Humming Noise Issue from my Deck

jay

Hi,

I am facing this peculiar problem from my Deck.Its giving a HUM sound the moment any of the kets is pressed and at times its less but keeps fluctuating.

My otehr setups like Turntable,Amp and CD player has no issues as the sound is not coming from them.

So how do I get rid off this?Can you please help?

Two things come to my mind. Check for earthing ... and/or change the power caps inside.

Thanks Koushik.
If there would have been a problem with the earthing then my amp and turntable would have also given the humming sound.Isn't it?

What do you mean by power caps? If you are mentioning the power chord its a continuous one from the deck itself and its fixed.

Please suggest.

Not necessarily. Some equipment may be more vulnerable to bad earthing than other. Just check touching a exposed metal surface in your deck by finger standing bare footed on the floor. This should give you the idea.

Power caps aka capacitors are power filter capacitors on the circuit board inside. Check with local technician as you seems not very experienced with these things.

Not necessarily. Some equipment may be more vulnerable to bad earthing than other. Just check touching a exposed metal surface in your deck by finger standing bare footed on the floor. This should give you the idea.

Do you mean to say standing barefooted and touching will give me the shock which will prove that there is an earthing problem?Please confirm.

Do you mean to say standing barefooted and touching will give me the shock which will prove that there is an earthing problem?Please confirm.

Common Jay, one can't suggest you things like that which can be hazardous . I meant that Touching will provide earthing and if that reduces the humming will confirm that this is an earthing issue.

Anyway, now I really think you should consult a technician instead of trying yourself.

Common Jay, one can't suggest you things like that which can be hazardous . I meant that Touching will provide earthing and if that reduces the humming will confirm that this is an earthing issue.

Anyway, now I really think you should consult a technician instead of trying yourself.

Ok ok.I understood now.
So you mean to say if its an earthing issue then touching the metalic part barefooted will minimise/stop it.Am I correct?

Please note this is happening with my Sonodyne SCR2065 Ampli Deck which I fixed to my system yesterday only.Is it anything to do with the Amplifier in the Deck?

I am not using the Ampli of this Deck as I am listening the deck through Line Out through my Yamaha Amp.

Last edited:
2065 ampli-deck is very old equipment. I had one in mid 90s bought from used market. This can cause due multiple factors like the power capacitors as I said earlier, then it can be transformer noise or anything. Try to play music using the 2065 amply directly. See if the humming noise is still there.

2065 ampli-deck is very old equipment. I had one in mid 90s bought from used market. This can cause due multiple factors like the power capacitors as I said earlier, then it can be transformer noise or anything. Try to play music using the 2065 amply directly. See if the humming noise is still there.

Thanks for your suggestion.The trouble is I have one pair of speakers which is already connected at the back of Yamaha Amp.Now opening that and fixing it with 2065 ampli-deck back is a tidious job.But will try to do that.

Suppose if i disconnect the Yamaha Amp from the Deck and listen the audio directly from deck through headphones,will it serve the purpose of checking whether the hum is there or not?

Hmm that means the problem is in the ckt in the preamp section or the power supply section.

So you mean to say the problem lies in the Deck itself,more specificaly in the preamp or power supply section?

It could be ground loop Hum. Try google and see if any of those remedies help you.

Yes as it seems like from here. Although I am far from being a technician.

So I need to check with the mechanic and get the same verified.But its now proven that the hum sound definitely is not from any external source like my other Amp which was connected.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back