Importing AV Receiver and Speakers - What to Do?

s3rial_kill3r

I searched through some old threads but I didn't get any precise answer. So this thread. I am planning to pick up a Denon 1712 or Harmon Kardon 1650/1700 receiver from US next week (still to decide), along with BIC America DV62si or Pioneer SP-BS22 Andrew Jones Series Bookshelf (and SP-C22 center channel) speakers. Probably might as well pick some more if my colleague agrees to chug them across customs. Might also pick up a Bic F12 Sub and ship it to India, but it is going to be too expensive @ 42 pounds (but will still try to figure this out once I reach there).

Now here is the deal. I read the customs rules and it says anything over 25,000 INR and they charge 36.03% duty on the excess amount. For example, if they assess my goods to be 10,000 more than 25,000 or 35,000 Rupees, they charge me 3603 rupees/equivalent in dollars for duty.

Import Duty Calculation - How does custom officer calculate the duty?

My question is how is the duty calculated for something that is not yet available in India. For example, these speakers will cost me only 120$ in US in Best Buy/Amazon and the receiver around 400$. Going by conversion rate of 55 Rupees a dollar, they are still well below 25,000 limit.

I am looking for answers from people who have actually crossed the customs with such goods. Please don't speculate if you haven't done it yet, as I am looking for a concrete answer here.

If you have the invoice it definitely will help convince the customs guys about the actual price. Lots of us have brought items which aren't available here, so don't get stressed.

As GeorgeO said the new limit is Rs35 k. Last week I brought Denon 1913 (USD 434) which I had put it inside the suitcase. (The suitcase was opened by TSA, inspected and repacked as it was - found a slip inside). Among many other things (including nexus 4 :) ) I walked out of the green channel. No questions asked.

As GeorgeO said the new limit is Rs35 k. Last week I brought Denon 1913 (USD 434) which I had put it inside the suitcase. (The suitcase was opened by TSA, inspected and repacked as it was - found a slip inside). Among many other things (including nexus 4 :) ) I walked out of the green channel. No questions asked.

You mean to say the check-in luggage?? How safe it ius actually to carry a receiver in the check-in luggage. We do not know how badly the luggages are handled by the staff?
Can a AVR be carried as a cabin-luggage??

Also can somebody please post a link where the customs info can be found.

7 kg is the limit for cabin baggage for most international airlines if you are travelling economy. Can you check and tell us what an AVR weighs? A link would be helpful. If packed properly there is no problem-I have brought amps, AVRs and the like in checked in baggage.

You mean to say the check-in luggage?? How safe it ius actually to carry a receiver in the check-in luggage. We do not know how badly the luggages are handled by the staff?

You have tell at the counter that one pack is FRAGILE & need to handle with care.They carry that pack separately with their special tag.So it can be more secure.

You have tell at the counter that one pack is FRAGILE.

Yes you should. AND I'd suggest not to put it in another suitcase. I've seen baggage handlers at Mumbai airport throwing around suitcases marked as fragile. They dont give a crap about that sticker.

Point being - if they see a suitcase marked fragile they are likely to throw it around BUT if they see an electronics item itself (not in a suitcase) marked fragile they are less likely to throw it around.

So I'd suggest carry it in the original packaging, mark it as fragile and check it in directly. At least my Onkyo was shipped from Dubai this way - and came in OK.

Anyway the company packaging is pretty robust since the boxes are shipped worldwide in that.

7 kg is the limit for cabin baggage for most international airlines if you are travelling economy. Can you check and tell us what an AVR weighs? A link would be helpful. If packed properly there is no problem-I have brought amps, AVRs and the like in checked in baggage.
7 Kg is the limit in most of the airlines, but few like air france permits 12 Kgs.
I don not have a link for the weight of AVR. However a denon 1713 weighs aroud 8.3Kgs. Believe all AVRs should be between 8-10Kgs.

Airlines do weigh carry on bags sometimes, and if you exceed the limit then they can cause you problems. It has happened to me on Qatar Airlines.

Is this 35k limit valid only for individuals who carry on their own. I mean is it valid for deliveries made by amazon if any?

Is this 35k limit valid only for individuals who carry on their own. I mean is it valid for deliveries made by amazon if any?

Only for individuals. For online, tax will be included when you check out and proceed for ordering.

This is duty free baggage allowance for international passengers coming into the country. How is this connected with online ordering? I dont understand your query.

This is duty free baggage allowance for international passengers coming into the country. How is this connected with online ordering? I dont understand your query.

Well! You answered my question. The query was, if the 35k is applicable to online ordering too.(for the deliveries made by amazon).

Yes. It was checked in baggage. The weight of the AVR (in original pack) was 10.5 kg and the total weight of the suitcase was 22 kg. It came very safely.

Only for individuals. For online, tax will be included when you check out and proceed for ordering.

Tax is different from customs duty. And the 35k exemption is only for individuals carrying the stuff. If it comes as cargo, (online ordering) then the entire value is dutiable. And customs duty will always be collected upon delivery - never while ordering AFAIK. I havent myself ordered anything yet but had done extensive research.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back