Hunt starts for a 3D TV. Plasma or LED?

akhil7j

Hi,

After posting my questions here and there, I think its better to start a new thread. :)

I am looking for a 3D TV within 1 lac budget. So far I had decided to go for LG 47" LX9500 but changed my decision after having a good discussion with one of the HiFi member here
http://www.hifivision.com/television/17478-2011-samsung-plasma-3d-ps51d550-2.html

I don't have issues with power consumption, I can go for Plasma if a good one fits in my budget. About the room brightness, that also I can make it dark. What i don't like in LED LCD is the blacks which are grey and the ghosting problem. For Plasma i got a recommendation of Panasonic VT20 but that can be over budget.

The deal I am getting with LG LX9500 is 99,000 price with TataSky HD + 50 DVD titles + Adidas Tshirt.:p Though I told the dealer that I just want TataSky HD and for the rest you give discount. Lets see what best he will offer. So guys need you help in deciding the best TV in my budget.

Viewing distance is 11.6 feet and room is not bigger than the viewing distance. That's why I am considering 47-50 inches screen.

LG LX9600 is an excellent LCD, at 99k it is an amazing deal.

on the other hand you cant go wrong with top end plasma's from Panasonic, LG or samsung.

VT20 50" will set you back about 1.4 lakhs.

Thanks for the reply. I expected first will be urs. ;)

OK, so VT20 is out of budget. You suggested LG PK950 in your other post but I cant see the model in LG India website. Only PK550 is there which is again not 3D and PK950 even if available in India is not 3D. Top end plasma's are very expensive. Will have to wait for them.

Samsung PS51D550 is on the only option in the budget which is 3D.

^ PK950 is available in India(although not listed in the site), if you call LG Shoppe they will get it for you. When you a big screen tv buy it for the 2D picture quality as 3D in all the tv is just in very early stage and a very small added advantage. PK950 has a fantastic 2D picture quality.

The LG LX9500 is a good choice for a LED-LCD.
For your bright room its the ideal choice.

But 2011 models are just around the corner.

Which ones are the 2011 models?

@Rajapraveen

I know 3D is at early stage but its time for me to buy a TV. If i wont go for 3D, I will have this in my mind that I didnt buy the 3D and after a year or so I will look for an upgrade. :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Which ones are the 2011 models?

@Rajapraveen

I know 3D is at early stage but its time for me to buy a TV. If i wont go for 3D, I will have this in my mind that I didnt buy the 3D and after a year or so I will look for an upgrade. :(

3D is a utter flop. In 3 or 4 years, 3D will be no more. TV companies are pushing 3D because they want to make more money on a dead technology which no customer wants.

Hence, don't waste your money on 3D. Use that money for getting a better TV with better picture.

3D actually lowers the picture quality.

Please go through the article I posted yesterday

http://www.hifivision.com/television/17494-3d-scam-reject-repeat.html

Guys I'm at Samsung showroom. Just got the demo of 55C9000. The 3D is amazing. Earlier i had this thinking that 3D reduces the quality and brings dullness in image. Well atleast this doubt got cleared while having demo if this TV. Its of 410,000 and 55 inches. Obviously its overpriced but the 3D is awesome.

UA46C7000 demo was crap. 3D didnt work and price quoted was 110,000. Picture quality in 2D is good but naturalness was not there. Picture wasnt as smooth as the 55" one.

Going to Sony Showroom. Will post another feedback. Oh yeah forgot to mention, dealer was pathetic. He was not interested at all. He thought I am here just to have fun with 3D demos. Typical Indian dealers.!!!!

So this is a never ending top. Keeps me shifting from LG 47LX9500 and pannys everygreen 42V20.

Can you review the panasonic 42GT30 ? Price in india as well

So here is the Sony Feedback.

The salesman was really nice and was doing his best for making the audition as good as possible.

TV was KDI.46EX720. It was a 46" LED and 3D again was really good. Though i found more depth in the Samsung 55" one. The demo movie of samsung disnt have much balcks so couldnt get the idea. Sony LED blacks were good. Not disappointment.

One thing which is wastage of money is 2D to 3D conversion. Its just useless. SD picture quality was ok in Sony and HD was good. One interesting he told me was 200hz Motion flow and he claimed its only in sony. He showed a demo of that in a SD media content and without motion flow there was ghosting problem but with it, the picture was smooth.

Next is Panasonic. Lets see how it goes. :)

So here is the Sony Feedback.

The salesman was really nice and was doing his best for making the audition as good as possible.

TV was KDI.46EX720. It was a 46" LED and 3D again was really good. Though i found more depth in the Samsung 55" one. The demo movie of samsung disnt have much balcks so couldnt get the idea. Sony LED blacks were good. Not disappointment.

One thing which is wastage of money is 2D to 3D conversion. Its just useless. SD picture quality was ok in Sony and HD was good. One interesting he told me was 200hz Motion flow and he claimed its only in sony. He showed a demo of that in a SD media content and without motion flow there was ghosting problem but with it, the picture was smooth.

Next is Panasonic. Lets see how it goes. :)

The samsung models also have 200hz such as the series 6( 6200 and upwards) which is similar to Sony frame interpolation+backlight scanning found in EX720.But most reviews praise the Sony motionflow for having the least amount of side effects like the "Video look".Samsung should have also improved their Motionflow or CMR.

Once again judging any tv with showroom or factory settings may not always be the best way to judge a tv,if you ask me the Sony factory settings that i saw in a slightly lower end models like the EX520 looked like crap.

I suggest you to wait for the 2011 tvs LG has the Nano LED backlight based tvs coming.

samsung has the D8000 which is advertized as 800hz with a combination of high refresh rate panel,backlight scanning and frame interpolation.Its so far as got positive reviews.

Then there is the highly anticipated Sony flagship tv the HX925 which also has 800 hz but has full local dimming LED backlight compared to D8000 EDGE lit.It also has new PRO processor which atleast on paper sounds impressive.
There is also HX820 which is similar to the D8000

Then in the plasma you do have panasonic VT30.

I am also in this hunt. My requirements are normal LED tv 46" or 55".
My budget is around 1 L. I am planning to finish the purchase by the first week of May. Some of my shortlisted items is samsung 6 series.
Actually i wanted to buy the 46C7000, but i dropped the idea of 3D as it will take many more years for that technology to become commonly used. And 3d glasses are heavy and tiring on the eyes if watched for long.
ANY SUGGESTIONS AND HELP FROM ANY MEMBERS OR ANY GURUS OF THIS SITE IS WELCOME.
Thank You. :)

@hifijay

I read your post after few mins you posted thread here in HiFiV. I dont know 3D is a utter flop or not but somehow it impressed me. Moreover there isnt much difference on 2D LEDs and 3D LEDs in terms of price. I just came back home after a long auditioning and found 10k difference is worth paying for 3D. In future, I think 3D quality will be improved. The TV i auditioned, the samsung 55" @ 410,000 mrp showed me the future of 3D. I request you to have a demo and then tell me if 3D is worth or not. The doubts that 3D reduces the picture quality drastically will be gone from your mind. Just like mine. I found 3D a cool thing and will definitely go for 3D TV.

Last edited:
Samsung D series both plasma and LCD

LG PZ series.

Panasonic VT 30, GT30, ST series.

Hi Rajapraveen,

I searched ever where but didnt get these models anywhere. Samsung ppl said they will arrange in a week or so. But, I have decided to go for 3D. :D Man its worth buying. And i didnt find much difference in LG Plasmas and LED n LCD. But if you compare with Panasonic, there is no comparison. Panasonic outperforms in Plasmas. If anyone is interested in Plasma, I will always recommend Panasonic. :D

So this is a never ending top. Keeps me shifting from LG 47LX9500 and pannys everygreen 42V20.

Can you review the panasonic 42GT30 ? Price in india as well

Sorry mate the GT series was not available at showroom but, the VT20 Plasmas, what to say about them, I just cant put my feelings in words. Will say just one thing, when i saw the picture quality of 55" VT20, my eyes popped out and jaw fell down. Stunning picture quality and If you are not into 3D, then V series will do well.

The price I got of 55" VT20 was 167,000. :S I know. Very expensive and this is after discount. :S

Hi Rajapraveen,

I searched ever where but didnt get these models anywhere. Samsung ppl said they will arrange in a week or so. But, I have decided to go for 3D. :D Man its worth buying. And i didnt find much difference in LG Plasmas and LED n LCD. But if you compare with Panasonic, there is no comparison. Panasonic outperforms in Plasmas. If anyone is interested in Plasma, I will always recommend Panasonic. :D

The samsung D(5,6,7,8 series) and the LG Z and the Panasonic(GT30,VT30) all are 3D plasma.

only samsung has introduced their top end 2011 plasma in India so for, LG and Panasonic are yet to release theirs.

The 64" Samsung D8000 plasma costs 2.4 lakhs but i guess after bargaining it cab be bought for 1.7 - 1.8 lakhs.The D8000 is a fantastic plasma.

Also you cant compare plasma and LCD in showroom lighting, at home with dim light conditions plasma will out perform LCD and LCD will bloom.

The price I got of 55" VT20 was 167,000. :S I know. Very expensive and this is after discount. :S

must have the 50" and not the 55", VT20 is an amazing plasma for sure and many doubt even if the VT30 which is due will even be as good as the older VT20 and 25.

The samsung models also have 200hz such as the series 6( 6200 and upwards) which is similar to Sony frame interpolation+backlight scanning found in EX720.But most reviews praise the Sony motionflow for having the least amount of side effects like the "Video look".Samsung should have also improved their Motionflow or CMR.

Once again judging any tv with showroom or factory settings may not always be the best way to judge a tv,if you ask me the Sony factory settings that i saw in a slightly lower end models like the EX520 looked like crap.

I suggest you to wait for the 2011 tvs LG has the Nano LED backlight based tvs coming.

samsung has the D8000 which is advertized as 800hz with a combination of high refresh rate panel,backlight scanning and frame interpolation.Its so far as got positive reviews.

Then there is the highly anticipated Sony flagship tv the HX925 which also has 800 hz but has full local dimming LED backlight compared to D8000 EDGE lit.It also has new PRO processor which atleast on paper sounds impressive.
There is also HX820 which is similar to the D8000

Then in the plasma you do have panasonic VT30.

Thanks for the useful information man. Waiting is ok if i will get a good product. But what would be the prices? AFA I think, the newer models are always expensive than the older ones. I see why LG is giving so much discount on their LX9500 TV. Its because they are clearing the stock for the new ones.

@Rajapraveen,

Panasonic Plasmas are out of my budget. Cannot afford them bro. I suppose LG TVs will be cheaper than Samsung and Panasonic. Lets see if I can wait.

By the way, I went to Jumbo Electronics where i got the opportunity of comparing LG, Samsung and Sony. Among all these 3 TVs, Sony was disapointing. I dont know how really cuz I got the demo of same TV and Sony Showroom and it was still better. Here at Jumbo, I told them to use the same media content and play of these TVs so that I can compare. Samsung C7000 was really really good in 2D picture quality. The contrast was stunning and blacks were comparatively good. Then I got the demo of C7000 in 3D and it was again good. The depth was nice and flicker was less. The price he quoted after heavy discount was 110,000 with just one 3D glasses. 2nd I have to buy for 5,000. :S

Then got the LG LX9500 55" demo. The 2D quality was good again but not as bright as Samsung C7000. Its want bad but it was ok. Though Samsung's brightness was too much and you will definitely reduce the brightness once you will watch the TV for an hour or else it will burn your eyes.

I couldnt get the proper 3D demo of LG LX9500 as there were some very bright tube lights next to TV and while wearing glasses I got too much fliker. Although he didnt even play the same 3D content so that compare well but overall I liked the 3D of LG too. Not bad or wastage of money.

So now, only C7000 which is 46" and LX9500 which is 47" is in my mind. But after reading your posts, a part of my mind is saying to wait for the newer models.. :S

So now, only C7000 which is 46" and LX9500 which is 47" is in my mind. But after reading your posts, a part of my mind is saying to wait for the newer models.. :S

Out those two, if properly calibrated, LX9500 will win hands down in 2D pic quality. C7000 is not a bad tv either.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back