I feel LCD tvs of yesteryears are far more reliable then today's LED tvs

sanchits

Well, I think that LCD tvs 3-5 yrs back where far more reliable and some are still going strong. But, this isnt so with today's super slim led tvs...across all brands...why is it so ?

I mean...through this forum n some friends I find loads of newer LEDs tvs having premature panel failure n going kaput in a yr or two.

Why I think this is so...because my 4 yr old philips LCD is going strong, n my other 3 1/2 yr sony LCD is also doing great.
Aother example...A very close friend had bought 2 Sony LCDs, 32" n 42" from grey around 3 yrs back n both r doing great even today without a single issue.

This are just 2 examples, but I know of plenty more where LCDs are doing great yr on yr.

So, I have come to the conclusion that LCD tvs where more reliable then today's led tvs.
I wanna know why is it so ?
Can we attribute it to cost cutting n cramming too many features into their tvs.
Also, in an effort to make them super slim...have resulted in less space for heat dissipation specially in our hot n mid climate.

Honsetly speaking, this is one of the reason keeping me away from indulging into a high end led tv n going in for a medium end VFM tv instead.

Hi, your observation is very valid, no idea what is the exact reason... Even.the old led laptops were reliable... I dont think it is climate, as the tvs going bad is seen even in usa , so I think it is something to do with fast paced production and optimization , the crude name of the same is cost reduction... For higher margin... Moreover more and more of software based digitization adds to the fragile nature of these tvs... But one thing is very clear that it is all luck these days, but going for branded tvs (sony, samsung, lg, panasonic and toshiba) and opting for warranty minimizes the risk...

I am a manufacturer of LCD/LED panels. I am doing this for more than 10 yrs. Earlier i used to sell 100,000 panels a year. Now i am selling 250,000 panels a year (may be with different brand names too). That's like 100% more. I get more money. :) My swiss account gets accumulated. I am happy!
You want me to manufacture with the same quality as what i did 10 yrs back? Then how will i start making money?
(Do you think this is applicable only to TV's? What about fridge, washing machine and other electronic items!)

Part of the reason might be that LEDs are getting thinner and thinner by the day. There is probably not good enough space to keep all the components inside it well ventilated. (just my observation, provided without any research!)

totally agree with you.

From business perspective:
I design TV and you bought it and worked well for 3 years and later it ran into problem.
Now what you do is either get new TV according to present trend or repair old one.
Atleast 70% of people [who are rich enough to buy LEDs], will look for new TV, so more sales/profits.

Simple funda, this is working well for Mobile Phones. Every year they just up the hardware specifications without optimizing and fooled consumers are always there for them.

In today's world manufactures doesn't want their product to be last long for more than 3-4 years.If you look deep into the product you can find all produced in the same factories in china.They give this to Chinese contractors to produce it for cheap.3-4 year before story was some what different.

Can we attribute it to cost cutting n cramming too many features into their tvs.
Also, in an effort to make them super slim...have resulted in less space for heat dissipation specially in our hot n mid climate.

There you go.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back