HTR 2064/ YHT 196 how to play dolby digital 5.1

aaryan.varun

i have a couple of movies with dolby digital 5.1 audio.
samsung blu ray player BDF5500 decodes all dolby formats.
yamaha receiver only decodes DD5.1 and DTS DS.
To play the 5.1 audio with onboard decoding with respect to the blu ray player, i need to switch the settings to PCM, this will play 5.1 audio on my home theater.

To play the 5.1 audio with onboard decoding with respect to the receiver, what all do i need to do? yht 196 users are requested to reply :)

please point out, where am i wrong in the settings?

I think you need to set to bitstream on your blu-ray player so that the Yamaha receiver will decode the audio that it receives. If it receives in the compatible format then it plays it or else I think it will default play in PCM but still you can get in 5.1 audio.

You need to set the blu-ray player to send dd and dts audio as bitstream or raw instead of lpcm. See the bdp audio settings for bitstreaming option.

Pls correct me.
I thought that when we bitstream from bdp what you are asking the amp is to decode right?
I think one has to use the analogue outputs of the bdp to the 196.
One can try the "straight" and "straight enhanced" modes in the 196 to see if bdp decodes the dolby TruHD and sends the decoded output.

this for everybody who replied, first of all thanks alot :)
now coming to the point.

i played this
ID : 3
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 2h 11mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 221 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 268 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 83ms
Stream size : 208 MiB (9%)
Language : English

is this dolby digital 5.1?

i selected the option of bitstream(re-encode DD) and bistream(unprocessed) as well
tried both of these options
switched the yamaha yht196 to straight(switched off any DSP programs)
played the above file from blu ray player...according to many people using yamaha receivers
they say when file bitstreamed, the receiver display shows the format played(e.g. dolby digital/DTS) but when i played this file nothing happened..
i couldnt make a difference b/w the audios

AAC 5.1 won't be decoded neither by BDP or AVR, i guess.
Test with a movie having AC3 5.1.

have converted the above audio to AC-3:

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 2h 11mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 320 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Delay relative to video : 1mn 5s
Stream size : 301 MiB (13%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

will try to play this...
please can anybody instruct on what modes to be selected in the blu ray player and the YHT196?
help would be appreciated :)

AAC 5.1 won't be decoded neither by BDP or AVR, i guess.
Test with a movie having AC3 5.1.
Partially wrong,some of BDp like mine can decode AAC.I set BDp as Bitstream & when AAC file comes,it automatically sends PCM 5.1.Ultimately I get true surround sound.

Partially wrong,some of BDp like mine can decode AAC.I set BDp as Bitstream & when AAC file comes,it automatically sends PCM 5.1.Ultimately I get true surround sound.

Spiro I also have the same Toshiba blu-ray player but from Germany. So as per you this player supports AAC5.1 then its good news as I never tried as I was thinking that there are very less sources which actually support this apple audio format.

Good to know...

Thanks

spiro i guess you are wrong at this.
when you set the bdp at the bitstream mode it should not do onboard decoding and send unprocessed audio to the A/V receiver and according to the capability of the receiver it'll decode the audio and display what kind of audio format is being played.
PCM is used to enable onboard encoding on the BDP.
please correct me if i am wrong.

So what I believed is right. Bitstream means that the avr has to decode either the lossy or lossless formats.

Spiro I also have the same Toshiba blu-ray player but from Germany. So as per you this player supports AAC5.1 then its good news as I never tried as I was thinking that there are very less sources which actually support this apple audio format.

Good to know...

Thanks
Yes it can.I read that before I bout it.now not finding the link.Still I have Transporter with aac 5.1 & you can see in image it can play it with ease.I get surround perfectly.Also played some HarryPotter aac file in past,no issues.

So what I believed is right. Bitstream means that the avr has to decode either the lossy or lossless formats.
Its not always.When AVR can't decode certain formats,player decodes it & send it as PCM even selected as Bitstream.Like I said aac5.1.

spiro you are correct at this.
but in my case, last night i converted the audio of the movie to ac3 5.1 from aac 5.1
earlier i played the movie from the player,and it showed the audio to be 2ch stereo. so i had to use the enhancers in the receiver to get the virtual 5.1 audio
then after conversion i played it on the player using bitstream, checked the audio format using the player and it showed 5.1 ch dolby digital and i switched the receiver to the STRAIGHT mode so that it would play the received data, decode it and play the DD 5.1 audio, after switching it onto STRAIGHT mode i could even see on the display that all the 6 speakers were in action(FR,FL,SR,SL,C,SWFR) and i was like :yahoo:
but ironically i could not hear any sound from the rear speakers :| though it showed that the rear speakers were playing the audio. I dont know what wrong with it :|
now ive got a movie with AC3 6 channels(5.1) now lets hope when i get home i am able to get the 5.1 audio :indifferent14:

now plz ppl tell me whether il be able to play and listen this as a 5.1 audio? will i get the surround sound?
see the specs of the file
:General
Unique ID : 226194788781216050562057325753108302281 (0xAA2B881D58FD01422A4A9193934889C9)
Complete name : D:\Terminator Salvation (2009) Directors Cut 1080p x264 EN NL SP Subs [Asian Planet]\Terminator Salvation 2009 1080p x264.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 1.82 GiB
Duration : 1h 57mn
Overall bit rate : 2 212 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf52.94.0
Writing library : Lavf52.94.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 1 697 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.046
Stream size : 1.36 GiB (75%)

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 512 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 430 MiB (23%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No

You should get 5.1 as the audio is AC3 6 channels. One think to note is that you should not expect sound from rear speakers always. Rear channel sound depends on the movie situation. You can slightly increase the rear channel volume though to get some boost.

^^ Right! Rear speakers are not always active. In a movie like Star War, all the 6 speakers are very active, otherwise they are not, even with the same settings. I think movement of sound in the front also indicates that the 5.1 surround is working.

Hi all,

I am planning to buy Yamaha YHT 196 but i have one confusion. My Tv (sharp LED) has no optical out or coaxial out , but i want the TV sound to play through HTS. Although i have an Analog out (RCA), which i can connect to Analog input of AVR. But i am confused if it will work or not ? and if it does, then its this AVR capable to converting stereo output to surround sound ?

Please help as its the only thing stopping me from buying this

Hi all,

I am planning to buy Yamaha YHT 196 but i have one confusion. My Tv (sharp LED) has no optical out or coaxial out , but i want the TV sound to play through HTS. Although i have an Analog out (RCA), which i can connect to Analog input of AVR. But i am confused if it will work or not ? and if it does, then its this AVR capable to converting stereo output to surround sound ?

Please help as its the only thing stopping me from buying this
If original TV sound is Stereo only & not 5.1,you can connect to Rt & Lt to Yamaha directly.You have to use DSP to get surround,but it will not be true one.If you get HD set top box,You can get real surround with HD movies.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back