Importing heavy (30kg each) speakers from Singapore to Delhi - how?

rwnano

Title - I was looking to import a pair of heavy speakers from Singapore to Delhi - they are 30 kg each. Total of 60 kg.
How do I import them? Which are the good shipping freight forwarders who can do this? Good couriers for heavy stuff from Singapore?
Moving agents in Singapore?
Thanks..

DHL or FedEx is a good option with insurance. You can get a discounted rate from singapore agents.

Sushant is correct, it is not allowed to import used AV gear last I checked, even if someone sends it you may not be able to release it.

If it is new gear I suggest DB Schenker,Damco and similar. I have used these freight companies to import speakers which are over a 100 kilos each, multiple times and they arrived well. Often the company you are buying from will arrange the freight.

Apply for an IEC certificate to get lower duty levied.
Some freight forwarders will insist that you have a GST registration. If you don’t have one , apply for GST registration as a casual tax payer - which is valid for 3 or 6 months.
DHL / FedEx - you will have to import via cargo route and not by courier.

I paid via bank transfer for a preamp to a pre owned seller in Singapore last year. When he went to courier it, multiple couriers refused to send used goods to India. He was honest to return me my money. Just in case you aren't buying new.
Used items not allowed. That could be the reason.

FIRST, you will have to study and learn how to best pack said equipment, to withstand dropping, etc. during the shipping process.

It is a fully interrelated TWO faceted process my friend !!! Pack and Ship.

I went through this two weeks ago, with an over 32 pound single ALTEC 16 inch driver / woofer. Not easy, not simple. Put thought into it !!

Last edited:
Title - I was looking to import a pair of heavy speakers from Singapore to Delhi - they are 30 kg each. Total of 60 kg.
How do I import them? Which are the good shipping freight forwarders who can do this? Good couriers for heavy stuff from Singapore?
Thanks..
try to find a Import agent in gurgaon. and check with them in the best way. These days its not worth it unless you are immigrating back OR handcarrying.

The issues you have are
1. above 30Kg its not a package but a consignment and different rules apply hence a Fedex/DHL cannot auto clear and bring it to your home.
2. used Items are not really allowed unless they are spare parts etc
3. GST/Import duty especially for Electronics has been increased hence not sure if the economics work out

Are speakers classified under "electronics" that these rules about not being allowed to import 2nd hand items apply?
If they are, isn't there a way out by applying to the DGFT/BIS to allow a specific import?

Are speakers classified under "electronics" that these rules about not being allowed to import 2nd hand items apply?
If they are, isn't there a way out by applying to the DGFT/BIS to allow a specific import?
Speakers do fall in, but i have also seen them as furniture as well :) so go figure ( i think Driver/Crossover is electronics)
They do fall into the 2nd hand rule.

Are the speakers worth getting into the hassle of importing from Singapore? Are they at a substantial discount over the new MRP abroad? Is your room big enough to accommodate such large speakers to sound at their best?

Thanks..
with DHL you can ship up to 70KG internationally FedEx and EMS have limit of 30KG

I was planning to import a Bookshelf speaker from Singapore and what I heard from dealers who hand carry them is the custom dept destroys the material. They don't allow us to import used products.

Query - A friend is about to travel from UK to Mumbai in couple of weeks. He would be carrying 1 pair of used bookshelf speakers for me. The pair of speakers have beeb purchased from ebay. Would he face any hurdle at the Mumbai airport?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back