iem for first-time user (upgrade over AKG headphones)

trumee

I have been using AKG headphones which came along with my Samsung mobile. I listen on my phone (Samsung Note 9) using UAPP software. It detects the internal DAC as a high-res DAC.

I am looking for an upgrade over my headphones which doesn't break the bank. Any recommendations?

OK - so as far as I am concerned - I do not have much experience with the earphones in that price range - however a few I have tried I can recommend (though still higher than your budget) - **in no particular order of preference - do your research as you probably can't audition these -

1 - Shanling ME100 - Too bright for me, but overall enjoyable.
2 - FiiO FA1 - weird design and hence fitting, but for me - one of the better sounding IEMs under 10K
3 - FiiO FD3 - Great IEMs but fitting, bulk and shape is an acquired taste.
4 - Etymotic ER2 - If you can live with the ETY fit and deep insertion - I personally love the sound signature.

I apologise as this list might not be very helpful, but like I said I do not have much experience with sub 5000 category.

***if you are open to used earphones - you can give this a try - there are some nice IEMs in your budget.

Like this -

& this -

*******I have no affiliation to HPZ - links are for reference only.

Last edited:
I have been using AKG headphones which came along with my Samsung mobile.
Is this what came along with your sammy?
If yes, these are the EO-IG955.
A sleeper, and are absolutely underrated.

What sound signature are you looking for?

Attachments

• 1647825154713.jpeg
    1647825154713.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 3
Yes, those are the ones i presently have.

Not sure what sound signature i want. Not an audiophile.

5000 or thereabouts.
A straight conversion from USD to INR would make ₹5000 about $67 (~~₹76 = $1 today), but if we compare the prices of in-ear earphones sold in India to international prices, the conversion rate varies anywhere from ₹86 to 100. Without going into whether that's fair conversion or not, you could possibly narrow down your search to IEMs that are $60 to $80 (internationally). Or you could even stretch that to $100. Usually the IEM market is informally divided into the super cheap (say upto $15 to 20, then $20-35, then upto $50, followed by upto $100. There are lots of choices in this segments, but as someone had already asked, your choice of sound signature would be the first hurdle you'd need to cross.

Just FYI, your Samsung AKG IEM retails for about $100 if bought separately. There are also non retail, bulk packages in unmarked plastic pouches that sell for about $10, BUT there are tons of fakes, some selling online for as low as Rs 50. I even saw one at a brick and mortar shop with proper retail packaging, costing ₹250.

'Tripowin Olina' will arrive soon in India, from existing available 'Tin hifi t3 plus'

CCA C16 (16 drivers) is what I would recommend. Buy direct from China it will be cheaper.

Please shy away from TinHIFI…..my TIN 3 is lying unused.

Hello, I do see you have made the decision, congrats on the purchase and happy listening.

To suggest so it might help others, close to the budget the FiiO FH1s iems available at amazon.. I have the previous version as FiiO FH1 and its still going strong. For the price I found them very good musically and loved the Knowles driver it had and FH1s is an upgraded version so feel should be even better at similar price point.

Recently I purchased two earphones Final E1000 and blon bl03.. Both are extremely good for the price of under 2k. Still my favourite is TRN V80 with upgraded cable...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back