Ifi Zen Can 6xx Sig - Schiit Asgard 3 - Schiit Magni 3+ - Anode Acoustics HPA No 2 MKII(Mosfet) - Anode Acoustics HPA No 4(BJT)

manek

Hi All

Would like views from “people who have owned” one or more of the above 5 headphone amps on :
1) How they compare on power delivery for low to high impedance headphones
2) Refinement, detail, timbre, dynamics
3) Reliability and Build Quality
4) Service and Support
5) Any other Gotcha’s

Music that I generally listen to is Jazz, Classical, Vintage Pop, Vintage Rock(sometimes), Stage musicals.

Headphones range from 32 ohms to 320 ohms impedance.

One point that I have noticed on the Anode Acoustics website is that for HPA 2 mkII there are no power output specs apart from a power supply spec number. Am I missing something here ? For the HPA 4 I read 1 watt as a power rating but not too sure if that is at @16/32 ohms ? And what is it at 300 ohms ? Anyone who can shed more light for both Anode Acoustic hpa’s ?

Hi All

Would like views from “people who have owned” one or more of the above 5 headphone amps on :
4) Service and Support
5) Any other Gotcha’s

Music that I generally listen to is Jazz, Classical, Vintage Pop, Vintage Rock(sometimes), Stage musicals.

One point that I have noticed on the Anode Acoustics website is that for HPA 2 mkII there are no power output specs apart from a power supply spec number. Am I missing something here ? For the HPA 4 I read 1 watt as a power rating but not too sure if that is at @16/32 ohms ? And what is it at 300 ohms ? Anyone who can shed more light for both Anode Acoustic hpa’s ?
#4 amp pushes out 1W at 32 ohms as far as i remember, #2 pushes out 1.5W at 32 ohms. I've owned both, both drive even the hardest to drive planar headphones out there with plenty of ease and headroom. Do not worry about lack of power with their amps. #4 is more on the uncolored side while #2 is on the warmer-thicker side. As an owner of multiple products of the brand, their stuff are built like tanks, their tube amps like museum pieces. And service is very good as well, the owner Nitin Kaushik is very approachable and always reachable personally. I never had to send any product back to him for repair or anything.

#4 amp pushes out 1W at 32 ohms as far as i remember, #2 pushes out 1.5W at 32 ohms. I've owned both, both drive even the hardest to drive planar headphones out there with plenty of ease and headroom. Do not worry about lack of power with their amps. #4 is more on the uncolored side while #2 is on the warmer-thicker side. As an owner of multiple products of the brand, their stuff are built like tanks, their tube amps like museum pieces. And service is very good as well, the owner Nitin Kaushik is very approachable and always reachable personally. I never had to send any product back to him for repair or anything.
Tks for the the inputs

I visited Mr Nitin Koushiks home last week at Delhi. While I was interested in the No 1 Headphone Amp, which he did not have at the time of my visit, he was kind enough of demo'ing me his SS power Amp coupled to the Tube Pre-Amp using 12AU7 tubes. He also showcased and played his EL34 mono-blocks coupled to the same pre. His creations look beautiful. Rich wood, neat finish, pleasing layout. And heavy!! Point to Point wiring and rock solid build.
My thoughts
SS Mono/ 12AU7 Tube Pre
1. The SS power amp/ Tube pre sounded lush. Pleasing highs, and wonderful lows. The amp was driving the speakers (Dali Ikon6 Mk2) very well. The sound was so engrossing!!
3. I found this combo to have a better sense of depth with mids that were not smeared by the lows.

My thoughts on EL34 mono-blocks coupled to the same tube pre
1. The sound was more "rounded". The sound became wider and more enveloping.
2. The vocals were more forward than the previous combo. Again, a different sense of music, pleasant and smooth..
3. Wetter sound than the SS/Tube combo.

All in all, a great experience .
For those looking for Tube Pre and EL34/SS mono or Tube HP Amp, do give Mr Koushik's creation a hearing. You may fall in love with it. I did.
I could sense the "house sound" that came from the tube amp/tube pre and this made me buy the No 1 without giving them a hearing. I am sure, these would turn out great as well. Looking forwards to owning and hearing the No 1.
So how's your #1 treating you?

Hi All

4) Service and Support
5) Any other Gotcha’s

@manek, i have had the opportunity to use the AA #2 HPA for an extensive period of time (more that 2 months) and currently own the #1 & #4.

Trying to throw some light on your query in case if you are still looking for:

1) How they compare on power delivery for low to high impedance headphones - I have used headphones form 32ohms to 600 ohms Bayerdynamic with the #4 as well as #2 and never turned the volume more than 12'O clock. Dynamic range has been nothing less than what i can think of.

2) Refinement, detail, timbre, dynamics - #4 is basically the most neutral HPA you can get (or may be the most neutral i have ever heard). They are like studio monitors just amplifying the input signal without any coloration. Best when one really want to reach closest to what the music programmer wanted the recording to sound like.
#2 is like the closest you can get to a Tube sound signature from an SS amplifier. It is the best choice if you love tubes sound however not comfortable maintaining the sophisticated Tube setup.
For #1 I have a separate thread. :)

3) Reliability and Build Quality - As az9012 mentioned, they are built like a tank. Never failed till date for me.

4) Service and Support - Being an electronic and the weather & pollution we thrive in today, if at all it fails, Nitin Kaushik is just a call away. He is ever supportive and best part is one can learn a lot from him if he/she is open to acquire knowledge.

5) Any other Gotcha’s - What Headphone are you using? By the way, though it can drive almost all demanding headphones, do not expect any of this series to drive the HiFiman Susvara. There is a complete different solution for the same from Anode Acoustics.

@manek, i have had the opportunity to use the AA #2 HPA for an extensive period of time (more that 2 months) and currently own the #1 & #4.

Trying to throw some light on your query in case if you are still looking for:

1) How they compare on power delivery for low to high impedance headphones - I have used headphones form 32ohms to 600 ohms Bayerdynamic with the #4 as well as #2 and never turned the volume more than 12'O clock. Dynamic range has been nothing less than what i can think of.

2) Refinement, detail, timbre, dynamics - #4 is basically the most neutral HPA you can get (or may be the most neutral i have ever heard). They are like studio monitors just amplifying the input signal without any coloration. Best when one really want to reach closest to what the music programmer wanted the recording to sound like.
#2 is like the closest you can get to a Tube sound signature from an SS amplifier. It is the best choice if you love tubes sound however not comfortable maintaining the sophisticated Tube setup.
For #1 I have a separate thread. :)

3) Reliability and Build Quality - As az9012 mentioned, they are built like a tank. Never failed till date for me.

4) Service and Support - Being an electronic and the weather & pollution we thrive in today, if at all it fails, Nitin Kaushik is just a call away. He is ever supportive and best part is one can learn a lot from him if he/she is open to acquire knowledge.

5) Any other Gotcha’s - What Headphone are you using? By the way, though it can drive almost all demanding headphones, do not expect any of this series to drive the HiFiman Susvara. There is a complete different solution for the same from Anode Acoustics.
Hi thanks for the extensive info. Appreciate it.

I was planing to buy but decided to diy 😂.
At first felt a bit lazy to diy but went ahead.

The phones i use range from 32-350 ohms. Was mainly looking to drive hd 580, hd 600.

Hi thanks for the extensive info. Appreciate it.

I was planing to buy but decided to diy 😂.
At first felt a bit lazy to diy but went ahead.

The phones i use range from 32-350 ohms. Was mainly looking to drive hd 580, hd 600.
Congratulations on the new initiative..
Do let us know how did it come out?

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new initiative..
Do let us know how did it come out?
It came out ok. Had more detail than the last build which I ripped off after 4 years(i do that), but has less slam. I have ripped it out again to tinker. I also know where I need to tinker more. Internal hookup signal cables seem to be one place where i need to swap out wires. Better power quality to the opamps and buf634’s is also on the cards.

This one was an experiment in many ways and it was nice to know that the spec sheet schematics/guidelines and part ratings usually sound very good if not the best 😂. The part manufacturers sure know what to do with their parts if anyone was wondering 😂. For e.g if they talk about bypassing power supply lines with ceramics 😱 you better use ceramics. The devil lies in the details of the spec sheet and you have to many a times read spec sheets of parts other than just the ones you are using. Some engineers like to disclose more than others 😉.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back