Importing AV gear from Australia

Vivek Batra

Hi FMs

I am planning to import a Luxman dac from Australia. The prices are the cheapest compared to rest of the world except Japan. Does any one has any experience dealing with HiFi dealers in Australia? I have got quotes from some dealers over there who are ready to ship to India.

Any kind of lead, Dos and Don'ts, dealer review would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Regards
Vivek

If it's luxman you want , if I was in your place I would negotiate with designer audio and buy from them.

If it's luxman you want , if I was in your place I would negotiate with designer audio and buy from them.
Its out of production every where. I have traced it down to some dealers all over the world where its still in stock. I asked DA if they can import on my behalf but the answer is not very affirmative.

Or work with Anil of Hifimart.
Cheers,
Sid
Anil and Designer Audio is one and the same thing :) I have exhausted all the easy ways. I would have happily paid extra if it were available in India

Have bought gear from www.sonicpurity.com.au;
Good experience with him but he does not deal in Luxman.
I have 2 to 3 dealers who are ready to ship. I am just now counting on online reviews to find who is most trustworthy or may be some one over there to visit and check the unit for me.

Anil and Designer Audio is one and the same thing :) I have exhausted all the easy ways. I would have happily paid extra if it were available in India
Yes I guess Luxman is phasing out their older DAC's so only dealers who have stock can supply. Anyways all the best with the import then.
Cheers,
Sid

What's the link to the Aussie vendor?
There are couple of

1. https://bmc-audiovisual.com.au/
2. https://www.classaaudio.com.au/ (With some bad reviews, but cheapest)
3. https://www.frankprowsehifi.com.au/

Beaware of huge import duty, around 42% i think buy local would be better.
Even with duty and freight, it comes down cheaper than local :)

Beaware of huge import duty, around 42% i think buying local would be better.
Moreover it's not available in India/Japan as it's out of production

...Só you hàve any experience with this dac?..

While I never had the opportunity to have it in my setup, I have heard it well enough to know that I loved the sound of it. At the time I was on the lookout for a DA-250. Anyway, the last time I heard it was with the P-700u. The best I can describe the sound is as holographic, rich and full. Everything just fell into place, and you are just left with the pure joy of music. Smooth, natural and effortless.

This is not the DAC if you are super analytical about your music.

That being said, if you find yourself wondering if DACs have a sound signature, my answer is yes, and no!

Yes, because with any well designed and properly implemented DAC, you can hear the difference in real-world; especially if you listen on a resolving system, regardless of your experience. And audiophiles will love one over another.

No, because in an "ideal" scenario (whatever that means and whoever manages to create it) there shouldn't be any difference, right? It's simply supposed to convert digital signals to analogue, and any DAC should be able to do that. Well, only measuraholics can help you answer that.

Your hesitation is understandable. However, I would trust the Luxman engineers to have put in enough research and development, and many many hours of fine tuning to make sure that their components are as well system matched as they possibly could. So, good luck!

Cheers.

While I never had the opportunity to have it in my setup, I have heard it well enough to know that I loved the sound of it. At the time I was on the lookout for a DA-250. Anyway, the last time I heard it was with the P-700u. The best I can describe the sound is as holographic, rich and full. Everything just fell into place, and you are just left with the pure joy of music. Smooth, natural and effortless.

This is not the DAC if you are super analytical about your music.

That being said, if you find yourself wondering if DACs have a sound signature, my answer is yes, and no!

Yes, because with any well designed and properly implemented DAC, you can hear the difference in real-world; especially if you listen on a resolving system, regardless of your experience. And audiophiles will love one over another.

No, because in an "ideal" scenario (whatever that means and whoever manages to create it) there shouldn't be any difference, right? It's simply supposed to convert digital signals to analogue, and any DAC should be able to do that. Well, only measuraholics can help you answer that.

Your hesitation is understandable. However, I would trust the Luxman engineers to have put in enough research and development, and many many hours of fine tuning to make sure that their components are as well system matched as they possibly could. So, good luck!

Cheers.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I looked at your reply a bit late. I have already ordered DA-06 today :). The setup I have invested in is for my life now. So I'll be not overly sensitive and analytical about the results. I can't afford to do that anymore.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I looked at your reply a bit late. I have already ordered DA-06 today :). The setup I have invested in is for my life now. So I'll be not overly sensitive and analytical about the results. I can't afford to do that anymore.
So, all that's left now is the rabbit hole of cable games;).

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back