Improving AM/FM Reception at Home and Introduction

dragonxwas

This is my first post, please be gentle,

I am an avid Vividh Bharti lover and its programs which are hosted on the AM radio, now here in south we don't have the royalty of having 24x7 FM hindi radio stations, all are tamil/english stations here..

I have made an observation,
Its that every car radio I hear, It recieves AM radio signals very cleanly, whereas most of the home audio radios have hum/rf noise,

I thought at first its because its isolated from mains, no transformer noise as in car its powered through the battery, but with my experience of building active subwoofer for cars, I can say that the car powersupply systems are almost as noisy if not the same as from a mains line..

So then it came to my mind that the secret must be in a car stereo, the way it recieves signal, I've also observed that the Car radio's don't have FERRITE ROD type antennas in them instead they have a external bipole antenna..

So recently as I've renovated my shop, I thought that It would be a great idea to use a car stereo to provide audio as the power output is 25wx4 so I could keep a single pair covering each floor..

So I went and got myself a 14V10A stepdown transformer and made a battery eliminator for the car stereo, also got the car stereo its a brand new sony CDX-GT303MP, I was so excited to have the system finally, no rf noise while I am listening to oldies being broadcasted..

So when I first fired up the system, It picked up the station fine, but lesser than expected , it was almost like just another mains fed reciever, so again the doubt came on that the problem was due to it being mains fed,So found out it will be best to make it battery powered, so got myself a 12v 5ah battery and connected it to the setup, disconnected from mains supply and fired the system up, but again in vain it still sounded like just another radio..

So Guys the question is What can I do to improve the reception quality ?
I've tried messing up with the bipole antenna (purchased seperately) in all possible ways but still in vain...

If its not possible to improve reception quality in this setup, could you please recommend a setup which is able to recieve am signals very cleanly..Also I have a kenwood 6043 Stereo in my car, which picks up the station very clean, like the way it should be heard.. So I am Lost..Please help :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
The culprit is the antenna and not the receiver.

An antenna in the house is obstructed by the walls and a host of other items within the house. On the contrary, a car's antenna is usually free and has no obstructions. As you are travelling, you will notice that the signal in the car also waxes and wanes. Whenever the car's antenna comes across any obstruction between itself and the radio signal, it will not be able to provide a clean signal to the receiver.

The only way to resolve the issue is to mount an antenna on your roof with clear unobstructed view, and carry the cable all the way to your receiver.

Cheers

Last edited:
welcome to the forum...

and for the fm reception why not go through the classic way of recpetion of DD

try this .. diy and simple... Yagi-Uda antenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Instructions
things you'll need:
Radios

Antennae

Radios

If you have a radio with a telescoping antenna, fully extend the antenna and rotate it to different angles.

If you live in a big city or mountainous area, move the radio to the place in your home that has the fewest large obstacles between you and the radio station's transmitter.

Switch from stereo to mono.

With a receiver or tuner, connect a wire-loop or T-shaped dipole FM antenna to the back of your unit. Move the antenna until you get the cleanest signal. Use a signal-strength meter or display to gauge signal strength if your unit has one.

Alternatively, upgrade to a third-party passive or powered antenna.

Install a rotatable roof antenna for the best possible reception. Connect your unit to an existing television roof antenna for the next-best alternative.

Improving FM Reception
If you are reading this, you must probably are in a fringe area, where reception is either poor or variable. The bulk of the following information is centered on low cost ideas for improving your individual reception. There is no substitute for a high quality radio or component receiver though, many boom boxes were designed for large city reception areas and are simply not able to pull in distant signals with ease.

Factors Affecting Reception
FM radio waves can be affected by many factors ranging from terrain to equipment. In general, FM transmissions are lines of sight similar to light waves. Unless an object (building, ridge, mountain, etc) is between you and us, you should have clear reception from the transmitter. Reception becomes a factor of the strength of the signal, as much as your location in relation to the transmitter. KEDU-LP is a low power community station by definition and is licensed for sixteen watts of stereo power from an elevation of 7,560 feet on Pikes Peak Road, opposite the Swiss Chalet Hotel on Mechem.

The following are some suggestions for improving home reception through the addition or adjustment of receiving antennas. These methods may or may not work in all cases, but improving your antenna is the single best solution to reception problems (short of moving or installing a translator). The solutions offered here range from things you can do almost for free, to equipment you can purchase. We are not selling equipment, just passing along tidbits of verified reception lore for your listening pleasure.

Antennas: Some General Concepts
An antenna is a collector of radio signals that improves your reception by providing more signal than would be otherwise supplied to the receiver.
An outdoor antenna is preferable to an indoor antenna.
A high location is better, whether it be the roof, a hill out back, or the top shelf of a bookcase.
Many things in a house can affect reception, so as a first step, try your radio or antenna in different spots in the house.
YOU are an antenna! If you improve reception by standing near or touching the radio or antenna, your system is telling you it needs a better antenna.
A rotorized (pointable) antenna is preferable to a stationary antenna.
Your Radio
Determine whether or not your radio has antenna terminals for attachment of an antenna. These would appear as:

Screws on the back labeled ant. 300 ohms or

A coaxial cable connector labeled coax/ant. 50 ohms

Otherwise, your radio has either an internal antenna that you cant see or a telescoping antenna. Either way, skip ahead to the section No Antenna Terminals.

Connecting an Antenna to Your Radio
There are two different types of antenna cable, flat two-conductor wire known as twin lead that is 300 ohms, or round plastic coated wire that is known as coaxial or coax that is 50-75 ohms. Coax is what cable companies use. It is a much better cable, but it is more expensive. Youll have to decide which to use if you are installing a new antenna or cable. Other than conducting a stronger signal, coax is useful in situations requiring the elimination of interference cause by nearby electric motors, computers, etc. Wed be glad to advise you.

If you have a TV antenna already installed, purchase a FM Splitter at our local Radio Shack Store. Follow the instructions, hooking up the FM output of the splitter to the radio and using the TV output to restore the connection to your TV. Experiment attaching wires to one screw and then the other to see what gets the best reception; the only rule is do whatever works best.

If you receive your TV signal via a cable system and your TV antenna is unused, then just hook it up to your antenna terminals on the radio and you should have dramatically better reception. If your cable system has an FM service, find out if KEDU is carried. If it is, you may want to subscribe to the FM service and eliminate any antennas, or use them in conjunction with the cable service; if it is not carried you may want to lobby your cable company to add KEDU to the FM service. Often cable companies are able to furnish very good signals at great distances from station transmitters.

If you are still experiencing reception problems after connecting an antenna, consider:

installing a motorized rotor to move your antenna from inside,

dedicating an FM antenna to permanently point to Pikes Peak Hill or,

dreaming up some unique arrangement allowing for pointing the antenna.

Using a Di-Pole Antenna
Di-poles are T-shaped wire antennas made for indoor use. You can buy them in many hardware or radio supply stores, and they are very inexpensive.

Attach the bottom leg of the T to the antenna terminals of your radio (experiment while attaching) and then play with the location of the T. The placement of the T is critical to the performance of the di-pole.

If you are really bold, or crave KEDU reception on a budget, you can make a custom di-pole. The advantage is that you can greatly increase a di-poles effectiveness by its size and/or placement outside! Youll need some of the twin lead cable we mentioned earlier.

The custom di-pole you make will be a T just like the ready-made you might buy, except youll be able to tailor it to your needs. However, you need to abide by these, or multiples of these, dimensions; the top bar should be 5'1" or 10'2" or 15'3" or 20'4", etc. and the bottom leg must connect at the middle of that top bar (2'6", etc.) You can drape custom di-pole over the roof of your house, or climb the tree in your front yard and tie it to the appropriate branches (of course, experimenting tirelessly to find the proper orientation of the di-pole for best reception). Twin lead is so cheap that you may find yourself quite proud of the dramatic improvement in reception for a bit of time, but very little money. However, dont kid yourself about the effectiveness of a custom di-pole versus a traditional metal TV/FM antenna.

Cut an appropriate length of twin for the top bar. In the middle of that length cut one of the two conductors and strip back the plastic coating. Now connect another length of the twin lead to the two bare conductors of the top bar. The other end is connected to your radio antenna terminals.

If a custom di-pole sounds like too much trouble, you can make a cut-and-split di-pole. Take some twin lead and split it down the middle. Attach the other end to the radio. Very simple, though not as effective as the custom di-pole.

No Antenna Available? Make a Wire Antenna
Homemade antennas can work very well. Often a piece of wire becomes an antenna without much fuss at all. It can be thick or thin wire, and free or cheap is the best wire around. Wire with a plastic coating is safer (remember to strip any coating away to allow connection of the wire to the antenna terminals), but bare wire is fine.

Use any piece of wire. Attach it to an antenna terminal. Run it over drapery rods and window casings. Throw it out the window and into the nearby tree. Toss it onto the roof. Do the same with two wires. Spend some time experimenting with the placement of these wires; often opposite directions work well. If this is strictly an inside job make sure that you arrange these wires so that youll be proud to point them out to visitors. See my antenna; I get KEDU loud and clear!

No Antenna Terminals
Clock radios normally dont have any antenna terminals or telescoping antennas. Try wrapping lots of wire around the radio; dont connect the wire to anything. The idea is to get a thick loop of wire near the radio.

Almost any large metal structure above ground can act as antenna. Aluminum rain gutters, air conditioning and heat ducts, metal window frames, aluminum siding and metal roofing are great antennas. NEVER USE an electrical outlet as an antenna. Using an alligator clip, attach one end of a single strand piece of wire to one of the above items to the previously mentioned massive loop of wire surrounding your clock radio by simply wrapping the loose end around the massive wire loop of wire around your radio. You should notice a good improvement in reception.

Other portable-type radios have telescoping antennas that may be improved by wrapping a flag of aluminum foil around the top, or attaching a length of wire to the telescoping antenna.

Other Ideas
1. Rabbit ears are cheap and they can be very effective. They do allow you to conveniently move them in many directions for best performance.

2. Select MONO on your receiver. For reasons beyond the scope of this brief information, MONO signals travel farther and have less noise in them.

3. Buy a booster or amplifier for your existing antenna. Sometimes they work wonders, sometimes they just work. Boosters need a certain amount of signal to work with, otherwise they end up amplifying noise rather than audio.

4. Here is an attic solution. You can install a standard radio-TV antenna (sometimes called a yagi) in your attic. You can position it for the best KEDU signal and gravity will simply hold it in place on top of the ceiling joists.

have a look at the Yagi antenna m sure this will solve your problem as it will be able to receive everything....

Yagi-Uda antenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia this the similar antenna we used in our older days of B&W television..

Dear dragonxwas

I happened to see your thread only today.

Your worry is not being able to receive Vividh Bharati.
As an avid MW and SWL, I have full sympathies and regards for you. The joy of listening to / tuning into Radio stations have been snatched away from us- by the changing technologies.

Let me analyse the first part of your thread.
You were getting better MW reception on your car Radio was just because you were out and in open.
Nothing more! When you are in open area, any antenna- ferrite or telescopic- catches signals well.
Take out your transistor and keep on the bonnet of your car parked on an open area. The reception will surprise you!

Now coming back to the indoors and the cruel modern-time technologies that are stealing us of our joys of MW listening..
The RF generated by TV sets, cables that carry satellite channels, cordless/ mobile phones ---all interfere with both MW and SW signals at varying degrees. Another main culprit are the tube lights.I mean the ones with electronic choke. It really affects radio reception.

If you are at home, keep your radio as away as possible from all these. Put that traditional bulb instead of Tube lights at least when you want to tune into Radio programme.

But keeping the radio away from other RF sources as explained above will not be possible if you are using the Radio in your office or shop. You have no contol over your ambience.

Extended antennas also may not help as longer antennas change the impedance level and reception might get still bad.

NOW I SHALL COME TO A FINE SOLUTION TO YOU, KEEPING YOUR BASIC REQUIREMENT IN MIND.

Just get DDs DTH system. Your favourite Vividh Bharati can be listened to with digital quality sound. All the AIR Channels are available there. The main Radio Radio channel from your state will also be there. (Hyderabad A in case you are from Andhra Pradesh, Calcutta A in case you are a Bengali etc).

Cost..less than three thousand.
It will be still less if you buy Ku band dish, LNBF, FTA receiver separately.

The receiver is available at a price as low as Rs.800 to Rs.1000.
You need not to disturb your Colour TV. Just buy a small B&W TV, even a second hand one, for receiving the Radio Channels.

Try this and enjoy aap ke farmayish.

Regards

Dear dragonxwas

I happened to see your thread only today.

Your worry is not being able to receive Vividh Bharati.
As an avid MW and SWL, I have full sympathies and regards for you. The joy of listening to / tuning into Radio stations have been snatched away from us- by the changing technologies.

Let me analyse the first part of your thread.
You were getting better MW reception on your car Radio was just because you were out and in open.
Nothing more! When you are in open area, any antenna- ferrite or telescopic- catches signals well.
Take out your transistor and keep on the bonnet of your car parked on an open area. The reception will surprise you!

Now coming back to the indoors and the cruel modern-time technologies that are stealing us of our joys of MW listening..
The RF generated by TV sets, cables that carry satellite channels, cordless/ mobile phones ---all interfere with both MW and SW signals at varying degrees. Another main culprit are the tube lights.I mean the ones with electronic choke. It really affects radio reception.

If you are at home, keep your radio as away as possible from all these. Put that traditional bulb instead of Tube lights at least when you want to tune into Radio programme.

But keeping the radio away from other RF sources as explained above will not be possible if you are using the Radio in your office or shop. You have no contol over your ambience.

Extended antennas also may not help as longer antennas change the impedance level and reception might get still bad.

NOW I SHALL COME TO A FINE SOLUTION TO YOU, KEEPING YOUR BASIC REQUIREMENT IN MIND.

Just get DDs DTH system. Your favourite Vividh Bharati can be listened to with digital quality sound. All the AIR Channels are available there. The main Radio Radio channel from your state will also be there. (Hyderabad A in case you are from Andhra Pradesh, Calcutta A in case you are a Bengali etc).

Cost..less than three thousand.
It will be still less if you buy Ku band dish, LNBF, FTA receiver separately.

The receiver is available at a price as low as Rs.800 to Rs.1000.
You need not to disturb your Colour TV. Just buy a small B&W TV, even a second hand one, for receiving the Radio Channels.

Try this and enjoy aap ke farmayish.

Regards

kmravindran, can we eliminate a tv when using DTH to listen Radio channels?
Is it possible to feed the signal of the DTH directly to the input of an amplifier? If so, how can we tune the stations?
Thank you,
sunder.

You can try Twin Coil Ferrite AM Antenna which will cost around 100 $. Pl. check ccrane.com.

It is an excellent antenna for AM reception. One of my friend at Bangalore is using the said antenna to receive Vivid Bharati Mumbai.

cheers,

kmravindran, can we eliminate a tv when using DTH to listen Radio channels?
Is it possible to feed the signal of the DTH directly to the input of an amplifier? If so, how can we tune the stations?
Thank you,
sunder.

You need a television for the first time to tune and add channels to the set top box and watch TV channels. You can connect the stereo audio outs to your amplifier. The STB remote control usually has a TV/Radio button. Press Radio and select channels the way you select TV channels. I have C Band and KU Band setups. Radio quality is better than FM. More over you gets free to air DTH channels.

Dear Sunder

The response given by Baijuxavier to your query is correct.
You need to have a TV set to ensure proper tuning of stations on your STB.
Then connecting the audio out to your Radio amplifier will do the trick.

But there is one problem here. What to do in case you need to select different Radio stations that are available on the DTH platform? One need to see the varios options of the Radio stations(the list of stations, I mean)) to select from.

Hence better not to avoid a TV receiver at the other end of your Ku band dish!

The expenses will be bare minimum if you opt to go for a small b/w TV (8")available in the electronics markets of amy city/town in India. The cost will be as low as Rs.500/- !

Attn. Mr.Dragonxwas: Besides the Radio stattions available on DD DTH, One can tune into quite a few FTA Radio channels with a C band dish as well. You may try in case you are interested.

Regards

Hi. I have a pioneer receiver and it came with a wire which is supposed to improve FM reception..I have tried both options -with wire and without and both suck. If I need to a good radio signal do I need to install an antenna say on the roof and bring the cable all the way to my receiver? seems too much work for FM radio.

I also have tata sky..would its dish and cables be of any use if I have to improve radio signal...I just want normal bangalore FM channels but with decent quality worth listening to.

Hi. I have a pioneer receiver and it came with a wire which is supposed to improve FM reception..I have tried both options -with wire and without and both suck. If I need to a good radio signal do I need to install an antenna say on the roof and bring the cable all the way to my receiver? seems too much work for FM radio.

Connect the antenna wire with the receiver and extend the cord upto outside the house through a door or window.

Thats what I did. Though my Onkyo receiver is near the door, inside the house it was finding only 1 FM channel. I connected the antenna and strechted the wire out of the door and now it finds all channels clearly!

I also have few queries on this topic.

We have 4-5 radio stations in Ahmedabad. Inside my house all radio instruments catch Radio Mirchi 98.3 very clearly. Not even slight disturbance. While all other channels either are not detected or have lot of disturbance. Now my questions:

1. Why is it that 98.3 works flawlessly everywhere in the house, whereas no other channels work without disturbance?

2. I just bought a clock radio for my wife (iball music boat). It doesn't have a antenna or even a provision for it. I am facing the same issue as above in this portable unit. Would appreciate if someone could please suggest a way to improve the signal quality.

Thanks,
Moshel

1. Why is it that 98.3 works flawlessly everywhere in the house, whereas no other channels work without disturbance? - 98.3 may be transmitting at a higher power or it might be closer to your home compared to other stations

2. I just bought a clock radio for my wife (iball music boat). It doesn't have a antenna or even a provision for it. I am facing the same issue as above in this portable unit. Would appreciate if someone could please suggest a way to improve the signal quality. - You will have to open up the cabinet, find the internal antenna, solder a longer wire to it and put everything back. Will void the warranty though

10 charecters

hi
can we use a FM antenna for cars, at home for improving the FM reception. These antenne with a fairly long cable are readily available on many ecommerce websites like eBay etc.

You need a television for the first time to tune and add channels to the set top box and watch TV channels. You can connect the stereo audio outs to your amplifier. The STB remote control usually has a TV/Radio button. Press Radio and select channels the way you select TV channels. I have C Band and KU Band setups. Radio quality is better than FM. More over you gets free to air DTH channels.
Bend it like beckham (baijuxavior) simple yet effective :clapping:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back