dual display setup .btw do you have lcd or plasma?
my idea is a big LCD ( i heard plasma is no good of working) and small lcd ( maybe 16-16 inch) near you..lcd's are now in the region of 5000 Rs

also no audio hadware?

BTW what other entertainment/PC hardware and AVR you have? maybe it can be nicely integrated in this setup..like old monitors can be used for closer usage,old Sata hDDS can be used etc. also this motherboard has optical co axial out - inresting ..naybe you can use older AVR and speaker set and avoid PC speakers

i would still advice seperates

for Ht use get a POHD - connect to LCD via AVR etc

for your CAD use get a differnt PC with 17-19 inch screen

its just easier to use like this - and especially for a 5 year thing you need not worry about future proofing etc

Right go for separates. The CPU hdd system load your CAD activities will place will interfere in pristine audio playback.

You want a sports car performance in a diesel van . Hmm

If you need a workstation buy a standalone workstation and if you need a HTPC buy that seperately .

For a HTPC even an atom processor with an ION chipset is very capable .

For a workstation buy a good quad core processor with 6 gb min and for HDD try to go in for a SAS HDD for boot up and SAS HDD for a scratch drive . It would make a hell of a difference . Even a top line processor like the i7 without a SAS 15,000RPM hdd is useless .

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back