Import duties on records?

vshreyas

Hey guys,

I am stuck in a weird situation between the customs in India and DTDC. The sole reason of this post is to know whether anyone else has ever faced this issue, and how do I go resolving the matter, so here goes...

I purchased records from an online store in the UK called Cold Cuts/ Hot Wax.

The amount came up to 144 (11,964.00 rupees) plus another 40 for shipping it. The online retailer shipped it through their local courier DPD UK, forwarded further onto DTDC, their apparent parter in India.

The package has reached India two days ago, and tracking it shows customs cleared however I got a call from some guy in Delhi claiming to be from DTDC informing me that the package has custom duties levied to the amount of 5466.00 rupees. He also sent me an email asking me to transfer the said amount to a bank account under the name of DTDC Courier and Cargo Limited. However I informed him, that the custom charges are ridiculously high for an package thats worth just 12000 rupees. He claims its because of GST changes. Further on, the UK courier company claims too that there is a custom charge on the package, and leads me to the same guys. My local DTDC office claims and also from my experience, they never collect custom charges through online bank transfers, its usually done at the recipient's address/ or at the local hub.

What I would like to know, has anyone faced such an issue? Also would like to know what does the government classify vinyl records under, and above what amount should I pay tax and if any tax is levied, how can I refute it.

Your customs duty will be in that region. It seems correct. In the past I had to pay once for a bunch of CDs I ordered from Japan. Duty is on value plus shipping. So it will be on 184 pounds

Look at 30% customs duty. I import SACDs from Japan and incur the same when it's bulk or over Rs 10,000. You will always get a receipt from the customs stuck on the package declaring the duty charged. Check that and then pay.

I have imported more than 200 lps from Ebay usually in 10 to 15 lps per order over the past year and have never been charged by the customs. You can check the customs receipt and pay the delivery guy whatever charges that have been levied.

Hey guys,

I am stuck in a weird situation between the customs in India and DTDC. The sole reason of this post is to know whether anyone else has ever faced this issue, and how do I go resolving the matter, so here goes...

I purchased records from an online store in the UK called Cold Cuts/ Hot Wax.

The amount came up to 144 (11,964.00 rupees) plus another 40 for shipping it. The online retailer shipped it through their local courier DPD UK, forwarded further onto DTDC, their apparent parter in India.

The package has reached India two days ago, and tracking it shows customs cleared however I got a call from some guy in Delhi claiming to be from DTDC informing me that the package has custom duties levied to the amount of 5466.00 rupees. He also sent me an email asking me to transfer the said amount to a bank account under the name of DTDC Courier and Cargo Limited. However I informed him, that the custom charges are ridiculously high for an package thats worth just 12000 rupees. He claims its because of GST changes. Further on, the UK courier company claims too that there is a custom charge on the package, and leads me to the same guys. My local DTDC office claims and also from my experience, they never collect custom charges through online bank transfers, its usually done at the recipient's address/ or at the local hub.

What I would like to know, has anyone faced such an issue? Also would like to know what does the government classify vinyl records under, and above what amount should I pay tax and if any tax is levied, how can I refute it.

I am sorry for the situation. The Customs is paid only when you take delivery and to be paid to the Guy who is going to delivery the Item After showing the Receipt.

I has bad experience of paying 50%Customs(Not for LP Though) since the Custom Office Assessed the valued for the Goods.

Thats the reason we say Import is Kind of Luck when it comes to Customs.

Better say that you will pay on the delivery, once you get receipt.All the best

Please never transfer payments online, at the time of delivery, the carrier will have to present the customs duty receipt to you and you can make the payment directly on the spot. Even India post follows this method.

Regarding the actual duty charged, there are probably ground rules for this but it is hard to ascertain the actual amount. Customs duty is based on price + shipping, at the exchange rates relevant at that time.

Weird how the store is using a courier service. Whenever I have bought from UK, the parcel is sent by Royal Post Signed For and arrives by local post. If there is any customs, I pay the postman.

Like Reuben says, it's not advisable to do any online money transfer. Since it says CUSTOMS CLEARED, wait for delivery and pay(when presented with the receipt)

I have purchased many a times past from the US UK GERMANY, JAPAN different types of electronic gadgets, ranging from 1000 -10000/ Indian Rupees. 80 of the items came through local post free of customs duty. The remaining which were of higher value than 10000/- were charged custom duty, and the money was paid to the postman who delivered the parcel, with a hand written amount mentioned on the declaration form, with the Indian postal stamp. In one circumstance I was called by the Foreign Post office in Mumbai, to be present, so as to open the parcel in my presence, (since the parcel was very small but heavy due to metal diving regulators made of brass) since they doubted Gold metal. Though this parcel was gifted from the UK, i was still charged duty of 700 Rs as the custom appraiser checked with me the price of a new diving regulator, and I requested him not to charge as the gifted one to me was used by my brother in the UK, but he just say No. It is of commercial value. I agreed to pay customs at his office there itself at Ballard Pier. But he said no, and said the parcel and duty has to be paid to the postman once he delivers at my address.

On few occasions I received parcels from couriers like DHL, FEDEX, where they called me up, and told me of the parcel to be delivered with applicable custom duty chargeable. Please note that they gave me a receipt on delivery.

Sorry to say. PLEASE TELL YOUR COURIER GUY TO DELIVER THE PARCEL HOME, AND YOU WILL PAY at the addressed as mentioned prior to shipping.

Recently received a parcel of records via DHL. The cost was $92, with shipping it came to about $110. I had to pay Rs 3,800 duty. There was 28% IGST, plus handling fees, plus GST on handling fees. Make of that what you will. A real rip off in my opinion.

Hey, did you received the records?

I am also looking to purchase Vanessa Fernandez when the leeve breaks which Amazon shows around 3k custom deposit along with photo I'd/address proof. Is this how it be going forward?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back