I have no clue how to start with a budget home theatre setup. Help me masters!

aswinrulez

I am a fan of movies and love enjoying them in the best way I can. So till date, the purchases I made for watching a movie or listening to music were done after a lot of research and I usually tend to get the best for the budget I allocate.

I recently bought the oneplus u1 TV that supports DTS and Dolby Atmos. The TVs speaker isn't that great. In my living room, the sound clarity isn't good. It's difficult to listen to what the actors are saying and sometimes I have to put subtitles.

I was recently looking into setting up home theatre system and I read in many forums and site that I need not buy everything in one go. I can buy a few components at a time which would be the best option for me.
  • How do I go about it? Since my TV support Atmos and DTS, do I need a receiver right now?
    • If so, can someone guide me on what to start buying? I would prefer getting a 2.1 up and running so I can get better clarity for now and then slowly buy the rest.
    • If so, anyone has a good budget option available?
  • Right now I am only streaming content and I think I might only use that in the near future. Not planning on using Bluray or anything.
  • I also don't have a dedicated home theatre room. TV is in the living room itself as you would normally find in a middle class rented house :D

I am a fan of movies and love enjoying them in the best way I can. So till date, the purchases I made for watching a movie or listening to music were done after a lot of research and I usually tend to get the best for the budget I allocate.

I recently bought the oneplus u1 TV that supports DTS and Dolby Atmos. The TVs speaker isn't that great. In my living room, the sound clarity isn't good. It's difficult to listen to what the actors are saying and sometimes I have to put subtitles.

I was recently looking into setting up home theatre system and I read in many forums and site that I need not buy everything in one go. I can buy a few components at a time which would be the best option for me.
  • How do I go about it? Since my TV support Atmos and DTS, do I need a receiver right now?
    • If so, can someone guide me on what to start buying? I would prefer getting a 2.1 up and running so I can get better clarity for now and then slowly buy the rest.
  • Right now I am only streaming content and I think I might only use that in the near future. Not planning on using Bluray or anything.
  • I also don't have a dedicated home theatre room. TV is in the living room itself as you would normally find in a middle class rented house :D

What is your budget? If you would like to setup a 5.1 channel setup, a receiver is highly recommended as you can power the speakers and have the ability to add more sources in the future. For movies, the Left, center, right and sub do most of the heavy lifting.

You could also look at a soundbars.

Cheers!

What is your budget? If you would like to setup a 5.1 channel setup, a receiver is highly recommended as you can power the speakers and have the ability to add more sources in the future. For movies, the Left, center, right and sub do most of the heavy lifting.

You could also look at a soundbars.

Cheers!
I got a Philips soundbar for 10k but it didn't do shit! the sound was horrible and clarity was even worse.

For the budget, I am not sure. I don't know what is the price for a decent level home theatre setup. I don't want to be going in lacs but I can manage about 20k of purchase in one go.

Can I buy a good 2.1 now and then later get a receiver and if I need a receiver, what should I look for or what is the cheapest option if I want to eventually upgrade to enjoy Dolby Atmos audio?

I got a Philips soundbar for 10k but it didn't do shit! the sound was horrible and clarity was even worse.

For the budget, I am not sure. I don't know what is the price for a decent level home theatre setup. I don't want to be going in lacs but I can manage about 20k of purchase in one go.

Can I buy a good 2.1 now and then later get a receiver and if I need a receiver, what should I look for or what is the cheapest option if I want to eventually upgrade to enjoy Dolby Atmos audio?

You would need a receiver to power the speakers. You must look for one with eARC support as your primary source is steaming services. A decent budget to start with is one lakh given you would have to buy a receiver, front, center speakers and a sub.

EDIT: Check this thread

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...-dolby-atmos-set-up-in-a-budget-of-80k.80097/

Cheers

Last edited:
You would need a receiver to power the speakers. You must look for one with eARC support as your primary source is steaming services. A decent budget to start with is one lakh given you would have to buy a receiver, front, center speakers and a sub.

Cheers

Cheers
That is a lot! Is there no good System that comes as a package within 30-50k?

in that budget, you should try to get a 5.1 sound bar. They can deliver good vocal clarity for movies and definitely sound better than TV audio.

If you want a home theater than atleast keep a budget of 70k or look for used options on olx for around 50k as starter.

You can get LG SN8YG sound bar with SPK8-S surround speakers addon. Should be under 50 if you bargain well. 5.1.2 with eARC and Google assistant support. Best bet in this budget with eARC.

One stop solution considering all you requirement within your budget (30-50k) is - Pioneer HTP-076

Other option is start building HT with initial investment of min 70K.... if you go preowned route then it might drop within your budget.

Cheers,
:cool:

You can get LG SN8YG sound bar with SPK8-S surround speakers addon. Should be under 50 if you bargain well. 5.1.2 with eARC and Google assistant support. Best bet in this budget with eARC.

It can be had for 22-25K from LG dealer or owner of LG OLED TV.

I got mine sound bar with C9 and sold for 22K.

i guess SPK8-S surround speakers are out of stock in market & not easily available :( found FM mentioning he is looking for it from jan.

in that budget, you should try to get a 5.1 sound bar. They can deliver good vocal clarity for movies and definitely sound better than TV audio.

If you want a home theater than atleast keep a budget of 70k or look for used options on olx for around 50k as starter.
After my bad experience with soundbars i am bit hesitant to spend on it. Agree that I have only used soundbars of 10k but still a bit worries.
One stop solution considering all you requirement within your budget (30-50k) is - Pioneer HTP-076

Other option is start building HT with initial investment of min 70K.... if you go preowned route then it might drop within your budget.

Cheers,
:cool:
This pioneer one looks good. I will read up on it.
70k is fine by me. Do you have recommendations for this?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back