I find this a nice place to shop for books o/l

hifiashok

The Complete Guide To High End Audio Books: Buy in India @ Flipkart.com

nice discounts, nice shipping.

buy one book, get a discount coupon with it delivered and keep using it for all books purchased after that upto a reasonable date (i bought two the first time and lost out. u guys are luckier i posted this ;))!!!

kamalji, you would recollect our discussion during the sunday g2g.

Congrats hifiashok!!
I see in your signature you have added Canasya Monoblocks.
Just a few questions. How are they compare to VA1? What pre you are using with monoblocks and how much do they cost?
Regards
Vasu

flipkart is the best out there...have ordered myself a few times from them.

However, if one still needs to do a comparison of prices among various Indian online stores...check out Compare Book Prices in India | Iglooo . Just type the title/author and you'll be provided with price listings from different Indian stores. The interface is pretty much like Google-uncluttered and to the point.

Congrats hifiashok!!
I see in your signature you have added Canasya Monoblocks. Vasu

Thank you. Interesting that you noticed this.

Just a few questions. How are they compare to VA1? Vasu

Well, the VA-1 is a 9 (36) watter. This is 50 (200). So, the VA-1 is magical for smaller room sizes, and relatively lower listening levels. The Canasyas are IT for larger volume spaces, for a punchier experience, something I was missing (if you have seen the pix i put up in the 'showcase...' thread). And, the VA-1 is a 2*EL34 (PC) based integrated stereo amp. whereas the Canasya is a 4*845 based monoblock. the 845s are designed for music (with the ones in the Canasya specially spec'd and manufactured) where the EL34s were for more conventional applications.

these are relatively new and owing to a couple of issues with my rack, power-conditioning and my CEC CDP, my listening time has not been as i would like it to have been. hoping the coming week sees atleast two of these three issues addressed. i'm certain the Canasyas would need some burning in to settle down.

What pre you are using with monoblocks and how much do they cost?Vasu

I am presently trying out a lot of options, two passive (Alps/DACT), one tube active and one SS active (all Lyrita). Have a Promitheus (TVC) in the pipeline. Still deciding. may also consider putting in a pot into the CEC CDP. hav not yet bought a pre.

Regards
Vasu

So, the VA-1 is magical for smaller room sizes, and relatively lower listening levels. The Canasyas are IT for larger volume spaces, for a punchier experience, something I was missing

this was somewhat my feeling too when I heard your setup, but I thought that is how audiophile system should sound :eek:

The Complete Guide To High End Audio Books: Buy in India @ Flipkart.com

nice discounts, nice shipping.

buy one book, get a discount coupon with it delivered and keep using it for all books purchased after that upto a reasonable date (i bought two the first time and lost out. u guys are luckier i posted this ;))!!!

kamalji, you would recollect our discussion during the sunday g2g.

thankx for site .. placed order for book .. good range .. books seem to be cheaper than crossword etc ..

this was somewhat my feeling too when I heard your setup, but I thought that is how audiophile system should sound :eek:

well, the VA1 is excellent for solitary listening which is the most frequent use of the system. however, when there is a larger group, or a g2g, one experiences a definite shortcoming. this has nothing to do with the amp. it is more the room, et al.

well, the VA1 is excellent for solitary listening which is the most frequent use of the system. however, when there is a larger group, or a g2g, one experiences a definite shortcoming. this has nothing to do with the amp. it is more the room, et al.

Ashokji,
How big is your room?
Apart for power and headroom what is the difference between these two amps considering the listening at low and moderate volume.?
I have my VA1 and Avitas in a 24x17x10.5 ft living/dining area and they play fairly loud. Once in a while i also get an urge to go rev up the volume and think of going for a high powered amp but i get afraid that i may lose the refinement of VA1. All my listening is at low or moderate volume and preferably alone and this amp has all the qualities to fulfill these criterias. Now my combo is sounding more dynamic and lifelike after i have put them on 2" thick Malaysian Salwood platform which are resting on vibrapods.
Sorry for going out of topic. It's better we start a new thread on this :)
Regards
Vasu

Ashokji,
How big is your room?

you MAY get a sense from http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/1167-showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here-19.html. this is demonstrative of just half the room size.

Apart for power and headroom what is the difference between these two amps considering the listening at low and moderate volume.?

the drive! the music sounds more alive. like the artists are performing right in front of you. the bite in jagjit singhji's voice or the strength of tenor in pt. joshi's voice or the rasp in chris rea's road to hell or kalpana zokarkar's control or the virtuosity of Hugh Masekela in Stimela are all right there bang on. still, it is not in your face, or harsh. the smoothness of a rebecca pidgeon's spanish harlem is silky sublime. it's almost like the renditions were meant to sound. just the right amount of attack, something the VA-1 was not able to deliver, esp. for complex pieces like hard rock (dire straits The Man's Too Strong, tho' it may not come under hard rock) or orchestrations (what a sound-stage!!!). and, owing to the better power o/p, the bass control is also much better (say, for the dhol in 'namak ishq ka - omkara'). the VA-1 was great for mellow music, like jazz or solo vocals. and the mids & highs are now a pure dream with the ES panels.

I have my VA1 and Avitas in a 24x17x10.5 ft living/dining area and they play fairly loud. Once in a while i also get an urge to go rev up the volume and think of going for a high powered amp but i get afraid that i may lose the refinement of VA1.

i guess you will never complain of the lack of refinement in the Canasya. this is a no compromise design, with valves that are possibly the best there are (for music, i.e.). and, the Cadence speaker range isn't the easiest load to drive that one could continue with SET kind or lower powered amps. and, the presentation matches all the effort at expecting to achieve this.

All my listening is at low or moderate volume and preferably alone and this amp has all the qualities to fulfill these criterias. Now my combo is sounding more dynamic and lifelike after i have put them on 2" thick Malaysian Salwood platform which are resting on vibrapods.

i use vibrapods/cones for my source components.

Sorry for going out of topic. It's better we start a new thread on this :)
Regards
Vasu

will try and soon post pix, once most of the stuff is back together. will be in the showcase thread....

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back