Ideal Hindi Testing Materials for Stereo

paritosh

Hi friends,

I'm looking for some quality hindi (bollywood / jagjit singh) materials for my auditioning rounds. Can you provide some pointers as to which songs / recordings / albums fit the bill for being an ideal testing material (like the dark night blueray for testing blacks of your panels). Also let me know the websites from where I can get FLACs of these materials.

Till now, I have been doing my rounds with good quality MP3 of Jism (''Aawarapan Banjarapan, Shikayat Hai). Do you think I should be taking along Audio CDs? If yes, which albumls would serve the purpose best?

You should look for songs you are familiar with. Most of the modern recordings are of good quality. Always carry CDs.

Jagjit Singh's Journey is a good 2 CD album with most of his famous songs. Most of the Safar albums (Kishore Kumar, Rajesh Khanna, Mukesh) are all good. Look for songs by Shankar Ehsann Loy as they use a lot of instruments and usually push the amp/speaker combination quite hard.

In non-filmi, I consider 'Breathless' by Shankar Mahadevan to be one of the best albums for testing.

Cheers

Paritosh, please Get an original CD. Jagjit Singh's 'Marasim' is an excellent recording. I like it's "haath chhute bhi to rishtey" song very well sounding. FLACS shouldn't be used as authentic source for quality music, because the ripping + reburning may screw up the original quality. CD drive's very high RPM and Jitter are the killer.

Last edited:
What happened to the Marantz 6003 CD player group buy? is the vendor updating us? please post the update

Also try Delhi 6, Dil Se..., Lagan, Dil Chahta Hai, Once Upon A Time In Mumbai.

For English OST Tron Legacy is what I liked in recent buy.

Forgot Rock On!

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

Also try some not so good recordings like LOVE AAJ KAL. That would also tell you the system behaves when not so great recordings are played. The reason being most of the older recordings are not so great.

Thanks
pandu

For high quality recording try "Rajkumar" (the new one with Anil Kapoor and
Madhuri with music by LP). The song "Payal Meri Jadoo Jagaye" can show your speakers' real capability.

You can also try "Gupt" and "Koyila" for their high quality recording.

All the above are "DDD" classified CDs.

Later try some old Kishore songs.

Regds

You can try
JISM - Jaadu hai nasha hai
Ghajini - Behaka
Hum se hai muqubala - Urvashi

Also try -
Enigma - Principles of Lust
Eagles - Hotel California

As far as hindi goes, i test using these songs :

for Soundstage

Lagaan- Ghanan ghanan, o palanhare, o rey chori

Rehna hai tere dil mien - Zara Zara

Khelein hum jee jaan se - ye desh hai mera

Anwar- maula mere, tose naina lage

for dynamic range

Jannat - jannat jahan

Dev D- most of the tracks ,especially 'emotional attyachar' rock version

Taal- Ramta jogi

Yuva - title song

Rang de basanti-loose control, lukka chhupi

As far as testing the bass is considered, play along 'khuda jaane' from Bachna ae Haseeno , (it has the worst level of bass in any recent bollywood song i have heard)

I always check the quality/efficiency of the speakers/headphones by playing TU BIN BATAYE from RANG DE BASANTI. This Rahman composition renders smooth deep bass and highs also. The vocals are also good.
I play this track for calibrating the graphic equaliser also.
Give it a try, listen to it closely you'll enjoy.
Happy listening.

Last edited:
Try these :
Kaise Mujhe Tum mil gaye :- A R Rahman for Gajnee
Dekna Mere Sar Se:- from Banti aur Babli, very good combination of Indian and western.
Tinka Tinka Zara Zara; Alisha Chinoy for Funa impressive huskiness in vocals and for crisp high notes
Abhi Woh Kamsin by Jagjit Singh for a different type of low notes and finally
Ankhon Ki Gustakhiyan Maaf Hon for Ham Dil De Chuke Sanam melodious composition my Ismail Darbar using Indian light classical music very sweetly. These are my versatile choices for Hindi music.

thank you all so much for pouring in with your suggestions. i will get the CDs of these tracks ASAP.

personally, i like the instrumentation and vocals of following songs:
Shikayat Hai from Jism - i love the prelude with guittare and punchy bass in this song. the vocals by Rupkumar Rathore also sound unadultred

Awarapan Banjarapan, again from Jism - for its typical swoping sterio sound stage with bells and bass

Chup tum raho, from Iss Raat Ki Subah Nahin - for its dynamic range. i love the way tabala and sexophone are used in the orchastration

(well I jsut realised while typing that all three are composed by MM Krim!!!!)

also, I just listening to Oh Sanam by Lucky Ali on my Skoda's Dance music system. this one has a nice deep base guittare track flowing along the vocals

well, these are the kind of songs that I love to listen to (other than Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and Jagjit Singh and Aatif). the views regarding the audio / recording highlits i have expressed (e.g. Chup tum raho having a good dynamic range) are just as per my little tini tiny bits of undrstanding - so do correct me if i'm wrong at an place.

and keep comming with your favourites so that I can start collecting the missing ones for my auditions (which I'm planning to go for this Wednusday)

thanks again

thank you all so much for pouring in with your suggestions. i will get the CDs of these tracks ASAP.

personally, i like the instrumentation and vocals of following songs:
Shikayat Hai from Jism - i love the prelude with guittare and punchy bass in this song. the vocals by Rupkumar Rathore also sound unadultred

Awarapan Banjarapan, again from Jism - for its typical swoping sterio sound stage with bells and bass

Chup tum raho, from Iss Raat Ki Subah Nahin - for its dynamic range. i love the way tabala and sexophone are used in the orchastration

(well I jsut realised while typing that all three are composed by MM Krim!!!!)

also, I just listening to Oh Sanam by Lucky Ali on my Skoda's Dance music system. this one has a nice deep base guittare track flowing along the vocals

well, these are the kind of songs that I love to listen to (other than Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and Jagjit Singh and Aatif). the views regarding the audio / recording highlits i have expressed (e.g. Chup tum raho having a good dynamic range) are just as per my little tini tiny bits of undrstanding - so do correct me if i'm wrong at an place.

and keep comming with your favourites so that I can start collecting the missing ones for my auditions (which I'm planning to go for this Wednusday)

thanks again

Best of luck friend.....

FLACS shouldn't be used as authentic source for quality music, because the ripping + reburning may screw up the original quality.
How would FLAC screw up the quality when it makes identical (bit-for-bit) lossless copies?
CD drive's very high RPM and Jitter are the killer.
What does this jitter sound like? How would I recognize it (what should I be listening for) when comparing a FLAC file to the original CD?

yess they are really versatile ..thanks from my side also......vktyagi

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of my favorite is already suggested by audiophile friends...couple of more additions

Suffiana.....Ali Maula Track from Kurban and Javeda Zindagi from Anwar...
Jagjit Singh's Parwaaz.....album is live recording...
Indian Ocean's Black Friday/Kandisa

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back