ICSE Schools in Bangalore. Which one ?

Silencer

Guys,

I am trying to figure out on which ICSE school should I enroll my son. He turned three years old last month.

I did my research. Oh God. It is so exhausting. I have gone through the online reviews ( most reviews are paid or disgruntled rant ), asked other parents, asked at work. Yet I am undecided.

So many options, so many prestigious schools. But the consensus is the schools use their legacy to loot the parents. The quality is degraded and fees are exorbitant. Some of the well regarded schools in my locality are not even attending the phone calls. I have been trying to reach them since Friday.

I stay at Frazer Town, which is known for its schools. I chose ICSE because the syllabus isn't Science oriented like CBSE. I prefer equal importance given to extracurricular activities and sports as well. I don't know how well the ICSE schools stick to the syllabus.

I come from a small town in Kerala and I studied in Kerala State Board. My parents didn't believe in the so called superior and expensive education. My dad still believes a child learns more from the books he read than from his school. He made sure we can read and comprehed well and introduced us to the world of books out of our syllabus. It worked wonders in moulding me as a person.

But I am not brave like them. I wished I studied in a different stream when I was trying for these competitive exams. It wasn't easy for me in the beginning, although I managed well quickly.

So help me guys. Tell me if I am thinking and worrying too much. My dad is calling me crazy and asking me to enroll him in any school near home. He tells me to teach him well at home and don't trust any schools. My ego isn't allowing me to admit he is right :(

Should I try something unconventional? Or am I wrong about ICSE? Is CBSE better? Am I doing it right? And which school to choose, I am not looking into any posh schools like Bishop Cotton or Joseph's.

Also, not a school which only dwells on its past glory. How good are they now matters more than how good it was once.

Any good, decent school, with good teachers, and importantly a decent sized playground, would do. I am willing to relocate for the sake of his education. My office is near Indira Nagar.

Please share your experiences/ views as a student/ parent. The admission season is about to start.

Thank you for reading.

PS: It is much easier to choose an amp and matching speakers than doing this. I have been behind this school hunt since his birthday.

Last edited:
How do you rate Frank Antony at Indira Nagar and Bethany High at Koramangala?

Edit: I know that the schools are more business oriented these days. But does the money paid translate in to good teaching?

Guys,

I am trying to figure out on which ICSE school should I enroll my son. He turned three years old last month.

I did my research. Oh God. It is so exhausting. I have gone through the online reviews ( most reviews are paid or disgruntled rant ), asked other parents, asked at work. Yet I am undecided.

So many options, so many prestigious schools. But the consensus is the schools use their legacy to loot the parents. The quality is degraded and fees are exorbitant. Some of the well regarded schools in my locality are not even attending the phone calls. I have been trying to reach them since Friday.

I stay at Frazer Town, which is known for its schools. I chose ICSE because the syllabus isn't Science oriented like CBSE. I prefer equal importance given to extracurricular activities and sports as well. I don't know how well the ICSE schools stick to the syllabus.

I come from a small town in Kerala and I studied in Kerala State Board. My parents didn't believe in the so called superior and expensive education. My dad still believes a child learns more from the books he read than from his school. He made sure we can read and comprehed well and introduced us to the world of books out of our syllabus. It worked wonders in moulding me as a person.

But I am not brave like them. I wished I studied in a different stream when I was trying for these competitive exams. It wasn't easy for me in the beginning, although I managed well quickly.

So help me guys. Tell me if I am thinking and worrying too much. My dad is calling me crazy and asking me to enroll him in any school near home. He tells me to teach him well at home and don't trust any schools. My ego isn't allowing me to admit he is right :(

Should I try something unconventional? Or am I wrong about ICSE? Is CBSE better? Am I doing it right? And which school to choose, I am not looking into any posh schools like Bishop Cotton or Joseph's.

Also, not a school which only dwells on its past glory. How good are they now matters more than how good it was once.

Any good, decent school, with good teachers, and importantly a decent sized playground, would do. I am willing to relocate for the sake of his education. My office is near Indira Nagar.

Please share your experiences/ views as a student/ parent. The admission season is about to start.

Thank you for reading.

PS: It is much easier to choose an amp and matching speakers than doing this. I have been behind this school hunt since his birthday.
I have had my Daughter in ICSE until 4th standard when the Covid came in.
I realised that ICSE is rather a pain unless there are really trained teachers available.
For my daughter unfortunately, she did not have good teachers trained to handle that kind of teaching style online and probably offline too.
I shifted her from ICSE to CBSE in 5th standard.

CBSE has been really way better syllabus than in our times. Its mix of theory and application.
I would highly recommend you to rather go with CBSE.

I have had my Daughter in ICSE until 4th standard when the Covid came in.
I realised that ICSE is rather a pain unless there are really trained teachers available.
For my daughter unfortunately, she did not have good teachers trained to handle that kind of teaching style online and probably offline too.
I shifted her from ICSE to CBSE in 5th standard.

CBSE has been really way better syllabus than in our times. Its mix of theory and application.
I would highly recommend you to rather go with CBSE.

Thanks.

Many of my colleagues echoed the same sentiment. They had a tough time dealing with online classes. And the school staff too aren't good enough.

May I ask which school? You can pm me. So that I can rule that out. And which school you identified for her now.

following this thread as i have the same situation as OP..I'm in bellandur area in bengaluru and looking schools around in sarjapur road side for my 3 year old son..as per the info gathered in my circle, both 50/50 are for CBSE/ICSE. majority suggested St. Peter's ICSE School,

Thanks.

Many of my colleagues echoed the same sentiment. They had a tough time dealing with online classes. And the school staff too aren't good enough.

May I ask which school? You can pm me. So that I can rule that out. And which school you identified for her now.
The Parents have nightmare teaching ICSE Kids at Home. Beyond everything, the Books are just the guideline to the content... there is not even an index of topics.

Sorry I am in Udaipur and my Kids are in Witty International School.
Its one of the best in Udaipur but still did not live upto my expectation when I noticed the teachers teaching online.
Many of my daughter's batchmates have switched from ICSE to CBSE

Guys,

Thank you for reading.

Hi Silencer,

My cousin's kids have studied at Bishop Cotton school years ago & both have turned out quite well . I am not from Bangalore so I don't know how far it is from Frazer town but they were near Lalbaugh gardens.
Like you said how much they learn outside school will help a lot in shaping them holistically. Pls select a school where there are extracurricular activities rather than the bookworm marks chasing type of schools.

Regards,
Nitin

The Parents have nightmare teaching ICSE Kids at Home. Beyond everything, the Books are just the guideline to the content... there is not even an index of topics.

Sorry I am in Udaipur and my Kids are in Witty International School.
Its one of the best in Udaipur but still did not live upto my expectation when I noticed the teachers teaching online.
Many of my daughter's batchmates have switched from ICSE to CBSE

The best ones are crazy expensive for an LKG.

I was told even if you're willing to pay, there is no promise that you'll get an admission. And most of the great schools are boys/ girls only.

I prefer co-ed schools. Let the children learn how to treat/ behave with girls and handle them better from childhood. We stay away from our families, no relatives in Bangalore. We visit home only twice a year for a week. That's not enough to maintain relationships.

We all had our cousins, relatives around when we were growing up. Now all they have is us and their friends.

Hi Silencer,

My cousin's kids have studied at Bishop Cotton school years ago & both have turned out quite well . I am not from Bangalore so I don't know how far it is from Frazer town but they were near Lalbaugh gardens.
Like you said how much they learn outside school will help a lot in shaping them holistically. Pls select a school where there are extracurricular activities rather than the bookworm marks chasing type of schools.

Regards,
Nitin

Thanks.

Bishop Cotton is the best school in Bangalore. It is not very far from where I live. A great school, but expensive. I am unable to understand why I need to spend > 3lakhs for an LKG admission. I get that these are great schools and have great teaching staff. But still it doesn't make sense to me. Forgive me if I am being silly.

I am fine with paying. But is my child getting it back?

Thanks.

Bishop Cotton is the best school in Bangalore. It is not very far from where I live. A great school, but expensive. I am unable to understand why I need to spend > 3lakhs for an LKG admission. I get that these are great schools and have great teaching staff. But still it doesn't make sense to me. Forgive me if I am being silly.

I am fine with paying. But is my child getting it back?
Most welcome. I was not aware that they are so expensive now. 3 lakhs for lkg admission is ridiculous & certainly not worth it. My cousin's kids had gone there maybe approx 27 years back when it must have been reasonable.

Unfortunately schools today in general have turned into money making factories. Looks like Pink Floyd's "Another brick in the wall" seems to be so apt in most of the school's in today's times.

Last edited:
Near Frazer Town
Bishop Cotton Boys High School
St. Joseph's Boys High School (my alma mater)
Frank Anthony Public School (I think this is still Co-ed)
Baldwin's Boys High School

In my personal experience, do consider a co-ed school first.
And look at CBSE as well.

Cheers,
Raghu

@Silencer
My daughter is in FAPS , overall it’s a great school, National Public School (CBSE I think ) is one of the best in Indiranagar I’ve heard.
Tc

Most welcome. I was not aware that they are so expensive now. 3 lakhs for lkg admission is ridiculous & certainly not worth it. My cousin's kids had gone there maybe approx 27 years back when it must have been reasonable.

Unfortunately schools today in general have turned into money making factories. Looks like Pink Floyd's "Another brick in the wall" seems to be so apt in most of the school's in today's times.

27 years. Wow . Now it's really expensive for a LKG admission.
Near Frazer Town
Bishop Cotton Boys High School
St. Joseph's Boys High School (my alma mater)
Frank Anthony Public School (I think this is still Co-ed)
Baldwin's Boys High School

In my personal experience, do consider a co-ed school first.
And look at CBSE as well.

Cheers,
Raghu

FAPS is still Co-ed. I heard it is a nice school. My colleague's children study there. They say the staff aren't that good for high school when compared to the lower classes. Overall one of the best I heard.
@Silencer
My daughter is in FAPS , overall it’s a great school, National Public School (CBSE I think ) is one of the best in Indiranagar I’ve heard.
Tc

Hmm. .I will consider them. None of them are disclosing the fee structure. They said we will get a call to visit the school. Details will be told then.

What class is your daughter in? Do you find the difference in her when compared to children from other schools ( children of friends, family and neighbours )? By difference, I mean the character building, manners, language skills and overall development.

With our work and stress, we may not be able to monitor our kids and their developments. I don't want anymore regrets in my life. It's just wife and I here. No grandparents or relatives or good friends to notice what we often fail to notice in our children.

Thanks for the replies.

What class is your daughter in? Do you find the difference in her when compared to children from other schools ( children of friends, family and neighbours )?
She is in 3rd, we've kids from our apartment studying in different schools like bishop cottons etc,
I don't see much of a difference even though it's an old-style school.
FAPS encourages students to participate in extracurricular activities which I find it good.
Out of topic - Along with school, I feel the housing society we live in is equally important in molding the character, etc.

She is in 3rd, we've kids from our apartment studying in different schools like bishop cottons etc,
I don't see much of a difference even though it's an old-style school.
FAPS encourages students to participate in extracurricular activities which I find it good.
Out of topic - Along with school, I feel the housing society we live in is equally important in molding the character, etc.

I agree with that. The environment around our kids has great influence on them. Especially our home atmosphere and housing society plays a significant role. I currently stay in an individual floor. Only two families. The owner's and mine. Like I said before, I will relocate to a place near the school I choose.

I will pay a visit to FAPS. The weather spoils my plans.

I agree with that. The environment around our kids has great influence on them. Especially our home atmosphere and housing society plays a significant role. I currently stay in an individual floor. Only two families. The owner's and mine. Like I said before, I will relocate to a place near the school I choose.

I will pay a visit to FAPS. The weather spoils my plans.
Make sure your kid's bus ride is within 30-45 mins each way.
For your commute, choose something close to metro.

City based ICSE schools have a good mix of academia, sports and other activities.
The only grouse we as parents was most of them were unisex schools.

South Bangalore has some good schools, but mostly CBSE.
My boy did 12 years (K-10) in DPS (South) - CBSE. A very chilled out school.
No daily homework, few projects in high school. Lots of sports options.

PS:
I just read your opening post. I hate to say this to you, but your dad is right :D
School plays a part in shaping a kid's personality, but not all of it.
You pay for some stuff to be unloaded of your shoulder, like academia.
The other stuff comes mainly from home (parents, extended family, neighborhood).
You as parents need to focus on the little things like spending time with kids.
As a parent, you should worry about kids education/future, etc.
It shows you are willing to engage and devote time/effort to your kid.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Make sure your kid's bus ride is within 30-45 mins each way.
For your commute, choose something close to metro.

City based ICSE schools have a good mix of academia, sports and other activities.
The only grouse we as parents was most of them were unisex schools.

South Bangalore has some good schools, but mostly CBSE.
My boy did 12 years (K-10) in DPS (South) - CBSE. A very chilled out school.
No daily homework, few projects in high school. Lots of sports options.

PS:
I just read your opening post. I hate to say this to you, but your dad is right :D
School plays a part in shaping a kid's personality, but not all of it.
You pay for some stuff to be unloaded of your shoulder, like academia.
The other stuff comes mainly from home (parents, extended family, neighborhood).
You as parents need to focus on the little things like spending time with kids.
As a parent, you should worry about kids education/future, etc.
It shows you are willing to engage and devote time/effort to your kid.

Cheers,
Raghu

:)

He was and is always right. My life would have been much more easier had I listened to him as an adult. I guess most of us realize this too late. Sigh.

Thanks for the kind words. I want to give my son every opportunity I can afford. Let him decide what to do in the future.

I knew I will get sensible answers from here. This place never disappoints. Wish me luck in choosing the right school :)

What class is your daughter in? Do you find the difference in her when compared to children from other schools ( children of friends, family and neighbours )? By difference, I mean the character building, manners, language skills and overall development.

With our work and stress, we may not be able to monitor our kids and their developments. I don't want anymore regrets in my life. It's just wife and I here. No grandparents or relatives or good friends to notice what we often fail to notice in our children.
I hate to say this but it needs to be said. It may sound preachy and harsh but there is no other way to say it so apologies in advance.
You ARE expecting too much from a school. A school is primarily meant for academic education. The "extra curricular" stuff is a bonus. That's why it is called "extra curricular". :)
I get the impression that you are expecting a school to mould your child's character and play a major role in that. Those days are long gone. The majority out there are out to make money and there is nothing wrong in that provided you get close to your money's worth. Please lower your expectations re. the role of a school in moulding the child's character. You, your family and his playmates WILL mould the child. Of course, the school will have a role to play but that will be relatively very small. @GeorgeB is right in what he said. Parents these days for some reason don't realize the positives and importance of a child having playmates, friends and just playing even if all they do is just run around.
I was actually very flabbergasted to read what you wrote: "With our work and stress, we may not be able to monitor.....". I sincerely hope you didn't mean it the way it came across. It is your and the responsibility of your spouse to monitor, guide and thus mould the child. Work and stress be damned! If that is what is holding you back, get a relatively stressless job. Sorry to have put it like this, but like I said, there's no other way to say this nicely.

I hate to say this but it needs to be said. It may sound preachy and harsh but there is no other way to say it so apologies in advance.
You ARE expecting too much from a school. A school is primarily meant for academic education. The "extra curricular" stuff is a bonus. That's why it is called "extra curricular". :)
I get the impression that you are expecting a school to mould your child's character and play a major role in that. Those days are long gone. The majority out there are out to make money and there is nothing wrong in that provided you get close to your money's worth. Please lower your expectations re. the role of a school in moulding the child's character. You, your family and his playmates WILL mould the child. Of course, the school will have a role to play but that will be relatively very small. @GeorgeB is right in what he said. Parents these days for some reason don't realize the positives and importance of a child having playmates, friends and just playing even if all they do is just run around.
I was actually very flabbergasted to read what you wrote: "With our work and stress, we may not be able to monitor.....". I sincerely hope you didn't mean it the way it came across. It is your and the responsibility of your spouse to monitor, guide and thus mould the child. Work and stress be damned! If that is what is holding you back, get a relatively stressless job. Sorry to have put it like this, but like I said, there's no other way to say this nicely.
Well said...

You said it right. No offence taken.

I didn't exactly mean stress is work. I have two children. My elder son is 5. He's in the spectrum and has other behavioral issues. We, my wife and I, have been going for his speech/ occupational/ sensory integration therapy across Bangalore since his diagnosis. The people at work has been kind enough to support me with flexible timing and all. But I cannot expect it continue forever.

Ever since his diagnosis, our life has taken a different turn, we just want him to be independent. Nothing else. You can imagine how hard can it be for us to juggle between work and therapy. He gets our maximum attention. We want him to have a meaningful life.

I am honestly worried that the younger one may not get the same attention. Our plates are already full. Mine is a love marriage. My wife is from the north. Her family isn't supportive. That's why I need the school to do the heavy lifting. I agree, I am shifting responsibilities from me. But mind you, I don't enjoy doing this.

But you're absolutely right about what you said.

Edit: My wife quit her job for the elder one. I can't ask more from her. You know, this wasn't the life we expected. But life is full of surprises.​

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back