human voice in tweeter output

Amateur_Audiophile

I was in process building a 3-way speaker with active sub woofer.
i was also trying to make my own crossover and i got audio grade capacitors and i have some inductors lying from crossovers built by Bolton and i made my own inductors as well.
I created crossover design following below link
ERSE - Crossover Calculator - Second Order 3 Way
Linkwitz-Riley with a cutoff point at 3000hz for tweeter.
i connected the capacitor and tried both the inductors (one made by bolton, rating unknown, one made by me .42mh) and in both the case i was hearing human voice from tweeter ,which i was not expecting.
can gurus help me, if my understanding is wrong and more work is needed on crossover.
the tweeter i am using is peerless make @ Peerless - 26mm Silk Dome Tweeter - TL26SG

Thanks
Manoj

Human voice will have frequency components above 3kHz.

Our ears are most sensitive in the 3-5kHz range, and that's where most of the shrieks, screams and annoying high pitch sounds lie. No wonder that human voice is reproduced by tweeters too.

I am not a guru, just trying to help you out.

First we need to understand the set-up during experiment.

As per my understanding, during your experiment you have disconnected the Woofer and Midrange from Network and only Tweeter is connected. Thereafter you have played some music and you are getting Vocal from Tweeter.

Now try this, in place of Midrange and woofer place some equivalent resistance [say 8 ohms, 10 watts, non Inductive] and then repeat the experiment and let us know, whether it makes any difference.

In my view, in absence of dummy load [resistance] Midrange frequencies are getting pushed into the tweeter, which is harmful for tweeter particularly if you are using a first order filter.

Any way Vocal Frequenies with a Fundamental of 80 to 300 Hz, extends up to at least 6000Hz with all its harmonics an overtones. Therefore vocal frequencies with low energy should be there in Tweeter frequencies.

Second factor which is to be considered is the network, 1st order ? 2nd order?

Regards,

correct, i only connected the tweeter and there was no other load on the amp, amp is DENON make with 60W@8ohms.
the crossover is 2nd order.
i will try the experiment connecting all speakers.

correct, i only connected the tweeter and there was no other load on the amp, amp is DENON make with 60W@8ohms.
the crossover is 2nd order.
i will try the experiment connecting all speakers.

Instead of Mid range Speaker and Woofer, connect 8 ohms resistance in place of them.
If you connect all the speakers, the sound radiating from midrange can easily confuse the listener.

if my understanding of psychoacoustics is correct, the brain can reconstuct/extrapolate the fundamental even if it hears only the harmonics. So perhaps that might be what you're hearing

With 3000 Hz cutoff to the tweeter, you will hear human voice in both tweeter and midrange drivers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back